Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2008, 13:37   #10531
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Yes but we don't have access totheir findings plus we all know the way questions are asked can bring different answers had they said they were monitoring your every click, website looking at all the information to gather keywords then target you with adverts from this, might give a different response to the question about protecting you from phishing websites and relevent adverts. Notice the economic use of the truth to get the reply you want to be an excuse to implement the spy in the network.
what would be good would be to ask them about their trust in BT at the start, do your bit, then tell tem about web wise and repeat question 1 and see if they have changed their answer

bet most would

peter

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

just hit 15,001

peter
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2008, 13:38   #10532
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
@ Alex

where is this news you talked about that was under NDA ?????
It was a very promising discussion I was having with a company regarding some sponsorship for the protest event but everything seemed to go quiet towards the end of last week. If I don't hear back before the end of this week I will assume it is a no go, which will be a shame because it would have helped considerably.

Alexander Hanff
Old 30-06-2008, 13:39   #10533
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Still not finalised so not able to discuss it. If I don't hear back before the end of the week I will assume it is a no go, which will be a shame because it would have helped considerably.

Alexander Hanff
Go on Alex, give us a clue ?

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

More evidence of the size of the internet advertising market, and it's ever-increasing nature.
Phorm is just a way of ensuring that Telegraph readers get to see relevant advertising, and not the sort of stuff that would be seen on sale in The Mirror.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...bcntrin130.xml
Old 30-06-2008, 14:01   #10534
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel
More evidence of the size of the internet advertising market, and it's ever-increasing nature.
Phorm is just a way of ensuring that Telegraph readers get to see relevant advertising, and not the sort of stuff that would be seen on sale in The Mirror.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...bcntrin130.xml
More likely decreasing is the ad market, i do not buy a newspaper to read the ads, i do not look at the ads, newspaper and phorm spyware are two different things, hamsterwheel how does phorm enhance my privacy, please do tell.
Old 30-06-2008, 14:10   #10535
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post
More likely decreasing is the ad market, i do not buy a newspaper to read the ads, i do not look at the ads, newspaper and phorm spyware are too different things, hamsterwheel how does phorm enhance my privacy, please do tell.
perhaps hamster would also like to enlighten us on the contents of the diagnostic logs on the profiler and ad servers which are kept for upto 14 days and shipped?

you thought we had forgotten about them didnt you hammy???

then explain about privacy invasion

peter
Old 30-06-2008, 14:13   #10536
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1
perhaps hamster would also like to enlighten us on the contents of the diagnostic logs on the profiler and ad servers which are kept for upto 14 days and shipped?
Yes indeed, what happens to our profile after 14 days(or 21,28 or whatever it maybe in the future)hamster, where does it go, how is our data disposed of, please enlighten us.

Lets watch hamsterwheel rush around the internet looking for the answers
Old 30-06-2008, 14:45   #10537
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes indeed, what happens to our profile after 14 days(or 21,28 or whatever it maybe in the future)hamster, where does it go, how is our data disposed of, please enlighten us.
This was apparently asked of **** at the Town Hall Q&A from a couple of months ago...and from what I can gather was answered via his usual and unique interpretation of 'openness and transparency' .But we'll never know now, due to phorms open and transpart policy of not releasing the video.

What is contained in the debug and research logs, where it is processed and what happens to them after 14 days has, as far as I am aware, never been answered to any ones satisfaction.

That reminds me, anyone heard how Capt' Jamie is? Thoughts are still with him and his family.
Old 30-06-2008, 14:47   #10538
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:

Lets watch hamsterwheel rush around the internet looking for the answers
i might have found some info on the missing market research see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/07...lies_and_bofh/

peter
Old 30-06-2008, 15:09   #10539
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
[/url]
... by illegally intercepting private communication traffic between web site owners and web users (including users who have not opted in, and users who have specifically instructed their ISP not to process data for marketing), corrupting the integrity of that traffic with fraudulent cookies and imposter redirections, creating a valuable personal profile of the users involved, and most importantly thieving copyright web content without a licence obtained in advance.

I guess that would include the consent and content of the Mirror and the Telegraph too?

All this from a firm who it is alleged were responsible for spyware and rootkits, with a team of developers in Moscow, who conspired with BT to run a secret and also illegal trial of the system in 2006 and 2007 potentially profiling hundreds of thousands of victims without consent, and stealing web content in the process.

Its an interesting proposition, and superficially appealing as an idea, but there is a serious flaw in the plan. Because it is illegal it will more likely never happen (again) in the UK (or Europe for that matter).

And if it hadn't been for us meddling kids Phorm might have gotten away with it too.

If you have money to invest, SSL certificate authority shares are probably a wise choice. Because even if deep packet inspection is switched on, then I predict that web traffic will simply become sdfkjhlwrq fb987qw4p9 8ypg98yqwypq9243yrpqw e89ypsf9k jhawera w.k awecr.aa..kjh.akjs 9sf09 "£$"£AGAGW£QF"Q qweulaASDF hfli987aerih a£"$"£ asdfasd fa"£GSDHytrebrsse
<eot>
Old 30-06-2008, 15:09   #10540
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
More likely decreasing is the ad market, i do not buy a newspaper to read the ads, i do not look at the ads, newspaper and phorm spyware are two different things, ******** how does phorm enhance my privacy, please do tell.
I regard most ads as spam. Something I don't want, something I don't need and something I would not buy via the advert link. If I need anything online I will use one of the search engines that I have some trust in. (Certainly not any Phorm/Webwise OIX network).

I do not like adverts on pages that I am viewing for general browsing. There is a distinct difference between pages I view for general browsing and those I use for buying. I never click on paid advert links because I don't trust them in the same manner as the organic adverts. Phorm or their clients would never get any of my business, that's for certain.

And ******** you know who you are.
Old 30-06-2008, 15:46   #10541
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
It was a very promising discussion I was having with a company regarding some sponsorship for the protest event but everything seemed to go quiet towards the end of last week. If I don't hear back before the end of this week I will assume it is a no go, which will be a shame because it would have helped considerably.

Alexander Hanff
No doubt the company spent the money on internet advertising instead - it's a growing market you know
Old 30-06-2008, 15:48   #10542
Paul Delaney

Going down - 1,137.00 this morning:

Share Price: 1,125.00

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

Old 30-06-2008, 15:52   #10543
jtechs
Inactive

jtechs is on a distinguished roadjtechs is on a distinguished road

even if you invest in SSL, if the page is public then they can just follow your URL, unless this is encapsulated in the SSL tunnel... if you goto https://www.somesite.org/secret/location.php they can see the GET (or am i wrong on this?)

J
Old 30-06-2008, 15:58   #10544
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Hopefully someone somewhere is coming up with an ESSL protocol..
Old 30-06-2008, 16:04   #10545
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Yes but we don't have access totheir findings plus we all know the way questions are asked can bring different answers had they said they were monitoring your every click, website looking at all the information to gather keywords then target you with adverts from this, might give a different response to the question about protecting you from phishing websites and relevent adverts. Notice the economic use of the truth to get the reply you want to be an excuse to implement the spy in the network.
The document you need is entitled "Premium Browsing: Research Findings" and is the survey BT did and which revealed that we all really want Phorm/Webwise. (Source ICO - document witheld as commercially sensitive)

Not sure if they did the survey before their secret illegal trials in 2006 and 2007 or after. I haven't been able to get a copy but I think it more or less looks like this...

Q1 - don't you hate all those irrelevant intrusive adverts - would you be interested in reducing the number of irrelevant adverts you have to look at online?
Well, yes, sort of..... - that's why I use Adblock, Flashblock, antispyware programs, and an up to date hosts file
Q2 - do you want to keep your computer secure from phishing attacks?
Well, yes, that's why I use a decent secure browser with a few secure addons.... and actually your spam filters help there too....

There - told you Phorm/Webwise was what you spent your life waiting for.

I'd love to know the name of the person who interpreted that survey as being supportive of Phorm. They could get a great job in politics.
Closed Thread