Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 07-11-2012, 23:08   #1231
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Like I said, though, it's more about the time it saves doing it whilst watching something instead of before or after.

When I'm watching something, I prefer to look at what I'm watching, not at another bit of kit

Like I said, "making seemingly rational arguments for such toys" We all do it!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 23:21   #1232
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
You could do all this pretty much on tivo commander,Carl very disappointed mate.
But I don't have Tivo Commander.

Quote:
Channels missing is a joke..
Well it's unfortunate, yes. Nothing more, IMO.

Quote:
and having to keep signing in is pathetic
I agree. They should make it stick.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
When I'm watching something, I prefer to look at what I'm watching, not at another bit of kit

Like I said, "making seemingly rational arguments for such toys" We all do it!
I can multi-task and I can hear
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 00:53   #1233
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Click on the little Cog icon at the top and first option in the list will do what you want. When you disconnect, you get the option to either re-connect or go into 'away' mode.
Thanks Carl

That's some pretty poor basic functionality and UI design though. If you leave your home network the app basically breaks (in a bad way) until you click on the "Account Sign Out" button and then it gives you the option to "Sign into away access".

Why it can't just detect that the box is no longer responding and prompt the user to use away mode is beyond me. Heck, check if the IP of the device is no longer within the subnet of the registered Tivo Box and change to Away mode automatically (with the ability to manually enter the box's IP and subnet for the hardcore network heads). To have it just break like it does, in a common use scenario, is crazy. Did they really test this for a year and not think that was a problem?
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05   #1234
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Why it can't just detect that the box is no longer responding and prompt the user to use away mode is beyond me.
I thought that is what it's supposed to do http://help.virginmedia.com/system/v...5-247ECCC3F874

Quote:
If your iPhone or iPod Touch loses its connection to your TiVo box when you move between menus or refresh a screen, you’ll see a message saying “Lost Connection”.

Press OK to re-scan your wireless network for TiVo boxes
As it won't find a box on 3G it should then give you the 'Away Mode' option
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25   #1235
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Why it can't just detect that the box is no longer responding and prompt the user to use away mode is beyond me.
Erm... it does. It checks for a Tivo. If it doesn't find one it goes into away mode.

But you asked ...

Quote:
... how do you force it into away/home mode?
And I told you.

Although I am referring to the iPad version, I assume the iPhone version does that too.
Old 08-11-2012, 13:16   #1236
Majordude
Inactive

Majordude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But is much easier with the app; and I'd rather have the iPad in my lap than a 15" laptop
Carl,

I used to find when editing the priorities of my series links the US TiVo app use to crash after moving three or four shows in the list. Does the VM app do the same or does it work better?
Majordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 15:10   #1237
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

No idea. Not tried that yet. Sorry. Will try later and report back.
Old 08-11-2012, 15:50   #1238
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I thought that is what it's supposed to do http://help.virginmedia.com/system/v...5-247ECCC3F874

As it won't find a box on 3G it should then give you the 'Away Mode' option
Nope. I've had it do that once now, seems like it only prompts for that if you are on the Info tab when it realises its on a different connection. All other times I've had it just say it was reconnecting then sit there in the guide screen showing endlessly spinning circles.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:49   #1239
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Just downloaded the iPad app at my parents , I'm very impressed love how you can search a title and play On Demand instantly , the away mode is also an excellent addition. When selecting to view streaming channels only then watch now , I like how you have the option to select watch on TV or watch on iPad. When I tried searching the On Demand I noticed very little of the Sky On Demand content is in HD is there a reason for that ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00   #1240
Majordude
Inactive

Majordude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No idea. Not tried that yet. Sorry. Will try later and report back.
Loaded the app last night and it works just like the US app except for the limited TV channel streaming option. This is probably the reason for the delay as so few channels agreed for their content to be streamed.

Carl,

Reordering series links continues to crash after 4 or so changes.

But all in all I think this is a great app for remotely programming your TiVo and entering text based searches using your iPad to provide a keyboard.

Brilliant VM even though it was a long time coming.
Majordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:53   #1241
attman
Inactive

attman is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really curious but what channels are peopl missing? I think the whole thing is great. It's a shame that it's limited to 2 devices but hey, get over it.

All in all its great, although a long time coming but even then you know what? It didnt kill me not to have it, didnt ruin my enjoyment of watching TV. I'm staggered but the whingers and the moaners on here. Quite incredible....
attman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:40   #1242
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

I didn't expect any more than 2 devices, Sky have the same restriction

Sky Sports would be nice to have on an ipad or iPhone, and its a shame that I have to go to TVCatchup to view most of the freeview channels

Glad we can control Tivo from the ipad or iphone at last, I've missed it since VM did their last update and killed the US version from working
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:35   #1243
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I've just had a look at the video on how to set up a home network, from what i watched i would need the superhub, but i don't have that and i dont really want it due to the numerous problems some people seem to have with it, also the plugs with ethernet cables, the chap in the video said that you should connect these directly into the wall socket! well thats me knackered for a start as i don't have any spare wall sockets, as like most people i have a couple of sockets beside each other but these are used with extension cables for the numerous connections we have, dvd, tivo, Wii, etc etc on top of that these ethernet plugs are very expensive at nearly £100 each, so i think it's a no no from me.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:36   #1244
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

I've renamed my two TiVo boxes online but on the iPad app they still display as the random code assigned. Anyone else know how to rename them on the iPad?
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 19:47   #1245
robtuk06
Inactive

robtuk06 is an unknown quantity at this point

It might just be coincidence, but since I have started using this app the programmes on my TiVo box are no longer in folders - but they display as in folders on the app.

Anyone else?
robtuk06 is offline   Reply With Quote