Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 18:40   #11296
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Astonishing TV interview with Tim Smart CEO of BT Global Services UK.

Tim Smart discusses benefits and downsides of surveillance. Mentions monitoring verbal conversations and delivering contextual advertising based on the content of the conversation.

States that the challenge is making sure both parties to conversation find it acceptable.

Watch here (click on chapter 5 and 19 to skip to Tim Smarts piece)
My favourite quote is this one here in the second clip (Chap 19)

"Big businesses are unlikely to do anything that damages their brand in any sustainable way, so that gives us all cause for optimism."

Oh no of course not. How could they ever be so STUPID?
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2008, 19:29   #11297
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
make sure the email has lots of adverts in it well the 2nd one you send off after your scanned it looking for key words to match the advert

How will this help the antiphorm cause?Spamming someone because they are in disagreement with what you support is disgusting..and totally against what this campaign is all about...
Old 07-07-2008, 19:39   #11298
Paul Delaney

BT have always been the Internet user's enemy.

I remember having a heated discussion with a supervisor from their telco customer services in 1998 following a huge phone bill due to their insistance, at the time, that all Internet connections should be metered. I said then that they were standing in the way of technology to which he responded:

We own the wiring - all of it

Perhaps they consider Phorm as a method of getting that metered revenue back?

Old 07-07-2008, 19:41   #11299
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
How will this help the antiphorm cause?Spamming someone because they are in disagreement with what you support is disgusting..and totally against what this campaign is all about...
it`s IRONY
you missed the smilly and the joke.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:42   #11300
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
it`s IRONY
I was thinking an irony smiley would be useful here

Old 07-07-2008, 19:46   #11301
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
yeah well some ppl don`t understand that but we do learn as we go along on our way through life I think..
Old 07-07-2008, 19:48   #11302
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
you could always profile it and tag the 10 most common words and categorise them at the bottom of the email

that would be amusing

now what category would you put the words BT, Privacy, phorm and webwise into, (apart from obviously not in the same sentence)

answers on a post WITHOUT triggering the forum swear filter

peter
Old 07-07-2008, 19:53   #11303
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
We own the wiring - all of it

Perhaps they consider Phorm as a method of getting that metered revenue back?
This is the same attitude displayed by US telco's in the net neutrality debate, they don't like that a free market will always work to reduce monopoly to commodity. The carriers see money in providing content and in what Google does so it's definitely a background issue.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:53   #11304
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
it`s IRONY
How does a smiley mitigate what you suggested?I saw no joke either...and IF I missed the joke so can others...
Old 07-07-2008, 20:39   #11305
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
web wise's cookie handling is supposed to strip out the UID before passing the cookie to the website

so a server side swap of uid etc would not help

peter
perhaps something like this can help that ? anyone!...
http://www.rebol.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rebol/search.r?find=https+tunnel&form=yes
an HTTP/HTTPS handler that transparently supports cookies

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
They WILL leak if a site uses https: for any of its content, they are also expected to leak if a site uses a port other than 80, because Phorm have stated that they only process traffic on port 80.

They MAY also be accessible using client side javascript.
http://www.rebol.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap...script=proxy.r

REBOL [
Title: "REBOL HTTP Proxy"
Date: 13-Jul-2001
Name: "Proxy Server"
Version: 1.0.0
File: %proxy.r
Author: "Sterling Newton"
Purpose: {This script serves many purposes.
1. Act as an HTTP proxy
2. See what your browser sends out as an HTTP request
3. Add data filters to remove Javascript pop-up windows,
remove banner ads, and more...
Uncomment line towards the bottom of the script marked for JavaScript
to enable JavaScript popup window death!!}
History: {
"
http://musiclessonz.com/rebol_tutorial.html#section-25
Old 07-07-2008, 22:09   #11306
HaveToBeAnon
Inactive

HaveToBeAnon will become famous soon enoughHaveToBeAnon will become famous soon enoughHaveToBeAnon will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi Guys,

Bit of background, I'm a BT employee and shareholder.

Just like to point out that within BT practically everyone who gets to know about webwise hates it too. It came as much of a suprise to us as it did you.Clearly the business cases doesnt stand up, so this is what I think happened. I have no direct evidence for this, just a gut feel and it seems to fit the facts, so make of it what you will.

This is what i think happened....

Phorm approached Statis Scleparis (excuse spelling), saying we can offer you this fantastic product, and also give you a highly paid job with us if you sign up to it. Stratis signs up, making sure as few people know as possible, and at first glance the product though it looks somewhat dodgy, isn't actually illegal (according to phorm) so why not sign up and take the cash? Of course the business case can't work if people know about it, so hush hush for a couple of years - which is why practically no one in BT knew about it. Not many people still know even know in a hands-on sense, as its my understanding that phorm are doing all the work, rather than BT people.

However the wheels are coming off the wagon. the more people know, the worse its getting, the campaign far from dieing away, instead is gathering pace as people come on board. Keep going guys, as every bit of publicity helps. You are steadily sending phorm to its death by a thousand cuts.

Remember the shareholders and BT employees that do know about it are on your side. (Apart from a handful of exceptions, and i suspect that privately they hate it too but have no choice). Most employees dont know any more than the general population, so when they plead ignorance, its true!

Finally, a suggestion for you all. In the publicity, emphasise WEBWISE, rather
than phorm. If the product is launched, then people will want to know "Should i sign up to webwise" - make sure thats near the top of any google searches. Phorm won't be on their radar, as its almost certainly not going to be mentioned on the sign-up screen.

Good luck with protest. I shall be there is spirit.

Anon.
Old 07-07-2008, 22:18   #11307
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

HaveToBeAnon

look forward to lots of informative posts from you and your friends when you tell them to come here and join in

remember,if you cant make it to the protest, you can still make your 30 second video or Audio protest with pictures (to stay anon OC) and link it into Alexanders NoDPI YouTube page...
Old 07-07-2008, 22:20   #11308
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveToBeAnon View Post
Hi Guys,

Bit of background, I'm a BT employee and shareholder.

snip of good stuff

Finally, a suggestion for you all. In the publicity, emphasise WEBWISE, rather
than phorm. If the product is launched, then people will want to know "Should i sign up to webwise" - make sure thats near the top of any google searches. Phorm won't be on their radar, as its almost certainly not going to be mentioned on the sign-up screen.

Good luck with protest. I shall be there is spirit.

Anon.
Welcome aboard. Great to hear what you have to say. Any tips for us about inreasing awareness?

Now that BT have an 0808 free broadband support number maybe all of us should ring at least twice a day to make more employees aware although I suppose they won't work for BT. (I got a UK one today but forgot to ask him about phorm/Webwise - sorry!)
Old 07-07-2008, 22:21   #11309
Hank

Something that someone here might find useful?

http://www.pledgebank.com/

I haven't worked out what we might do with it yet. Ideas?

Hank

Old 07-07-2008, 22:31   #11310
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveToBeAnon View Post
cut. ..
This is what i think happened....
...cut
I am certain most of what you say is possibly not far from the truth. As an ex BT employee with a technical background I certainly empathise with your feelings. Working for BT can be a very blinkering experience for most and it would not surprise me if only a handful of employees knew anything about Phorm/WebWise for quite a long time. Anyhow keep your head down and spread the word that we always will welcome information good to the cause.
Closed Thread