Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 09-12-2020, 21:36   #361
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
How to make friends and influence people by RC

No misunderstanding on my part mate.
Your posting style comes across as though you like to think that you know everything and cannot accept that, like everyone, this is impossible.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2020, 21:42   #362
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Your posting style makes you come across as crass and sarcastic, but hey we aren't all shouting about that.

P.S. I do know everything

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 22:40   #363
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

im assuming the mini boxes still need the coax cable and dont work via wifi or anything inherently cool? if I have a point upstairs for the existing broadband, im guessing I could use that for TV as well.

tried phoning virgin tonight but was on hold for 30 mins
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 23:04   #364
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Correct. All 360 boxes still need a coax connection.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:51   #365
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Correct. All 360 boxes still need a coax connection.
Is this installed for free for the second box Ben?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:31   #366
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Does the 2nd box/minibox only need coax cable to receive live tv/epg channels? If so are all the apps, catchup and boxsets available without the coax? and could you still watch BBC live via the iplayer app?
Is this the same for a second updated V6 box rather than a minibox?

Last edited by fox35; 10-12-2020 at 06:43.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:33   #367
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Pricing is the same as today it has been since the Summer for additional boxes. You will get a manned install for any 360 mini boxes if you need it. Covid-19 secure rules allowing.

And although some of the box features may work over the home network rather than a coax connection, Virgin Media won't supply it without a full install. A box not connected to coax throws up all sorts of errors in diagnostics and I'm honestly not sure how the 360 platform deals with it from a customer perspective. It's not a planned scenario.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-12-2020 at 06:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:19   #368
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

What about after the end of linear television will it need coax? Asking for a friend.

Last edited by jfman; 10-12-2020 at 07:27.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:54   #369
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What about after the end of linear television will it need coax? Asking for a friend.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:24   #370
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

To absent friends.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:42   #371
MattGarner
cf.member

MattGarner is an unknown quantity at this point

So are the mini boxes different to multi-room boxes? It seems in Ireland the connection setup on their 360 Multi-view room boxes allow you to connect via Ethernet or Wi-Fi as shown here: https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv3...-room-viewing/

Why have they gone down a different approach for the UK? Just curious by the way. As the above posts sounds like a coax cable is required for any mini boxes.
MattGarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:05   #372
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

The UK and Ireland mini boxes are exactly the same.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv3...ion-and-setup/

Quote:
Installation Steps
1. Connect the Virgin TV 360 HDD box or MRV 360 box to a co-axial TV outlet and connect the HDMI cable to the TV. Each box will also need to be connected to your VM Hub modem via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. MRV boxes will be connected via Wi-Fi or using a Powerline adapter if required.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:11   #373
MattGarner
cf.member

Quote:
The UK and Ireland mini boxes are exactly the same.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv3...ion-and-setup/
I'm specifically talking about multi-room boxes that aren't connected via Coax according to their setup video guide. I think it actually states that in the quote you've posted

"MRV boxes will be connected via Wi-Fi or using a Powerline adapter if required."

Assuming MRV = Multi-room? Although they don't specifically mention 360 at the end of your quote but the link I posted mentions 360 multi-room and there isn't a mention of coax.

It's just a bit confusing that the whole video doesn't mention it needs to be connected via Coax and goes along the setup of connecting it via Ethernet or Wifi.

Last edited by MattGarner; 10-12-2020 at 11:15.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15   #374
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

'MRV 360 box' is the UK 360 Mini box. There is only one version of the 360 non-HDD box. It's the same in Ireland as it is in the UK. It requires coax.

So the setup instructions is in addition to coax, not instead of.
Quote:
Each box will also need to be connected to your VM Hub modem via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:18   #375
MattGarner
cf.member

Quote:
'MRV 360 box' is the UK 360 Mini box. There is only one version of the 360 non-HDD box. It's the same in Ireland as it is in the UK. It requires coax.

So the setup instructions is in addition to coax, not instead of.
Don't you think it should mention coax in this specific video on here though? https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv3...-room-viewing/

There doesn't seem to be a mention of it. There is on your link and the video posted on there, as they even show an image of the cable/splitter. But on the dedicated Multi-room viewing page, the video doesn't seem to mention it and states it uses wifi or ethenet to connect to the main 360 box. So hence the questions and confusion.

Last edited by MattGarner; 10-12-2020 at 11:22.