Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 15-11-2018, 13:17   #406
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wouldn’t, because it’s an unmanageable scenario - people with Tourette’s can’t control if/when they may utter obscenities, on-line gaming is millisecond critical, so delays cannot be introduced without ruining the game, so the only option is to allow people with Tourette’s to play without microphones, so as not to allow the possibility of children hearing obscenities.

Remember, it’s all about reasonable accommodations in order to avoid a disabled person being placed at a “substantial disadvantage” compared with non-disabled people when accessing these services and facilities, not blanket responses, and the Game Server providers have a duty of care to the children.

It is about what is practical in the service provider’s situation and they will not be required to make adjustments that are not reasonable because they are unaffordable or impractical.
There are a number of ways that this could be managed, the option put forward by yourself seems perfectly reasonable.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm guilty of beating about the bush so let me direct.

I consider you ignorant and arrogant for deciding that I need ANY kind of protection. Rather than looking at people as individuals you're deciding people need protecting because of them being in a 'group'.

Seriously, get down off your high horse. Don't go declaring problems where there aren't any.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Not rationally it hasn't.
There are numerous problems on the internet for disadvantaged and vulnerable people which need addressing. For example, children are groomed by paedophiles, more and more people are being scammed, people with fragile mental health are being encouraged to take their own lives or bullied into it etc etc.

If you don't believe that your disabilities put you at a disadvantage or make you more vulnerable than others in the same position, it's your right to do so. However, your diagnosed disabilities will affect you.

I do agree that disabled people are individuals and should be treated as such, in fact the legislation currently in place does take this into account. There is no one size fits all solution.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-11-2018 at 13:33.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2018, 13:21   #407
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
However, your diagnosed disabilities will affect you.
Tell me how.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 13:33   #408
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Except that it hasn't.

If I tell CF that I am vulnerable because I have learning difficulties and sometimes I cry when people disagree with me, what does the forum do to alert users to this fact?

If they don't label that person, what do they do? It's a fair question, surely.
No site would label the individuals, that would be wholly innapropriate for obvious reasons. However, if it is known that a disabled person (or any other person classed as vulnerable/disadvantaged) has particular needs, reasonable adjustments should be put in place.

This may come to light from:

- Self definition e.g. a man may mention that he has a male partner without expecting homophobic treatment.

- A person who has dementia might decide to make this known to explain their circumstances and should expect people to be kind & understanding as opposed to being bullied because they keep forgetting things.

- A black member may decide to upload their photograph and shouldn't be subject to racism.

- A woman should not have to put up with sexist comments.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Tell me how.
Aspergers and ADHD will affect you as you have been diagnosed with these conditions by a medically trained professional.

There are common problems caused by these conditions, but this will obviously vary from person to person. I won't patronise you by going into the details as i'm sure you're already aware of them.

You are a perfect example of someone who has chosen to declare that they have a disability and shouldn't be treated badly as a result of your circumstances.
Old 15-11-2018, 13:50   #409
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I won't patronise you by going into the details as i'm sure you're already aware of them.
Well that ship has long since sailed....as in...

Quote:
You are a perfect example of someone who has chosen to declare that they have a disability and shouldn't be treated badly as a result of your circumstances.
Anyway, how do you decide who in these groups wants/needs 'protecting'? Do you just assume?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 22:45   #410
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Prince William now getting involved in the issue:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/prince...8-11?r=US&IR=T
Old 18-11-2018, 09:52   #411
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

That link is no use to me as an ad blocker user.
Old 18-11-2018, 12:18   #412
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
That link is no use to me as an ad blocker user.
Here is the text of this story. There's nothing really to disagree with here, but Richard's support for the type of legislation he has proposed is not practical at all. The idea that certain people require users of a site to treat them differently would not work without knowing who they were, and yet he correctly says that he wouldn't support 'labelling'.

Prince William launches unprecedented attack on tech giants: 'They seem unable to engage in constructive discussion about the social problems they are creating'

The Duke of Cambridge Prince William criticised big tech for failing to deal with problems like cyberbullying and hate-speech profligating on their platforms in a speech at the BBC, the Telegraph reports.The Duke heads up an anti-cyberbullying taskforce, and has dealt with companies including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Apple, and Google, but has found their response to the problems at hand frustrating."The noise of shareholders, bottom lines, and profits is distracting them from the values that made them so successful in the first place," the Prince said.

Prince William rebuked big tech firms for failing to adequately respond to problems on their platforms like cyberbullying and hate-speech, the Telegraph reports.

In a speech at the BBC ahead of the launch of its KOW app, designed to prevent children from sending or receiving troubling material on their devices, William accused the tech industry of failing to live up to its responsibilities.

The Prince has been leading a taskforce to combat cyberbullying, but said he has found tech companies including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Youtube, Apple and Google, unwilling to fully cooperate.

"What I found very quickly though was that the sector did not want to own this issue," he said.

"I heard doubts being cast about the scale of the problem. I was told that companies were already doing plenty and just needed more credit for it. I saw denials issued about the prevalence of young children on some of our most popular platforms. And crucially I heard over and over again that a collective approach – across the industry, with charity partners, ISPs, researchers, and parents – just wouldn't work," the Prince added.

He said that he is "worried though that our technology companies still have a great deal to learn about the responsibilities that come with their significant power," saying that on the issues of fake news, extremism, polarisation, hate speech, trolling, mental health, privacy, and bullying, "our tech leaders seem to be on the back foot."

He suggested that tech companies' self-image is muddying their perception of the problems at hand. "Their self-image is so grounded in their positive power for good that they seem unable to engage in constructive discussion about the social problems they are creating," he said.

The drive towards profit, he said, also poses a problem. "The noise of shareholders, bottom lines, and profits is distracting them from the values that made them so successful in the first place."

The Prince said that he, like many, had been optimistic ad the advent of social media. But he spelled out the concerns about the real-world harm these platforms have been seen to facilitate. "We have seen that the technology that can allow you to develop an online community around a shared hobby or interest can also be used to organise violence," he said.

"The tools that we use to congratulate each other on milestones and successes can also be used to normalise speech that is filled with bile and hate," he added.

He criticised big tech for being, "resigned to a posture with governments and regulators that will be defined by conflict and discord," and urged them to see, "It does not have to be this way."

Business Insider has contacted Twitter, Snapchat, Apple, and Google for comment. Facebook declined to comment.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:58   #413
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Thank you.
Old 03-12-2018, 21:30   #414
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Ofcom have a reputation of being a toothless tiger so far as TV/Radio regulation is concerned. However, if they are successful in running the UK scheme to deal with internet abuse, it appears that they will be a lot stricter where 'Protected Characteristics' are concerned.

An LBC presenter made a joke about a blind man using a guide horse instead of a guide dog. It wasn't a very good joke, but I didn't find it offensive (there again, i'm not severely sight impaired).

Ofcom are to force Global (the owner of LBC) to employ another person in the studio whenever this presenter is on air to ensure compliance of their standards. If anything similar happens again, more formal and severe sanctions will be imposed, which could ultimately lead to huge fines or having their licence to broadcast revoked.
Old 03-12-2018, 22:01   #415
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The full story here
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 00:32   #416
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofcom
Mr Allen seemed to be implying that people who are blind cannot differentiate between a
rabbit and a dog, and that this remark could have been interpreted as belittling blind people and offering a highly pejorative view of them.
So they are basically saying blind people are so dumb they cannot actually figure out this was just a wisecrack ?

Obviously ofcom are run by idiots.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18   #417
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I think what they're actually saying (though they're taking the long way around) is that only Marxism is going to be allowed in British broadcasting, and only globalism and centralisation of political and economic power is to be considered inoffensive. Everything else will most likely eventually be (something)-ist, and therefore off-limits.

Even this very comment, will eventually be seen as too offensive to be allowed in a forum post, despite no offense being intended and nobody being discriminated against.

Last edited by Onramp; 04-12-2018 at 08:22.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37   #418
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Probably not...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:31   #419
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Death of comedy then as that's pretty much based on mild offending of someone.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46   #420
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Death of comedy then as that's pretty much based on mild offending of someone.
Decent comedy disappeared a long time ago once the PC brigade started to get their way..