Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 05-11-2018, 18:39   #5821
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

They have done tests during the spikes, and find "no problems".
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2018, 21:10   #5822
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
They have done tests during the spikes, and find "no problems".
Maybe if you got a Hub3 with more downstream channels your problem would go away. This might also be why they can't find an issue, because you are only connecting to 8 downstream channels instead of 24, and as such aren't load balancing correctly as you could with up to date equipment. The amount of available bandwidth available to you is severely reducing by keeping the old kit, so it isn't really doing you any favours at all.

If your wifi coverage is more important to you, then maybe this is something you'll just have to live with. Without changing to a Hub3, you'll never know.
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:59   #5823
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I trialed the hub3 and had the same problems, plus very poor wifi. But once I knew the orientation of the internal aerials, I turned it 180 degrees (so all the cabling was facing me). Only slightly better wifi, but the spikes on the TBBM were the same.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21   #5824
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Last 24 Hrs S.H.3 FIRMWARE 9.1.116V
Attached Images
File Type: png TBB PING MONITOR.png (97.2 KB, 42 views)
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:52   #5825
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
Last 24 Hrs S.H.3 FIRMWARE 9.1.116V
That looks normal for that firmware, future firmware will reduce that yellow.
Old 07-11-2018, 14:46   #5826
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Remember it is best to share your graph using the supplied BBCode template as this covers up personal information such as your IP#

Copy and paste the contents of this last box having generated your graph:

BQM_share.JPG
Old 17-11-2019, 12:27   #5827
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

The other week we had some work done which meant getting a new IP address so I had to make a new thinkbroadband graph. The old IP was just showing all red. I didn't actually delete it for some reason and now I've noticed that the graph has come back to life. This might be a stupid question but is it true after a while that someone in a different area will now have my old IP address or does it not work like that?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:41   #5828
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

@Mythica, yes someone else will be issued with your original IP address.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:45   #5829
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The other week we had some work done which meant getting a new IP address so I had to make a new thinkbroadband graph. The old IP was just showing all red. I didn't actually delete it for some reason and now I've noticed that the graph has come back to life. This might be a stupid question but is it true after a while that someone in a different area will now have my old IP address or does it not work like that?
That's exactly how it works. When you connect your IP address is taken from a pool (or block) of addresses. Due to the time for the work to be taken your IP addy was returned to the pool and when you reconnected you again drew an IP addy from the pool. Your old IP remained in the pool mand someone else was allocated it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 13:39   #5830
Mythica
cf.geek

Thanks for the answers. So what would happen if you were IP banned from a website or service like playstation or something? If the new IP address I received was banned from a website I wanted to sign up to, what would happen?
Old 17-11-2019, 13:41   #5831
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. So what would happen if you were IP banned from a website or service like playstation or something? If the new IP address I received was banned from a website I wanted to sign up to, what would happen?
That IP would be banned from that site.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 14:32   #5832
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Exactly what you might expect - that IP remains banned. However most major sites are aware of how this all works and only temp ban an IP address (or if it's banned because you're doing something naughty, they'll go to your ISP and complain).

It's trivial to force a new IP on most ISP's so IP banning is rarely effective for long. Plus if you're being particularly bad, they can ban entire ranges to get rid of you.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 15:03   #5833
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Exactly what you might expect - that IP remains banned. However most major sites are aware of how this all works and only temp ban an IP address (or if it's banned because you're doing something naughty, they'll go to your ISP and complain).

It's trivial to force a new IP on most ISP's so IP banning is rarely effective for long. Plus if you're being particularly bad, they can ban entire ranges to get rid of you.
Something I'd never thought about till I'd seen the graph go back active. Cheers for the answers.
Old 18-11-2019, 10:21   #5834
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Firmware = 9.1.1802.613

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 18:46   #5835
WhiteHartMart
cf.member

Services: Virgin 500/35 as part of Ultimate Oomph bundle :)
WhiteHartMart is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine right now - SH3 with Netgear XR500. Noticed some very minor packet loss the last day or so.
WhiteHartMart is offline   Reply With Quote