Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 18:46   #10711
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

another missed post
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 18:49   #10712
Peter N

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post
Most likely, anyone save that link can PM so i can pass it on too the vendors, meant to save it.

Thanks.
If you haven't closed your browser since you visited the link or you don't delete your history on exit it should still be in your history list.

Old 01-07-2008, 18:53   #10713
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
That was actually very helpful Dave, I just got off the phone with their Secretary and hopefully I will be able to meet some representatives next week when I am in London to address any concerns they may have.

Also the Secretary was fully aware of who Phorm are so it is nice to know that public awareness is on the rise.

So thanks for that info.

Alexander Hanff
i also posted to the linked Barbican Talk messageboard there, and put a poll up as they didnt cover Phorm/Webwise there yet, and no one seems to use the poll option there so it might get the locals informed and interested at least.

linked in the 9999 and your 10,000 Protest posts and pointed them back here asking to comment, and help in any way if they can.
http://www.thenuclearfamily.co.uk/ph...wforum.php?f=2

just as i did with the baroness here(didnt hear anything back from her or her team so far though in PM or [E]mail)
Old 01-07-2008, 19:06   #10714
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

So once again some of us have been wasting an afternoon debating in never ending circles something that is probably a red herring as far as WebWise is concerned. The 'anti phishing' feature in WebWise is something that is unnecessary in regards to the superior protection already present in modern browsers and is probably one of the few legal bits of WebWise. I suspect this RED HERRING is there to deflect the attention from what is really going on, no more, no less.

Admin edit (Chris T): Please see warning below

My honest belief is that by reacting you are not helping our cause in any 'Phorm' or manner. It is old ground being regurgitated.
Old 01-07-2008, 19:18   #10715
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

ALL PARTICIPANTS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND.

We will not tolerate harassment, victimization or bullying of members of this forum. Requesting people to place another member on their 'ignore' list - or implying that they should - falls within our definition of these offences.

Any further posts of this nature and the infraction points are going to start flying. There will be no further warnings.
Old 01-07-2008, 19:21   #10716
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

No WS, its not wasted, we all know it wont change his stance (and thats his right), but it serves a good purpose anyway, for instance, all those local Barbican residents that havent heard about webwise, Phorm or the wiretapping for that matter,can now see an overview of the Phorm talked up advantage points raised, and shot down logicly.

never forget, every day there are more and more readers browsing the thread, as we also post in other places too, and link directly back to this thread.

why do you think the barroness posted, and the other high profile people sitting there as guests reading, because i and other people like me, have a policy to inform them, and always ask them to read this thread...

its almost time for all you guests to sign up and speak, before next week preferably, and tell us what you have done to help or can help with etc.... No matter were in the country you might be, you have a PC, the tools, and a talent to use these in great and good ways, please do so, starting today.
Old 01-07-2008, 19:37   #10717
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post

perhaps a few of you should also try it - if you get to the site then you ought to sign up for Webwise as soon as it is available.
Perhaps Webwise might have been better received had they and Bt not been so transparent(BT and Phorm meaning for this is stealth as per leaked documents)
1st you allow the phorm phormula to be inspected instead of refusals by profesionals without the phorm watchdog.
2nd Public meeting to show phorm is tranaparent (stealth again) since you paid for this to be recorded on a promise it would go online within mins unedited it is so transparent it hasn't been seen since.
3rd Phorm is a rootkit on the network leaves no privacy in the hands of such a transparent company (stealth again you just don't know what he is upto next)
4th It invaides the sanctaty of the home allows anyone using the computer to adjsut the T&C without verification with the account holder.
5th It will profile minors who cannot legally make an informed consent. (with no way of being 100% sure they will never end up profiled with or without consent)
5th It hijacks the browser which many distrust from the old rootkit days.
6th Creates a forged 3rd party cookie creating a less safe surfing.
7th It breaks copyright by imitating to be the website youi wish to visit.
8th it would be like taking a shower in the street you just wouldnt do it so you just wouldn't sign in for phorm...
Old 01-07-2008, 20:17   #10718
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

i just find his nick so apt,

hamsterwheel, a device for small furry rodents to run round in circles and get nowhere

he he

anyway we are all entitled to our opinions as he is his, time to agree to differ

anyway back to businesswell done alex on the fund raising and sorting any legal issues with the demo

peter

peter
Old 01-07-2008, 20:19   #10719
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
So once again some of us have been wasting an afternoon debating in never ending circles something that is probably a red herring as far as WebWise is concerned. The 'anti phishing' feature in WebWise is something that is unnecessary in regards to the superior protection already present in modern browsers and is probably one of the few legal bits of WebWise. I suspect this RED HERRING is there to deflect the attention from what is really going on, no more, no less.

Admin edit (Chris T): Please see warning below

My honest belief is that by reacting you are not helping our cause in any 'Phorm' or manner. It is old ground being regurgitated.
I agree.

Perhaps, despite some evidence to the contrary, we are too stupid to avoid, or avert, the implementation of Phorm.
Old 01-07-2008, 20:20   #10720
popper
Inactive

are they grasping at straws now or getting ready to do a bunk like all the other bubbles before it.

a digital ad targeting promotion firm, talking to 3rd party agency people, about how they promote the ad agency firms products.....

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/82...igital-agency/
"Phorm seeks a digital agency
by Andrew McCormick Media Week 01-Jul-08
"..
The ad-targeting firm is now seeking an agency, initially working on a project basis, to promote its consumer-facing initiative Webwise -
Hugo Drayton, UK chief executive of Phorm, said....
"We've talked to a few hand- selected people," said Drayton. "We're not in a pitch situation, but we are sounding out a few agencies. We're thinking about how OIX and Webwise will develop after going live and about what marketing and promotion we can do."
Old 01-07-2008, 20:26   #10721
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I've started a fun thread on thesun.co.uk forums:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/...46~-80459.page

(Also note they don't allow full urls in posts)
Old 01-07-2008, 20:37   #10722
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/...46~-80459.page

(Also note they don't allow full urls in posts)
Someone needs to explain the technology to Ellie Jane as she clearly doesn't understand the issue if she thinks her anti-virus is going to stop Phorm profiling her.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 20:42   #10723
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Someone needs to explain the technology to Ellie Jane as she clearly doesn't understand the issue if she thinks her anti-virus is going to stop Phorm profiling her.

Alexander Hanff
I think she probably does, but doesn't actually care. A view, I have to say, shared by a fair number of people, including some of my family.

There seems to be an air of dumb acceptance about this, and other privacy reducing schemes amongst the public. That is pretty frightening in itself.

Luckily there will always be people, such as yourself, and the other active members here, to take up the issue for them (whether they appreciate it or not).
Old 01-07-2008, 20:49   #10724
Peter N

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
...and it immediately attracted the same tired old Phorm spin merchants - "Only people with something to hide etc etc".

The upside is that a couple of people on there changed their position after the facts were explained so I'd call that a success and a very good and productive idea.

Old 01-07-2008, 20:51   #10725
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
are they grasping at straws now or getting ready to do a bunk like all the other bubbles before it.

a digital ad targeting promotion firm, talking to 3rd party agency people, about how they promote the ad agency firms products.....

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/82...igital-agency/
"Phorm seeks a digital agency
by Andrew McCormick Media Week 01-Jul-08
"..
The ad-targeting firm is now seeking an agency, initially working on a project basis, to promote its consumer-facing initiative Webwise -
Hugo Drayton, UK chief executive of Phorm, said....
"We've talked to a few hand- selected people," said Drayton. "We're not in a pitch situation, but we are sounding out a few agencies. We're thinking about how OIX and Webwise will develop after going live and about what marketing and promotion we can do."

Is anyone thinking along the same lines as me the more outsiders from BT staff with access to customers profiles, part, partial or all logs isn't this going to far.. More potential leaks of customer data a larger intrusion on the privacy.
Closed Thread