Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 20-11-2013, 19:13   #1246
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Xbox One Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
The all-in-one entertainment system
Except...
  • No 3D Blu-ray support
  • No Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical, just stereo or DTS 5.1
  • No proper streaming audio/video support, just Microsoft PlayTo
  • No support for playing media off a USB device

I see no excuse for any of those omissions, given that MS has been touting this as the ONE BOX YOU NEED, and a true "all-in-one" system.

What's even more pathetic is that the 360 happily supports DD5.1 over optical, and audio/video streaming from any DLNA / UPnP Media server, and audio/video playback from a USB device... why not the Xbox One?

Not everyone has an HDMI AV receiver, plus anyone who has 5.1 headphones is likely to need a Dolby Digital output over optical to be able to use them (I do for my Sharkoons, and I think Turtle Beach ones do too).

So, I shall continue to use my PS3 for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs that have DD5.1 instead of DTS soundtracks, and continue to use my PS3 to stream mp4 videos from my iMac or play mp4 videos from a USB stick.

Also, due to the lack of an iPlayer app or a Sky Go app at launch, I shall continue to use my PS3 for iPlayer and continue to use my 360 for Sky Go.

ALL IN ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Do you know if i will be able to stream movies off my WD network drive to the X1 just like i can do with the 360? If i can't then that is seriously messed up!
Unfortunately, Microsoft's "all-in-one entertainment system" and One box you need is lacking in that area of entertainment, and others.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2013, 19:16   #1247
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Well i am -mod edit- annoyed now, if i can't stream movies from my WD World media drive........

Please refrain from bad language.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:16   #1248
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Thats nothing one retailer I found was stocking One disc based game at £62.99!!
Old 20-11-2013, 19:17   #1249
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Oh... who ordered their Xbox One from Amazon?

Had anything about it yet?

I chose "expedited delivery" for my order, as initially using the free delivery option it said Monday 25th. My order says it's estimated to be delivered on Friday 22nd, but I have had no dispatch email yet and the money has not been taken or entered limbo.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:19   #1250
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Except...
  • No 3D Blu-ray support
  • No Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical, just stereo or DTS 5.1
  • No proper streaming audio/video support, just Microsoft PlayTo
  • No support for playing media off a USB device

I see no excuse for any of those omissions, given that MS has been touting this as the ONE BOX YOU NEED, and a true "all-in-one" system.

What's even more pathetic is that the 360 happily supports DD5.1 over optical, and audio/video streaming from any DLNA / UPnP Media server, and audio/video playback from a USB device... why not the Xbox One?

Not everyone has an HDMI AV receiver, plus anyone who has 5.1 headphones is likely to need a Dolby Digital output over optical to be able to use them (I do for my Sharkoons, and I think Turtle Beach ones do too).

So, I shall continue to use my PS3 for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs that have DD5.1 instead of DTS soundtracks, and continue to use my PS3 to stream mp4 videos from my iMac or play mp4 videos from a USB stick.

Also, due to the lack of an iPlayer app or a Sky Go app at launch, I shall continue to use my PS3 for iPlayer and continue to use my 360 for Sky Go.

ALL IN ONE!

Unfortunately, Microsoft's "all-in-one entertainment system" and One box you need is lacking in that area of entertainment, and others.
All that I imagine will be coming in a system update. Especially the 3D Blu Ray support. Seems odd that neither Next Gen console can do 3D Blu Ray or stream media.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:21   #1251
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Well i am -mod edit- annoyed now, if i can't stream movies from my WD World media drive........

Please refrain from bad language.
I did some Googling at lunchtime, and there may be a way but it sounds like a fudge.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1252...ent-using-dlna

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
All that I imagine will be coming in a system update. Especially the 3D Blu Ray support. Seems odd that neither Next Gen console can do 3D Blu Ray or stream media.
I would assume (or hope, at least) that those features do get added... But they should have been there at launch.

As it is, the Xbox One is *less capable* than the 360 for various things.

I had thought my PS3 would only get the odd bit of use now if/when I get round to having another playthrough of the Naughty Dog games before selling it, but now it seems it will still be a media device for me too.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:25   #1252
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I did some Googling at lunchtime, and there may be a way but it sounds like a fudge.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1252...ent-using-dlna

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

I would assume (or hope, at least) that those features do get added... But they should have been there at launch.

As it is, the Xbox One is *less capable* than the 360 for various things.

I had thought my PS3 would only get the odd bit of use now if/when I get round to having another playthrough of the Naughty Dog games before selling it, but now it seems it will still be a media device for me too.
Sorry Matt, but it wasn't really bad language but it still got starred out, it began with a P! lol
Old 20-11-2013, 19:29   #1253
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Wasn't me
Old 20-11-2013, 19:37   #1254
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I am so disappointed in the X1 now if i can't do movies just like the 360, i hope they patch it.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:38   #1255
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

It's is pretty bloody lame
Old 20-11-2013, 19:38   #1256
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age

Xbox One App: Android http://t.co/xnycHHKAvr iOS http://t.co/hRfICfXtwv Windows http://t.co/SttP3VE0Zg WinPhone http://t.co/mMfgaJrAqd

Tweeted by major Nelson , xbox one smartglass app
Old 20-11-2013, 19:39   #1257
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Oh, just had a chat with Amazon:

My console will be dispatched on the 21st and be with me on the 22nd.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:40   #1258
Bulky
Inactive

I'm getting a bit twitchy , mines still not been dispatched , microsoft store order
Old 20-11-2013, 19:51   #1259
Ianmez78
Inactive

Services: VM VIP Pack 2nd TIVO & MUTV
Ianmez78 is on a distinguished roadIanmez78 is on a distinguished road

Hi anyone know if Game are shipping X1's yet I had a few payment/CS issue's so only got a order confirmation today thanks for any help.

Just checked my account order status changed to Shipped
Ianmez78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 19:56   #1260
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Oh, something else annoying that I forgot to moan about in my previous post:

The HDMI passthrough is active only, not passive. To use anything connected via the passthrough, the Xbox One *must* be fully powered on.

That means if you route your Virgin box or Sky box via the Xbox One, the Xbox One must always be fully on simply to watch TV.

Personally, I love the idea of using the passthrough, and even though we won't have the One Guide at launch I can still see a use for routing my Sky+HD box via the Xbox One.

But... I'm not so sure that Mrs D would be keen on the extra power consumption, or on the increased hassle of using two systems simply to watch TV. Not being a gamer, she won't be "snapping" the TV into the side while playing something and she won't be getting messages or invites while watching Strictly on a Saturday... but she'd still need to use the console as well as the Sky box.

I may just plug my Apple TV into it instead, as that wouldn't be on anywhere near as much as the Sky box.