Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

Old 25-01-2018, 14:26   #91
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
The watershed was also in place when you were a teenager. As we don't know what time the programme was actually transmitted other than it was pre watershed, it could have been viewed by children younger than their teens.

Also the terms objected to are not in common use these these days is there any point in adding them to the playground lexicon.
I think, from memory, such language was used in the early evening as well.

Frankly, it's pathetic. I remember in one of the Star Trek series, the crew of the starship were called 'pinkskins' by these white aliens. I was so offended. Not!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2018, 14:34   #92
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Frankly, it's pathetic. I remember in one of the Star Trek series, the crew of the starship were called 'pinkskins' by these white aliens. I was so offended. Not!
Those racist Andorians

(They were Blue btw, not White)

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 14:47   #93
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Times change - we don't find it acceptable to ban Irish and dogs from boarding houses any more, or put homosexuals in prison or mental hospital, make women endure marital rape, or make women in offices make the tea/coffee as an expected part of their roles; society evolves.

Regarding the word that is at the basis of this thread, I think Charles M. Blow put it very well, about how it's the context and the person using a word (not just that one) that's important.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/op...etType=opinion

Quote:
MY father’s name is William Paul Coates. I, like my six brothers and sisters, have always addressed him as Dad. Strangers often call him Mr. Coates. His friends call him Paul. If a stranger or one of my father’s friends called him Dad, my father might have a conversation. When I was a child, relatives of my paternal grandmother would call my father Billy. Were I to ever call my father Billy, we would probably have a different conversation.

I have never called my father Billy. I understand, like most people, that words take on meaning within a context. It might be true that you refer to your spouse as Baby. But were I to take this as license to do the same, you would most likely protest. Right names depend on right relationships, a fact so basic to human speech that without it, human language might well collapse...

...A few summers ago one of my best friends invited me up to what he affectionately called his “white-trash cabin” in the Adirondacks. This was not how I described the outing to my family. Two of my Jewish acquaintances once joked that I’d “make a good Jew.” My retort was not, “Yeah, I certainly am good with money.” Gay men sometimes laughingly refer to one another as “******s.” My wife and her friends sometimes, when having a good time, will refer to one another with the word “bitch.” I am certain that should I decide to join in, I would invite the same hard conversation that would greet me, should I ever call my father Billy.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 25-01-2018 at 16:13.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 14:56   #94
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Those racist Andorians

(They were Blue btw, not White)
So they were, sorry!
Old 27-01-2018, 06:16   #95
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As I child I seldom heard the word, children were more likely to call each other white honkey or black honkey after hearing it on Love Thy Neighbour.

It must have been particularly hard for your brother at this time when it was deemed socially acceptable to make insulting remarks.
Someone said to me earlier today that they thought that the term 'honkey' was a fictitious insult created especially for Love Thy Neighbour and used instead of the usual names so as not to cause offence. Trouble was was that black & white people started using it as a new term to insult each other!

Can anyone here remember if this is actually correct or not?

Edit: Someone who works in the industry said yesterday that Talking Pictures hope to start subtitling their programmes from March. I wonder if this is because they think that they might as well do this for those with hearing difficulties if they have to check all dialogue anyway to ensure no more words slip through??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-01-2018 at 06:21.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 08:00   #96
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Someone said to me earlier today that they thought that the term 'honkey' was a fictitious insult created especially for Love Thy Neighbour and used instead of the usual names so as not to cause offence. Trouble was was that black & white people started using it as a new term to insult each other!

Can anyone here remember if this is actually correct or not?
The term was used in the !973 Bond film "Live and let die"

Quote:
Take that white honkey out the back and waste him
Love thy neighbour debuted in 1976.
Old 27-01-2018, 09:38   #97
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

In the 1958 movie The Defiant Ones, Tony Curtis' character John "Joker" Jackson refers to himself as "a honky".
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 15:15   #98
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

So it seems that what I was told was incorrect.

My own research has come up with a few explanations as to where it originated from, but all seem to agree that it's a derogatory term used by black people against white people. There are also different spellings of the term.

I find this odd as I could have sworn that the two neighbours in Love Thy Neighbour called each other black and white honkey

The two most common ones are that black people wanted something to use in response to being called a nigger and that the insult was used towards white men who went into black areas looking for prostitutes. They would honk their horns to summon a black prostitute that caught their eye, so any passing black men would call them "honkeys".
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 15:28   #99
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honky

There are many theories about the origin.
Old 10-02-2018, 20:03   #100
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This issue is now starting to piss me off.
Talking Pictures is about old Films. And yes in films from before the 60's quite often had many comments that would be offensive today.

For Christ sake can't these people get a life.

I am sending an email today stating that l support them in what ever film they show.

If they edit any part of a film from before the 60's amd 70's.It wont be worth having the channel.

IF, people don't like what they hear or see on Tv / Film. Turn over the channel. And get a life
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 20:13   #101
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I get preserving old movies but I also understand some things may be too bad to show now.
Old 10-02-2018, 20:17   #102
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

It's PC gone mad, we have ppl in this country that are so easily offended that it's scary!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 20:22   #103
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's PC gone mad, we have ppl in this country that are so easily offended that it's scary!
They get offended for other people that's the biggest problem.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 21:43   #104
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I get preserving old movies but I also understand some things may be too bad to show now.
This, quite frankly, is nonsense - no one is being forced to watch these old movies.

If the snowflakes cant hack it, they can just go watch the latest Big Brother, or whatever other nonsense they seem to think is good.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 22:28   #105
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
This, quite frankly, is nonsense - no one is being forced to watch these old movies.

If the snowflakes cant hack it, they can just go watch the latest Big Brother, or whatever other nonsense they seem to think is good.
I agree. I would also say that I am amazed that the younger generation tend to be attracted to such programmes, the content of which really is offensive!

Such strange standards we have these days!