Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2008, 12:47   #12811
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
No it was £84M over 4 years not per year.

Just popping my head in folks, I have been keeping up with the thread. I had an email from someone at the BBC the other day asking me for some info on the next set trials, so it could be we will see more BBC coverage in the near future.
If you believe Gavin Patterson CEO BT Retail, its all kicking off this week.

He told me at the AGM, trials were a couple of weeks away, and here we are, a couple of weeks later. AGM was 16 July, that would make 30 July the day BT commits suicide.

He also said he would publish the Market Research for shareholders... but I haven't seen any evidence of that materialising either.

Incidentally I did ask him if he authorised trials of Phorm, but I'm afraid his yes or no answer was drowned by the deafening silence of shareholders around me.
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2008, 13:17   #12812
Hank

So... Any one heard anything from their police service or the City of London Police station in Wood Street where Alexander handed in a case file?

I know it's been 10 days and that's not so long I guess:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...48963-6,00.htm

Still waiting here
Hank

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
If you believe Gavin Patterson CEO BT Retail, its all kicking off this week.

He told me at the AGM, trials were a couple of weeks away, and here we are, a couple of weeks later. AGM was 16 July, that would make 30 July the day BT commits suicide.

He also said he would publish the Market Research for shareholders... but I haven't seen any evidence of that materialising either.

Incidentally I did ask him if he authorised trials of Phorm, but I'm afraid his yes or no answer was drowned by the deafening silence of shareholders around me.
No sign of any invitation pages at my house, but if there was EVERYONE would know about it here. I would go absolutely ballistic. We're a small but vocal minority they say. Vocal would not be the word!!!

Old 28-07-2008, 13:25   #12813
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

back from hols now, to see that the protestations continue, but seem somewhat muted.
BT pressing ahead in search of the massive revenues that Phorm will bring.
The AGM protest apparently attracted a huge turnout.........
The protesters now squabbling amongst themselves.

And the Phorm share price is nicely higher than when I went away.

Smashing ;-)
Old 28-07-2008, 13:44   #12814
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

no Hank been looking myself would say that all is still on target more are becoming aware of this and more are noticing the phishing is a smoke screen so it would be interesting to see what happens next. Still holding onto my shares for now if only to make BT AGMs a pain in the rear end for them since they worth nothing now anyway certainly hit bottom fast when phorm moved in.
Old 28-07-2008, 13:45   #12815
Hank

New search engine "Cuil" (www.cuil.com) is apparently NOT going to store private info on your search history. Cuil is pronounced "cool" and is the creation of some ex-Googlers.

I searched for Phorm and got nothing, but this was better:
http://www.cuil.com/search?q=phorm%20121media&sl=long

BBC story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7528503.stm

Hank

Old 28-07-2008, 13:54   #12816
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Nice info Hank would seem google hasd been working in the background for the day if it ever happens I had an email and all gmail emails will go end to end encription soon that will improve that side a lot. Already removed my websites for now will rebuild and add in the anti phorm tweaks that are listed on dephormation to stop phormed people viewing the pages. When I built my first site you had to request to be added for google bot so I will still be allowing that bot.

Just noticed the share prices for phorm
Today's High 860.00
Today's Low 800.00
so still going down at present wonder what magical mystery can be inveneted to try and bolster the prices again must be running out of excuses..

Will read the BBC story now Hank thanks for the link.
Old 28-07-2008, 14:28   #12817
jtechs
Inactive

jtechs is on a distinguished roadjtechs is on a distinguished road

was on digg and looked at this article on self made webspiders

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...der/index.html

I can only hope the below will come around and bite spamphorm on the ass.. bt included.

Jtech

(taken from the site)

Legal issues

There have been lawsuits for data mining on the Internet using Web spiders, and they've not gone well. Farechase, Inc. was recently sued by American Airlines for screen scraping (done in real-time). The lawsuit first claimed that gathering the data violated American Airlines' users' agreement (found under Terms and Conditions). When that wasn't successful, American Airlines claimed a form of trespass, which was successful. Other lawsuits claim that the bandwidth taken by the spiders and scrapers detracts from legitimate users. All are valid claims and make politeness policies all the more important. See the Resources section for more information.
Old 28-07-2008, 14:36   #12818
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
BT pressing ahead in search of the massive revenues that Phorm will bring.
The AGM protest apparently attracted a huge turnout.........
What did you think of Gavin Pattersons performance at the AGM? I thought he was a bit bumbling. He didn't seem keen to talk about his role in Phorm or Webwise. And Mr. Livingston was jolly quiet. Sir Mick looked a bit nervous too.

I'm sure I heard Gavin P say to shareholders he would release the market research, but perhaps he forgot. And the trials of Phorm, he told shareholders they were due to start this week.

I wondered if you might have been there? Did you have a good view? Near the front? I did. It was a bit like watching the Muppet show.
Old 28-07-2008, 14:38   #12819
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
on a side note anyone seen the new friends reunited ad, does it remind you of another company?
FR? - more tracking scripts than BT and the national/international banks together. First they sent me an email to point out how all the services are now free. Logging in gives more cookies that a WI summer sale. I was worried just canceling my account because the scripts would be tracking so much information about me before I could delete it all.
Old 28-07-2008, 15:11   #12820
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
From your reference, Pete:
Quote:
It is the responsibility of the ISPs to reach a view on whether any new service they provide is within the law.
I cannot believe I have just read that.
Of course it is. It is the responsibility of every individual and every corporate body to ensure they act within the law. Ignorance of said laws is no defence but we individuals, just like companies are not assigned our own personal policemen to make sure we obay the laws, it is what freedom and a democratic society is about.

Has anyone else here read Ben Eltons Blind Faith
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...ll-399527.html
Quote:
...Trafford wanted privacy, or even just a bit of peace. Every day he wanted to shout, 'Here's an idea: why don't we all just shut up for five minutes?' But it was a serious crime to have no faith. It had not always been a crime... Trafford knew this because the change in the law had come about in his own lifetime. The statutory obligation to have faith was the very first of the Wembley Laws...'
Old 28-07-2008, 15:12   #12821
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
FR? - more tracking scripts than BT and the national/international banks together. First they sent me an email to point out how all the services are now free. Logging in gives more cookies that a WI summer sale. I was worried just canceling my account because the scripts would be tracking so much information about me before I could delete it all.

Sorry to be a bit clearer the advert on TV.
Old 28-07-2008, 15:32   #12822
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
What did you think of Gavin Pattersons performance at the AGM? I thought he was a bit bumbling. He didn't seem keen to talk about his role in Phorm or Webwise. And Mr. Livingston was jolly quiet. Sir Mick looked a bit nervous too.

I'm sure I heard Gavin P say to shareholders he would release the market research, but perhaps he forgot. And the trials of Phorm, he told shareholders they were due to start this week.

I wondered if you might have been there? Did you have a good view? Near the front? I did. It was a bit like watching the Muppet show.
I wasn't at the AGM - no shares in BT, no axe to grind, and on holiday anyway !

I prefer to judge a company on the accounts, not on the performances of Directors at an AGM. They're not TV presenters.

AGM for a company that size is just a charade anyway - the large investors get proper one-on-one sessions with the CEO where he answers the real questions.
Old 28-07-2008, 15:44   #12823
Peter N

Quote:
AGM for a company that size is just a charade anyway - the large investors get proper one-on-one sessions with the CEO where he answers the real questions.
Surely you're not suggesting that BT would be less than transparent or that they would conduct such business in secret?

Witholding relevent information from shareholders is a serious matter and secret discussions with selected shareholders could constitue an criminal offence especially as BT is a listed company.

Can you provide some proof or links to support your allegations?

Old 28-07-2008, 15:50   #12824
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
Surely you're not suggesting that BT would be less than transparent or that they would conduct such business in secret?

Witholding relevent information from shareholders is a serious matter and secret discussions with selected shareholders could constitue an criminal offence especially as BT is a listed company.

Can you provide some proof or links to support your allegations?
All companies have private meetings with their major shareholders.
Quite normal, not illegal at all.
If there is anything they ought to tell the world, then of course they tell the shareholders too.
They also speak to analysts, and help them in the right direction with their searnings forecast.

Do you guys have to turn EVERYTHING into a major conspiracy theory ???
Old 28-07-2008, 15:56   #12825
Peter N

Quote:
And the Phorm share price is nicely higher than when I went away.

Smashing ;-)
You last posted on the 8th July and Phorm's shares opened that day at 907 but they opened today at 850 which is quite a bit lower.

Are you sure that you are on the right forum? This is a place for grown-ups to talk about a spyware company called Phorm.

I think that you should tell your mummy that you are on the wrong Webwise site - she'll find you the right one at the BBC.

Closed Thread