Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Before I re-jig my set up a quick question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Before I re-jig my set up a quick question

Old 25-06-2018, 09:02   #1
Fitzer
cf.member

Fitzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Before I re-jig my set up a quick question

Morning all, some info from the group mind please :-)
I currently have the non V6 Tivo as the main box in the lounge with a very old V box in the spare bedroom which almost never gets used. Virgin have kindly sent me a V6 box as a replacement for the V box. My first thought is to move the 'old' Tivo upstairs and install the V6 in the lounge but there are loads of recordings still on the old box that SWMBO will want to watch in the comfort of the lounge. If I connect everything via ethernet to the router will she be able to stream the recordings from the old box to the V6 to watch on the main TV?
Thanks in advance, Ian
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2018, 09:05   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Before I re-jig my set up a quick question

As long as your old TiVo box has an ethernet connection to your Hub - then you should be able to stream between boxes with no issues.

The V6 can connect via Wifo - but not the old TiVo box.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:37   #3
Fitzer
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
As long as your old TiVo box has an ethernet connection to your Hub - then you should be able to stream between boxes with no issues.

The V6 can connect via Wifo - but not the old TiVo box.
Cheers, all will be connected via Ethernet, just wanted to be sure that the two boxes were compatible for streaming otherwise I'd have left the old one in place and stuck the V6 upstairs which seemed a bit of a waste :-)
Old 25-06-2018, 09:51   #4
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Have two V6 boxes and the old TiVo all streaming to each other nicely.
Old 30-06-2018, 14:32   #5
Fitzer
cf.member

Hmm, the new V6 box knows about the old Tivo but says it can't be reached so the recordings on it can't be watched from the V6. I can access the old one via the IOS app so I assume that means it's available on the network and I was able to copy the series links etc to the new one. Error on the V6 when looking at the old Tivo is C423

Last edited by Fitzer; 30-06-2018 at 14:48.
Old 30-06-2018, 16:29   #6
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Is it currently online on the network and switched on?
Old 30-06-2018, 21:29   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Is the "old" TiVo still active on your account, or has it been replaced by the V6? You won't be able to access the recordings if it has been deactivated.

If it is still active on your account, reboot your SuperHub, then, when the SuperHub is back up, reboot both the V6 and TiVo at the same time.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 15:21   #8
Fitzer
cf.member

Thanks both, the lure of the sun was too great so back to it today. To recap, the V6 box was a replacement for a V box which would shortly have been unsupported. Both the Tivo & V6 are live and have coax connections, they are also both attached to powerlines, the Tivo via a powered network switch as it is still in its original place under the TV and there are multiple things with network connections. Things then get a little tricky in that the SH2 is/was running in modem mode as I am using my Apple Time Capsule as router and backup device for the household computers so the powerline is connected to one of its LAN ports. The Tivo can see the V6 and can stream recordings from it as can the TV Control apps on iPhone & iPad. The same apps can see the Tivo and act as remote controls and can see the recordings but have no option to play them other than via the TV, when I click on setttings in the app I don’t get a streaming option which I do when I use the same app to connect to the V6. I have tried connecting the powerline to the SH (having re-enabled the ports) but still no joy and also then can’t see the Time Capsule. As such I’m back where I started, the V6 is in the bedroom where the old V box was and is now recording new shows etc. Eventually, when the Tivo has all been watched (hah, fat chance!) I may switch them over but until then I have given up (probably)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Have you tried rebooting both V6 and TiVo at the same time? In my experience, this is the best way of getting them to reconnect to each other.

Although it's unlikely to be the probelm here, I've also come across cases where two pairs of Powerlines interfere with each other. You could try connecting the V6 by Wi-Fi instead.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote