Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 18:51   #13861
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
Sorry Florence I diagree - I don't think she put on a good show. On live TV she said, in relation to the two secret trials BT have admitted to, "We absolutely were not spying on our customers..."

Now, considerind that the participants to the trials didn't know about the trials, and that the trials covertly watched their web browsing habits, anyone with a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary could have something to say about Ms Sanderson's assertion here.
I posted that she made a good show of trying to say BT were not breaking the law but her body language gave a different impression..
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 19:02   #13862
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Interesting that everytime there is an important news story or other piece of info certain people do their best to divert our attention.

This is the story that they are trying to bury.
You know what struck me on the way home?

Quote:
"The government has failed to meet a deadline to respond to European Commission questions"
Perhaps the reason BERR can't respond, the Police, the Home Office, the Cabinet Office, and all the other agencies involved aren't responding...

Is the Government is already facing legal action by the European Commission?

If it were true, perhaps it might also explain the 'emergency cabinet' called for September in the midlands?

Just guesswork of course.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:04   #13863
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
You know what struck me on the way home?

Perhaps the reason BERR can't respond, the Police, the Home Office, the Cabinet Office, and all the other agencies involved aren't responding...

Is the Government is already facing legal action by the European Commission?

If it were true, perhaps it might also explain the 'emergency cabinet' called for September in the midlands?

Just a theory of course.
I don'ty think it can be swept uinder the carpet now but the actions of most newspapers are somewhat strange unles they are dubious of being prosicuted for making this news....
Old 12-08-2008, 19:20   #13864
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
Sorry Florence I diagree - I don't think she put on a good show. On live TV she said, in relation to the two secret trials BT have admitted to, "We absolutely were not spying on our customers..."

Now, considerind that the participants to the trials didn't know about the trials, and that the trials covertly watched their web browsing habits, anyone with a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary could have something to say about Ms Sanderson's assertion here.
I think it could be argued that BT were not spying on their customers, they invited in a rather dubious third party company that speciallises in that sort of activity to spy on their customers.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:27   #13865
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

A few things that strike me in the light of the letter.

Wasn't it only a few days ago that BT confirmed that the trials would go ahead soon? With that letter in the background?

Surely BT must have known about the letter at the AGM when it was stated that the trials would begin in a couple of weeks.

It's very unlikely that they didn't know about the letter, but if they didn't, the bunker will be in a tizz tonight.

I wonder who leaked it. I doubt it was HMG. Maybe a miffed EU commission, fed up with being ignored? Just like we have been fobbed off.

Can you imagine the buck passing in Whitehall that must have been going on?

In all of this, involving HMG, BT and Phorm, it's the latter who is the tiddler, the one likely to be lined up by the other two to carry the can somehow. But then Kent has a big gob. Maybe he knows things that would be acutely embarrassing to HMG and BT.

I think that mainstream media coverage is not far off. Bags of it.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:32   #13866
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

What gate they going to call it?
Old 12-08-2008, 19:44   #13867
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

The Downing St website has changed and the new URL to the petition is :-

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ispphorm/

The old URL redirects to the new one.

Apologies if this has been posted before.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:45   #13868
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
No, what I'm saying is that no harm has been done in the tests.
Tests necessary to make sure that what is ACTUALLY rolled out is robust and complies with whatever is thought necessary. I think it will be.
By testing your "bit of new software" without their customers' permission, BT have betrayed their customers' trust, and if the tests were illegal, their shareholders too - and I'd be amazed if the tests weren't illegal, the news about the governments failure to respond to the EU letter before the deadline does nothing to convince me otherwise http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._phorm_letter/

As a BT shareholder, I'm outraged that BT would be willing to do so much damage to their reputation for such a small amount of income.

If BT are that desperate for extra cash, they should cut their wage bill by sacking the looney tunes who want to go ahead with this system.
Old 12-08-2008, 19:49   #13869
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
What gate they going to call it?
btphormedgate
Old 12-08-2008, 19:57   #13870
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Interesting that everytime there is an important news story or other piece of info certain people do their best to divert our attention.

This is the story that they are trying to bury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Yes, only about 4-5 hours of prime forum time wasted on arguments we have all heard and seen before on this forum by the same poster. EU releases something we have been waiting to read and what are we debating? Not that letter, its unimportant
I despair at our gullibility at times.

I prefer page 2
showing the actual EC correspondence
I agree, the EU letter is what is important and not endless circular arguments. Don't get lured into that wheel.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:07   #13871
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

want some shares?

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...PHRM.L&it%3Dle

Old 12-08-2008, 20:22   #13872
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
By testing your "bit of new software" without their customers' permission, BT have betrayed their customers' trust, and if the tests were illegal, their shareholders too - and I'd be amazed if the tests weren't illegal, the news about the governments failure to respond to the EU letter before the deadline does nothing to convince me otherwise http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._phorm_letter/

As a BT shareholder, I'm outraged that BT would be willing to do so much damage to their reputation for such a small amount of income.

If BT are that desperate for extra cash, they should cut their wage bill by sacking the looney tunes who want to go ahead with this system.
but hammy thinks it is none of my business the wages for Managers at BT then once inphormed I was a shareholder he came back I was in the minority...
Anyway back to phorm I feel the implications of having Phorm on the network is too high a risk. We have to rely on trust they will not function creep and personally I don't think with the present responses from all parties invovled and this includes the government it shouldn't be deployed.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:22   #13873
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Yes, only about 4-5 hours of prime forum time wasted on arguments we have all heard and seen before on this forum by the same poster. EU releases something we have been waiting to read and what are we debating? Not that letter, its unimportant
I despair at our gullibility at times.

I prefer page 2
showing the actual EC correspondence
Guilty as charged. I was over at El Reg, catching up on comments there. Seemed a bit excessive to be duplicating everything here as well.

However, if the various government departments have not been able to prepare a defence, considering how many questions have been put to them and how much FoI documentation they must have been re-reading through then it does say something about their efficiency.

During the same period, the ICO has managed to answer an email from me - nothing new since the statement made in April even though there must be changes being made to the DPI software. Time for another FoI request?
So far, the HO have failed to acknowledge or respond to an email I sent 27th June.

I think that Florence is correct in showing an inability by those who should be responsible to cope with the whole process. The load from the EU is now putting everything under breaking strain.
Maybe they are waiting for the trial results to show that they have done a 'good job'.

... and Jumbo was his name.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:41   #13874
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

OK - so any ideas about getting the issue into the mainstream press?

I've emailed Charles Arthur with the Reg article re: the EU letter...
Old 12-08-2008, 21:01   #13875
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
The Downing St website has changed and the new URL to the petition is :-

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ispphorm/

The old URL redirects to the new one.

Apologies if this has been posted before.
Perhaps this explains why they stopped taking new petitions, and used the PM being away as an excuse.
At least the redirect keeps links 'live' for a while. Can someone let us know when the Webwise leaflet is updated for the new address?

Can't say I like the new site. They try to be all accessible and then default to a font size of 0.8em - just as well I have a browser with a good font set (and set to a minimum font size)

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Washington Post update re Congress responses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...70.html?sub=AR

"The revelations came in response to a bipartisan inquiry of how more than 30 Internet companies might have gathered data to target customers....

Markey said he and his colleagues plan to introduce legislation next year, a sort of online-privacy Bill of Rights, that would require that consumers must opt in to the tracking of their online behavior and the collection and sharing of their personal data.

But some committee leaders cautioned that such legislation could damage the economy by preventing small companies from reaching customers.
"

They got that last part right
Closed Thread