Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The UFC thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The UFC thread.

Old 13-07-2009, 12:06   #91
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: The UFC thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
Would be great but never happen for as long as Lesnar is in The UFC. Fior some reason Dana White is not intrested in Fedor, and Fedor is not intrested in the UFC.
Oh you didn't know??

http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/article/249438579.php

If Brock keeps destroying big names then Fedor will have no option but to take him on - at this rate within a year they will be the top 2 names in MMA style fighting.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2009, 12:22   #92
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Oh you didn't know??

http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/article/249438579.php

If Brock keeps destroying big names then Fedor will have no option but to take him on - at this rate within a year they will be the top 2 names in MMA style fighting.
OMG last fight with affection!!!!

Now that would be the fight of all fights!!

Glade to see you getting into it Russ!
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 12:26   #93
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Well I've not said I dislike UFC, just that I'm more of a Brock fan than a UFC fan. If he moved to a different organisation I'd follow him there too. But pro-wrestling will always come first for me

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 13:28   #94
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
I agree he shouldn't have to do it - and in the Couture match he was totally different because he treated Brock with respect and as a professional. Take sly digs and unnecessary potshots at Lesnar and you're going to have one extremely p'd off man in the ring. Couture put over Brock's abilities yet still said he was going to beat him - that's how pros do it. But Mir took it to a different level and Lesnar responded to it.

In any case his 'heel' promo after the fight was an excellent piece of business. UFC fans now want to see someone beat him even more. That's one of the big selling points of WWE events. It might not be the best PR exercise but from a ticket-selling point of view it will do wonders for UFC. Chris Eubank and Naseem Hamed did something similar in the 90s, they might not have been popular but the buy-rates hit the roof because people wanted to see someone knock them down.
You're looking at it from the WWE not perspective, not the UFC/sport perspective. There is always a bit of trash talk between fighters to ramp the match up. However Brock is taking it to panto levels as with his previous job. It doesn't work like that in professional sports. I'm sure someone took him to one side after the match and explained it to him. I'm guessing that refusing to touch gloves was all part of he panto in his mind, but its an extreme lack of respect. It only happens when there is extreme genuine bad blood between fighters. Its not done for fun.

Quote:
I didn't say it's boring - but it CAN be boring. Imagine you pay £50 for a ringside seat and all matches end with a knockout in the first round, you're going to feel a bit short-changed. OK it's unlikely to happen but there's no guarantee you're going to be entertained. I also think WWE guys are mentally and physically tougher than UFC fighters but that's a different story I guess.
It depends on if you want to see entertainment or sport. I personally would rather see 6 fighters really go at it and end 3 matches in 3 mins with a knockout than watch 45 mins of people rolling around trying to submit each other without really trying with the matches going to points. BTW, the ringside seats for the UFC at the O2 in 2008 were £150
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 13:36   #95
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
You're looking at it from the WWE not perspective, not the UFC/sport perspective. There is always a bit of trash talk between fighters to ramp the match up. However Brock is taking it to panto levels as with his previous job. It doesn't work like that in professional sports. I'm sure someone took him to one side after the match and explained it to him. I'm guessing that refusing to touch gloves was all part of he panto in his mind, but its an extreme lack of respect. It only happens when there is extreme genuine bad blood between fighters. Its not done for fun.
I think you're missing the point - Brock wasn't hamming it up, he genuinely disliked Mir because of the way he was disrespecting Lesnar in the build-up. As I said, Couture treated him like a professional and Lesnar acted like one back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
It depends on if you want to see entertainment or sport. I personally would rather see 6 fighters really go at it and end 3 matches in 3 mins with a knockout than watch 45 mins of people rolling around trying to submit each other without really trying with the matches going to points. BTW, the ringside seats for the UFC at the O2 in 2008 were £150
At WWE level the wrestlers don't just 'roll around'. There's an entertainment factor which cannot be guaranteed in legtimate contact sports.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 15:17   #96
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
At WWE level the wrestlers don't just 'roll around'. There's an entertainment factor which cannot be guaranteed in legtimate contact sports.
I wasn't talking about WWE, I was talking about UFC.

BJJ is an accepted martial art and has a place in UFC, but can be boring to see 2 accomplished BJJ fighters go straight to a takedown/clinch and then spend the entire round trying to submit each other. The ref will sometimes stand them up if its a stalemate, but more often than no they go straight back down again. Its competitive, but not exciting.

I would always want to see a short, exciting match than a long, boring one.
Old 13-07-2009, 15:33   #97
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Me too but why not a long exciting one? The Lesnar/Mir opening round was pretty abysmal really.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 15:44   #98
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Me too but why not a long exciting one? The Lesnar/Mir opening round was pretty abysmal really.
Because its sport, not entainment. If its sporting then then the sportsman has to give 100%. If he is going to pull punches in order to prolong a fight then its not a sport. That's where WWE comes in.

Also there is a lot of money at stake - $250,000 a match. It can't be put to chance.

Regarding the Lesnar/Mir match - granted there wasn't much technique but at least there was a bit of action.
Old 13-07-2009, 15:44   #99
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Excellent article here, summing it up better than I ever could: http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/inde...&mode=threaded

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 16:08   #100
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Your kidding right?

If that’s your opinion then………………..Go back to WWF.

I thought it was a top fight Mir was a mess at the end.
Old 13-07-2009, 16:12   #101
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Your kidding right?

If that’s your opinion then………………..Go back to WWF.

I thought it was a top fight Mir was a mess at the end.
I didn't say the fight was abysmal, I said the first round was and judging by the booing crowd, they probably agreed.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 16:17   #102
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
I didn't say the fight was abysmal, I said the first round was and judging by the booing crowd, they probably agreed.
I think you will find they where booing Lesnar.
Old 13-07-2009, 16:19   #103
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
I think you will find they where booing Lesnar.
It was when they were both grounded and barely moving for a minute or so. Very little action in the first round and very boring. CBS Sports described it as a "Surprisingly, almost shockingly, uneventful round."

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 16:20   #104
STONEISLAND
Inactive

I guess it would have been better if they where jumping off the top of the cage onto each other.
Old 13-07-2009, 16:23   #105
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

To be honest I've never seen that in UFC. Had the first round been more like the second, the crowd would have preferred it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory