Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2017, 02:52   #1996
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

I think that they will probably come to an agreement and pay less than what ITV want as a compromise.

Then when any contracts expire, VM/Sky will stop subsidising channels such as ITVBe & ITV Encore to recoup some or all of the charges.

Freesport have now confirmed that they will be available on all platforms, not sure if this means it will be on VM from launch though on 31/8/17.

It will show rugby, football etc. I was a bit worried that as a free sports channel it would be showing the tiddlywinks final of something!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-07-2017 at 02:56.
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2017, 04:36   #1997
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think that they will probably come to an agreement and pay less than what ITV want as a compromise.

Then when any contracts expire, VM/Sky will stop subsidising channels such as ITVBe & ITV Encore to recoup some or all of the charges.
As I understand it, the payment ITV wish to receive is a re-transmission fee for the PSB content over which they hold copyright. Originally it was planned to remove a loophole that allowed third parties to stream PSB content over the internet, without payment to the PSB. ITV now seems to have seen an opportunity to extend this to cable.

Although ITV and other PSB broadcasters have expressed a desire for all subscription platforms to pay for the PSB content, it's not so easy to ask Sky for this fee. PSB's providing their own transponders on satellite, and paying Sky for regionalised coverage in the EPG, can hardly claim that something they effectively transmit themselves should carry a "re-transmission" fee. So it doesn't really apply to Sky.

So, they seem to want, not only to get away with not providing their own infrastructure on cable, but to also charge the cableco for the privilege of re-transmitting the service on their behalf. A penalty for operating a closed system perhaps.

The situation is not really what the government intended. They made it clear when the change of law was proposed that they didn't expect it to lead to additional charges. If I remember correctly, it was stated that they would have to take another look at the situation if charges were introduced. Unfortunately, the government now appears to be backing away from that stance and leaving the decision on any new charging structure to the market.

https://www.ft.com/content/037019ae-...f-79eb4891c97d

Obviously, any charges imposed on the cableco would have to be passed on to the end user. So cable viewers get to pay for the PSB's through the advertising budget overheads in any goods they purchase, as with users of other platforms. Then they get to pay again through any supplementary fees charged by the cableco. Not the fairest of charges is it?

Last edited by jj20x; 28-07-2017 at 04:43. Reason: Link added explaining the governments initial stance.

Old 28-07-2017, 09:06   #1998
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

There will be two reactions from customers; those who don't see why they should have to pay for a PSB channel that others can access on Freeview, so would prefer a blackout on Virgin, and those who feel they pay good money to Virgin every month yet would be unable to view the country's most popular commercial channel.

I don't have Virgin TV, but if I did I'd be in the first group. But then I rarely watch the channel anyway.

ITV does need to tread carefully - a blackout on Virgin could do significant harm to their, already faltering, ad revenues.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:24   #1999
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
There will be two reactions from customers; those who don't see why they should have to pay for a PSB channel that others can access on Freeview, so would prefer a blackout on Virgin, and those who feel they pay good money to Virgin every month yet would be unable to view the country's most popular commercial channel.

I don't have Virgin TV, but if I did I'd be in the first group. But then I rarely watch the channel anyway.

ITV does need to tread carefully - a blackout on Virgin could do significant harm to their, already faltering, ad revenues.
Agreed. Maybe VM should just put the TV Player app on the system and people could access ITV that way during the blackout, which I think would be fairly short lived.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Quote:

Freesport have now confirmed that they will be available on all platforms, not sure if this means it will be on VM from launch though on 31/8/17.

It will show rugby, football etc. I was a bit worried that as a free sports channel it would be showing the tiddlywinks final of something!
I don't think VM would be interested in a compromise on payment to ITV. They would not wish to concede the principle of having to make a payment in the first place.

The charge does not apply to Sky, so I see no reason for them to pull out of their support for ITV Encore.
Old 28-07-2017, 15:12   #2000
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Yes, ITV confirmed in a conference call yesterday that they believe that this only applies to cable and not to satellite.

My source for the implications for Sky came from this article:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/i...drop-with.html

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
As I understand it, the payment ITV wish to receive is a re-transmission fee for the PSB content over which they hold copyright. Originally it was planned to remove a loophole that allowed third parties to stream PSB content over the internet, without payment to the PSB. ITV now seems to have seen an opportunity to extend this to cable.

Although ITV and other PSB broadcasters have expressed a desire for all subscription platforms to pay for the PSB content, it's not so easy to ask Sky for this fee. PSB's providing their own transponders on satellite, and paying Sky for regionalised coverage in the EPG, can hardly claim that something they effectively transmit themselves should carry a "re-transmission" fee. So it doesn't really apply to Sky.

So, they seem to want, not only to get away with not providing their own infrastructure on cable, but to also charge the cableco for the privilege of re-transmitting the service on their behalf. A penalty for operating a closed system perhaps.

The situation is not really what the government intended. They made it clear when the change of law was proposed that they didn't expect it to lead to additional charges. If I remember correctly, it was stated that they would have to take another look at the situation if charges were introduced. Unfortunately, the government now appears to be backing away from that stance and leaving the decision on any new charging structure to the market.

https://www.ft.com/content/037019ae-...f-79eb4891c97d

Obviously, any charges imposed on the cableco would have to be passed on to the end user. So cable viewers get to pay for the PSB's through the advertising budget overheads in any goods they purchase, as with users of other platforms. Then they get to pay again through any supplementary fees charged by the cableco. Not the fairest of charges is it?
No it's not and if ITV get away with it, channel 5 look likely to follow suit from what they've said.

IIRC it was a free streaming site called TVCatchup that started all this by streaming free channels over the internet without the broadcasters permission.

ITV objected to others obtaining advertising income off the back of their programmes, so the Government changed the law which comes into affect on the 31st of this month.
Old 28-07-2017, 15:36   #2001
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

ITV have their 2 biggest advertising programmes in the Autumn and Winter with X Factor and I'm a Celeb.
I really can't see them ditching millions of potential viewers to those programmes
Old 28-07-2017, 15:36   #2002
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Viacom are to reintroduce the Paramount Channel to the UK as a FTA channel (it won't be replacing Spike as it did in America).

It will show films and drama as opposed to the comedy that it's predecessor did.

Let's hope VM pick it up.
Old 28-07-2017, 16:08   #2003
jj20x

Quote:
My source for the implications for Sky came from this article...
Although it shouldn't affect Sky's services via satellite, it would apply to Sky's proposed IPTV service.

Old 28-07-2017, 19:19   #2004
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Viacom are to reintroduce the Paramount Channel to the UK as a FTA channel (it won't be replacing Spike as it did in America).

It will show films and drama as opposed to the comedy that it's predecessor did.

Let's hope VM pick it up.
That's right, and it looks like it will be coming to VM.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/v...-freeview.html
Old 28-07-2017, 20:50   #2005
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

So that'll be a price rise of £3pm then?
Old 28-07-2017, 21:10   #2006
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Well, I would class VM as "a major platform", so let's hope so.
Old 28-07-2017, 22:49   #2007
jj20x

Quote:
Well, I would class VM as "a major platform", so let's hope so.
Perhaps following the Viacom tradition of replacing one of their +1 channels with the new one on VM. Time will tell.

Old 29-07-2017, 17:57   #2008
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

We have just seen that an Soft Launch has happen for Virgin Kids app. Available on Apple App Store.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 29-07-2017, 21:22   #2009
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
We have just seen that an Soft Launch has happen for Virgin Kids app. Available on Apple App Store.
Also on the play store on Android
Old 29-07-2017, 23:49   #2010
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Perhaps following the Viacom tradition of replacing one of their +1 channels with the new one on VM. Time will tell.
It's now being speculated that 5USA will close in favour of the Paramount Channel.
Closed Thread