Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 03-02-2009, 11:07   #1081
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: [Merged] Snow!

A photo of the snow yesterday.... It's a shame it's melting now.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12   #1082
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Is it just me, or does the speed limit sign in the first picture look photoshopped in?

Nope, must be the flash. Only adjustment is the brightness/colour.
Tinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33   #1083
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Talking of flashes, we just had thunder and lightening with our snow

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43   #1084
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, it took two hours (thanks to South Eastern's farcical attempt at running a Railway), but I got in to work.

Why is it that the public transport systems in London failed totally to cope with this? Boris Johnson and the various Transport authorities have blamed the snow, but I am fairly certain that the old, nationalised, transport companies (like British Rail) actually managed to cope with things like this..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49   #1085
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Well, it took two hours (thanks to South Eastern's farcical attempt at running a Railway), but I got in to work.

Why is it that the public transport systems in London failed totally to cope with this? Boris Johnson and the various Transport authorities have blamed the snow, but I am fairly certain that the old, nationalised, transport companies (like British Rail) actually managed to cope with things like this..
Do you mean British 'wrong kind of snow' Rail?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50   #1086
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Answer 1)
Pay a lot more in taxes and ticket prices for the equipment to deal with these rare occurrences.

Answer 2)
Accept that these things happen from time to time and adapt to cope with them.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03   #1087
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Do you mean British 'wrong kind of snow' Rail?
I can't recall any situation where they shut down every route from Kent to London...

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Answer 1)
Pay a lot more in taxes and ticket prices for the equipment to deal with these rare occurrences

Answer 2)
Accept that these things happen from time to time and adapt to cope with them.

We've had Snow a few times in Winter over the last two or three years. Not frequent, but not rare either. Besides, hasn't yesterday's shutdown been estimated to have cost the Economy about £3 billion? That's more than enough to pay for a few snow ploughs..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32   #1088
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Do many of us have M&S tyres on our car and chains in the boot? I'd wager very few. It's simply not worth it, is it.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:34   #1089
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Do many of us have M&S tyres on our car and chains in the boot? I'd wager very few. It's simply not worth it, is it.
I didn't know Marks and Spencers did tyres
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36   #1090
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Well that was a fun time, got caught in a blizzard on the foreshore, now the tops of my fingers are tingling. Kept taking the gloves off to take photo's.
When I got home I found five inches of snow in the side pockets of my backpack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...7613276997579/
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37   #1091
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

Well brilliant sunshine and most of the snow has melted.

However looking at the Hampshire animated weather maps, more snow is forecast this pm..
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44   #1092
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Well - I just tried going out in it. The sunlight has made it all far to bright for me so I needed my cane (which i dropped in my new not yet set kitchen floor whilst retrieving) I got to the end of the road before I fell on my bum.

Nuts to it, I think I'm staying in 'till it's all gone.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 13:01   #1093
altis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Well - I just tried going out in it. The sunlight has made it all far to bright for me so I needed my cane (which i dropped in my new not yet set kitchen floor whilst retrieving) I got to the end of the road before I fell on my bum.

Nuts to it, I think I'm staying in 'till it's all gone.
You need these!

http://www.algeos.com/html/products/retail/yaktrax.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 16:00   #1094
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I slipped on my back pretty badly this morning. Was alking slowly too, went up in the air and flat on my back. My glasses flew off. I was in a daze. To make matters worse a woman behind me slipped on the same spot and fell on my glasses, luckily they are only bent and not snapped.

My head still hurts, as does the back of my shoulders.

to make matters worse my daughter just phoned me crying because birds had eaten the eyes out of my snowman. that will teach me to use cherries to give my snowman a manic look lol.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Well that was a fun time, got caught in a blizzard on the foreshore, now the tops of my fingers are tingling. Kept taking the gloves off to take photo's.
When I got home I found five inches of snow in the side pockets of my backpack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...7613276997579/

Wow thats some impressively tall snowman!
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:06   #1095
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Wow thats some impressively tall snowman!
Those two had been up since 2am building it, I know the snowman's name is Clive but I forgot to ask them their names. I blame the cold slowing down what passes for my mind.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote