Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 14-12-2020, 11:45   #406
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

The 360 should play UHD from iPlayer fine as long as the TV has all the support it needs.

What's the model of your TV?
Old 14-12-2020, 11:54   #407
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Re-contracted for Ultimate Oomph for 18 months a few weeks back to get a discount (I wouldn't really have left, the broadband is great, but the TV is not Sky...)

So today I rang customer services to try my luck on getting a 360 upgrade to have the new interface to play with over Christmas. Apparently customer services can't help and I'll get an email. At some point in the future. Could be today. Could be ....

Last edited by jrhnewark; 14-12-2020 at 12:10.
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:10   #408
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

I'll check on my parent's Sony TV.

@BenMcr are there specific settings required on the box like there were with the TiVO-based software?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:18   #409
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not as much no. The 360 is set to 'Automatic' at install which means it always matches your TV's native resolution.
Old 14-12-2020, 12:33   #410
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Can confirm with the 360 box connected to a 2020 UHD Sony TV, iPlayer within the 360 box showed UHD content. No settings tweaks required
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 21:24   #411
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

First real problem, now had a couple of recordings fail.

Error code CS2200. Recording failed due to a technical issue??
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 01:02   #412
jonH68
cf.member

jonH68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonH68 View Post
Does anyone see the BBC iPlayer UHD trials/series on their 360 box ?

Works well when viewing on my native Sony TV iPlayer app but just curious about the 360.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonespeaker View Post
I searched for UHD on iPlayer on my TV360 box and although it finds several programmes (Dracula etc) it doesn't appear to play in UHD although the picture quality looks great.

I then tried my LG TV built in iPlayer and searched for UHD and it found the same programmes, except the title now has a UHD logo next to it.

So unless the TV360 iplayer omits the UHD logo, I don't know whether it does or doesn't lol
Thank you for your reply - that exactly matches my experience using my Sony TV built in iPlayer.
jonH68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 01:05   #413
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

ha so got the oomphy package earlier and mentioned the 360 thing.

im guessing its really not that great or that bad? wont be installed for a while though, early jan
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 01:06   #414
jonH68
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The 360 should play UHD from iPlayer fine as long as the TV has all the support it needs.

What's the model of your TV?
Thank you for your reply.

TV is Sony KD-49XG9005 which does support UHD - using the TV's built in iPlayer I can view the UHD demo (accessed through the iPlayer settings menu) and the 5 available UHD series which show 'UHD' next to the programme title - through the built in TV iPlayer the picture is superb.

The picture is still very good through the 360 box but I don't get the option to view the UHD demo via the settings menu and when I search UHD, whilst it brings up the 5 series 'UHD' is not detailed in the program title.

This is the same on my Apple TV 4K which the BBC have advised is not a supported device for their UHD iPlayer trial so I was curious if the 360 box was the same.

Is there a way of telling the format a programme is being broadcast in - e.g is there an Info button I am missing on the 360 remote control ?
Old 15-12-2020, 01:22   #415
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

According to the manual for that TV you may need to connect the 360 box to a specific HDMI input:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47485671M.pdf
Quote:
HDMI IN 2/3
To enjoy high quality 4K 50p/60p contents, connect a Premium High Speed HDMI cable to the HDMI IN 2/3 and set the [HDMI signal format] to [Enhanced format].
For details of supported formats, refer to the “Specifications” in this manual
(page 9-10).

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

Oh and probably reboot everything to redo the HDCP connection
Old 15-12-2020, 01:30   #416
jonH68
cf.member

Quote:
According to the manual for that TV you may need to connect the 360 box to a specific HDMI input:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47485671M.pdf

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

Oh and probably reboot everything to redo the HDCP connection
Thanks for your reply - have previously undertaken a reboot.

The TV is connected via HDMI 3 (ARC) to a Denon AVR which itself is fully 4K HDR/UHD etc. compatible - the 360 box is connected to the AVR.

The ATV 4K is also connected like this and 4K programs/films play perfectly with the info detailing they are playing in 4K.

The 360 box also plays, for example, the BT Sport UHD channel without any issue.
Old 15-12-2020, 01:51   #417
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Fair enough.

The problem with the iPlayer though always ends up being how it works out whether it should offer the UHD content or not via an external device.

My understanding is that the BBC don't count a device as being compatible unless it supports both the 4K resolution and HLG HDR.

The V6 and 360 do, but only when connected to a device that supports the BT.2020 Wide Colour Gamut standard via HDMI. I believe that's the 'enhanced' option as mentioned in the Sony manual.

When the World Cup was in UHD back in 2018 it was some definite fun and games trying to get it working via the V6 on different makes and models of TV.

BT Sport UHD on Virgin TV isn't in UHD so only needs the SDR support to play. And I believe the iPlayer UHD demo will play in 4K SDR without the BT.2020 support for some reason, so isn't a great indicator that everything is set right.

What's the Denon AVR model?

Last edited by BenMcr; 15-12-2020 at 01:56.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 02:33   #418
jonH68
cf.member

Quote:
Fair enough.

The problem with the iPlayer though always ends up being how it works out whether it should offer the UHD content or not via an external device.

My understanding is that the BBC don't count a device as being compatible unless it supports both the 4K resolution and HLG HDR.

The V6 and 360 do, but only when connected to a device that supports the BT.2020 Wide Colour Gamut standard via HDMI. I believe that's the 'enhanced' option as mentioned in the Sony manual.

When the World Cup was in UHD back in 2018 it was some definite fun and games trying to get it working via the V6 on different makes and models of TV.

BT Sport UHD on Virgin TV isn't in UHD so only needs the SDR support to play. And I believe the iPlayer UHD demo will play in 4K SDR without the BT.2020 support for some reason, so isn't a great indicator that everything is set right.

Hi, really appreciate the guidance.

It’s the Denon X1600H
Old 15-12-2020, 07:53   #419
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Fair enough.

BT Sport UHD on Virgin TV isn't in UHDso only needs the SDR support to play. And I believe the iPlayer UHD demo will play in 4K SDR without the BT.2020 support for some reason, so isn't a great indicator that everything is set right.

I don't understand

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-uhd-virgin-tv
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 08:36   #420
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonH68 View Post
Hi, really appreciate the guidance.

It’s the Denon X1600H
I should also check that the Denon is set to Enhanced on HDMI

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1600H/N...SYsvvlcemq.php

Last edited by BenMcr; 15-12-2020 at 08:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote