Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03   #541
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

The names of the channels is derived from the transponder scanned so I doubt if you are on the wrong sat unless of course some of the other EU sats have the BBC channels on them.. If you have stuff like BBC (northwest) BBC (London) ITV (Anglia) and others then you have the right sat..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2012, 16:45   #542
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyabouttown View Post
hi, thanks for replying, i will try that tonight. is it possible that i am on the wrong satellite, i noticed that if i scroll up and down the other satellites that a few of them show the same quality reading, could it be that i am pointing at one of those. the ross manual says there is no need to scan the astra sar as its already programmed in, which i presume would show the list of programmes available even if i wasnt on the right satellite.
if the quality is 63% and green you will get a very good picture reception.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

my Ross HD box receives every BBC,ITV SKY etc FREE TO AIR and many others with a quality of 60% coloured green.
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:38   #543
Mattyf
Inactive

Mattyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Got the Ross box got the dish up when tuning it shows 99% strength all the time regardless of where pointing and no signal quality. I have tried tuning with a sat finder and find various peaks and troughs in signal but the box still shows 99

Any ideas?/ help much appreciated

Ta
Mattyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 19:28   #544
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Hi and welcome,

It's been covered many many many times in this thread, but basically the tuning shows the connection between the LNB and the tuner, if you have a sat meter you need to point to one of those peaks and try tuning, if no luck then try another and so on.. If you do get some channels but they're not English then go to Lyngsat.com and see which sat you have by the channels scanned and then go either left (EAST) or right (WEST) until you hit 28.2E
Old 31-10-2012, 10:41   #545
wombat66
Inactive

wombat66 is an unknown quantity at this point

when recording on Ross HD box to usb stick is there a way of hiding the recording time display. ? Large figures and counting, bit of a distraction.
wombat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 11:06   #546
anni
Inactive

anni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I've just joined the forum - please excuse me, I'm not only a newbie but have no idea about technology at all (what is an lnb?!)..I'm in Southern Ireland, had a friend set up and tune in my Ross SD dish and box, and got all the English channels very happily - until last week, when all I could get was 'no programme'...I've tried retuning it based on the manual instructions, but can only pick some some asian channels, Challenge, S4C. I've no idea what's happened Can anyone tell me if there is something wrong with the Ross box? Thanks!
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 11:51   #547
Kymmy
Inactive

LNB is the little unit on the end of the dish. It recieves the signal, converts it to a lower frequency then sends it down the cable to the main reciever unit.

Try a reset of the ROSS box and then set up the unit as per the install instructions.
Old 22-12-2012, 14:36   #548
anni
Inactive

anni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kymmy...I've just borrowed a new Ross box from my Dad to see if mine was the problem, still not getting anything decent...I had a look at the Astra site online to see what channels I should be able to get, and it didn't show the BBC, ITV etc that I've been picking up until last week, just 11 channels showing up on the Astra site for me (none good!), but I'd been getting about 27 last week Should I be trying another satellite? And why the sudden change in what I'm picking up? Would appreciate any asistance, my daughter is not looking forward to TV free Christmas!

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Quick update - got in a professional, the problem was my lnb, didn't have waterproof tape on the external connection so it blew. All good now
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:39   #549
balloonman
Inactive

balloonman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi as a new member i am looking for some advice on the ross freesat dish I am moving to centrel france and the question i would like to now is will this dish give me british freesat
Please can anyone tell me
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:56   #550
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That depends how big the dish is, but quite possibly not. Many free to air channels aimed at the UK are on a spot beam focused on the UK and the signal strength tails off quite rapidly as you move out of the targeted area.

You can still get these channels in France but may need a larger dish.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40   #551
Kymmy
Inactive

http://www.astra2.org/dish.html

That shows you the footprint of the signal and the dish size needed. A 60cm dish will get the UK footprint over most of central and northern france but southern france may be a bust according to offical figures though looking at the experimental map a 60cm dish with a good lnb may work (click on image for larger picture) (the lnb on the ross setup equates to RX2)

Old 04-03-2013, 20:03   #552
balloonman
Inactive

balloonman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you chris and kymmy for the your information the dish is 65cm will that be to small
or would i need a french LNB as i am so green to this .
Thank you Jon.
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:41   #553
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There's no such thing as a "French LNB". The one that comes with the Ross kit will do. The question is over dish size. Looking at all the diagrams on the page Kymmy linked to I'm not convinced that a 60cm dish will do in central France. The spot beam for Astra 1N in particular, which is where the BBC's channels are, shows the borderline or a 60cm dish cutting right through the middle of France. It will be easy enough for you to pick up a slightly larger dish, so why not be safe rather than sorry ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52   #554
Kymmy
Inactive

Go to http://www.satbeams.com/footprints, click on the 28 degree sat then on the 1n UK footprint and then use the map to zoom in and click on the location where you are going to. If you click on the map at that location it'll tell you the minimum size dish you need.
Old 10-05-2013, 15:47   #555
Allycat
Inactive

Allycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, Ive just bought a satellite system for my motorhome, its a zone 2 dish which is a bit of a lump at 60cm. I probably only need a 40cm zone 1 dish but have just received an email from Aldi and they are selling a Ross system with a 30cm dish. Will this be Ok for use in Zone 1?
Allycat is offline   Reply With Quote