Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Queen Elizabeth II has DIED. R.I.P

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Queen Elizabeth II has DIED. R.I.P

Old 10-09-2022, 18:12   #91
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Queen Elizabeth II has DIED. R.I.P

NEW: The Prime Minister will accompany the King to Scotland on Monday, Northern Ireland on Tuesday, and Wales on Wednesday.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2022, 20:02   #92
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No, because the Pledge only (legally) matters when you’re Serving - once you’ve left, you are no longer subject to Forces discipline.
I've tried to find the definition of an allegiance and the best that I can find is that it is a formal promise.

As we all know, promises can be and are broken. If this is done whilst serving it could have serious consequences in moral and trust, so I can see that it would be punishable.

If the allegiance is broken after leaving the armed forces it isn't nearly as problematic, so that's probably why legislation has never been introduced to enable enforcement.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
NEW: The Prime Minister will accompany the King to Scotland on Monday, Northern Ireland on Tuesday, and Wales on Wednesday.
Will the Queens sons & grandsons have to guard the coffin in shifts until the day of the funeral? I remember them doing this for the Queen Mother.

I do think it odd that Charles became King tje moment his mother died.

You'd think that there would be a period to allow him to mourn before being required to jump into her shoes.

I imagine that this is a hangover from the days before Parliament and they didn't want to create a power vacuum and for operational reasons by not having a King or Queen in place.

We've effectively had to manage without a Government for a while, so I don't see why this cannot be amended in the modern age.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-09-2022 at 20:08. Reason: Spelling FAC RDA
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 20:12   #93
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I've tried to find the definition of an allegiance and the best that I can find is that it is a formal promise.

As we all know, promises can be and are broken. If this is done whilst serving it could have serious consequences in moral and trust, so I can see that it would be punishable.

If the allegiance is broken after leaving the armed forces it isn't nearly as problematic, so that's probably why legislation has never been introduced to enable enforcement.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Will the Queens sons & grandsons have to guard the coffin in shifts until the day of the funeral? I remember them doing this for the Queen Mother.

You'd think that there would be a period to allow him to mourn before being required to jump into her shoes.

I imagine that this is a hangover from the days before Parliament and they didn't want to create a power vacuum and for operational reasons by not having a King or Queen in place.

We've effectively had to manage without a Government for a while, so I don't see why this cannot be amended in the modern age.
The succession is determined by act of parliament years in advance. There’s no means by which Charles could have spent some time not being the king. Once his mother was gone that was just how it was.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 20:43   #94
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman
Not looking good. Truss got off her mark when Zahawi appeared with a note.
No... Very sad what happend...

Farewell your hyness
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 20:45   #95
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

There is nothing odd about it.
There is never a period when the country has no head of state.
As soon as the King (or Queen) dies, the power/title immediately passes to the next in line.

Quote:
We have not "managed without a government" for a while, they have always been there.
Technically, the government is still formed at the request of (and given power by) the King.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 21:16   #96
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There is nothing odd about it.
There is never a period when the country has no head of state.
As soon as the King (or Queen) dies, the power/title immediately passes to the next in line.

Historically that is not true

Depending on how far you want to go back if you wish to go pre England then the royals in the various areas did not automatically pass on the crown to an heir but the new King had to be agreed upon through a Witton. So no head of state

Quite often in history the crown was taken by force the winner was not automatically crowned at the victory but later on

And then of course there was the period between 1653 and 1660 when we had no monarch at all and the head of state was elected after the victory

So saying there has "never" been a period is wrong
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 21:30   #97
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Historically that is not true

Depending on how far you want to go back if you wish to go pre England then the royals in the various areas did not automatically pass on the crown to an heir but the new King had to be agreed upon through a Witton. So no head of state

Quite often in history the crown was taken by force the winner was not automatically crowned at the victory but later on

And then of course there was the period between 1653 and 1660 when we had no monarch at all and the head of state was elected after the victory

Perhaps go back as far as the act of Parliament Chris referred to.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 21:34   #98
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Perhaps go back as far as the act of Parliament Chris referred to.
That is only Georgian era and after. Very short period considering England itself is almost 1100 years old (or I should say as a single nation)
Old 10-09-2022, 23:51   #99
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

He never said there has never been a period … he said there never is. If you’re indulging in pedantry you have to get it right. And for the sake of pedantry, it was the Act of Settlement (1701) which has dictated all future successions to the throne. The Georgian era itself kicked off in 1714, enabled by that Act.

Incidentally the witan was a Saxon tradition. The Last Kingdom is a great piece of TV, and remarkably accurate in its portrayal of the broad historical detail, but it is located a long way pre-Norman invasion, after which everything changed quite radically. There’s really nothing in pre-Norman traditions of kingship that carries forward to the modern era.
Old 10-09-2022, 23:58   #100
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
He never said there has never been a period … he said there never is. If you’re indulging in pedantry you have to get it right. And for the sake of pedantry, it was the Act of Settlement (1701) which has dictated all future successions to the throne. The Georgian era itself kicked off in 1714, enabled by that Act.

Incidentally the witan was a Saxon tradition. The Last Kingdom is a great piece of TV, and remarkably accurate in its portrayal of the broad historical detail, but it is located a long way pre-Norman invasion, after which everything changed quite radically. There’s really nothing in pre-Norman traditions of kingship that carries forward to the modern era.
I said England as a whole country was 1100 years old. I did a lot of research on the Witton after watching the show so not all from that

George I was the first King under the settlement due to the fact Sophia of Hanover was shot before it could have been her. Do not think there is anything wrong with my pedantry on this part as it happens

Definition of the word never. I think the is or has is irrelevant as the word never was used. I am not and NEVER an English student so could be wrong but I trust dictionary definitions
[ADVERB before verb] Never means at no time in the past or at no time in the future.

According to Oxford the N means not

at no time in the past or future; not ever.
"they had never been camping in their lives"

Last edited by Jaymoss; 11-09-2022 at 00:05.
Old 11-09-2022, 00:00   #101
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Not at all … pedantry is the lifeblood of Internet forums
Old 11-09-2022, 00:07   #102
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not at all … pedantry is the lifeblood of Internet forums
hahahahaha or at the very least ones belief in their pedantry hahaha
Old 11-09-2022, 00:35   #103
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I said England as a whole country was 1100 years old. I did a lot of research on the Witton after watching the show so not all from that

George I was the first King under the settlement due to the fact Sophia of Hanover was shot before it could have been her. Do not think there is anything wrong with my pedantry on this part as it happens

Definition of the word never. I think the is or has is irrelevant as the word never was used. I am not and NEVER an English student so could be wrong but I trust dictionary definitions
[ADVERB before verb] Never means at no time in the past or at no time in the future.

According to Oxford the N means not
Unfortunately there is a problem with your pedantry. You are applying past tense to present tense.

Had Paul said there never has been you would be correct but he didn't.
As regards the coronation of the next monarch never happening immediately even after battle for the crown(e,g, the war of the roses), that still happens now.

Charles has been proclaimed king (as possibly happened on a battlefield) but his coronation won't happen until neat year.

Apologies if too pedantic.

"they had never been camping in their lives"[/QUOTE]
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 00:39   #104
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Since I didnt say that, you point is ... pointless.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:15   #105
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Unfortunately there is a problem with your pedantry. You are applying past tense to present tense.

Had Paul said there never has been you would be correct but he didn't.
As regards the coronation of the next monarch never happening immediately even after battle for the crown(e,g, the war of the roses), that still happens now.

Charles has been proclaimed king (as possibly happened on a battlefield) but his coronation won't happen until neat year.

Apologies if too pedantic.

"they had never been camping in their lives"
I am using the definition of Never though. As I say I am not highly educated so I bow to it

---------- Post added at 01:15 ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Since I didnt say that, you point is ... pointless.
Still think it is interesting even if you do not. I am still not sure the is or has makes a difference to a word that literally means not ever

To expand is Not Ever to me still means eternally future and past shrugging my shoulders