Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2008, 09:25   #10411
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Well that was werth the wate to see. What Film editor did you use? Is it Free?
Thanks, I used Windows Movie Maker, which is free with XP (I've got a distant recollection there are two versions, the second version is much more stable than the first, and it was an optional upgrade you can download from Windows Update). Titles, sound tracks, & video effects are very easy to add.

Kevin MacLeod kindly pointed out that the credits need to mention Tchaikovski. Updated version here with correct credits.

Phorm/BT please note, for avoidance of doubt, I have made a voluntary donation for use of the music. In effect, paying a consenting copyright owner for use of his creative works. You might like to think very hard about consent and payment too.
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2008, 10:29   #10412
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Ok, after 2 hours detailed law research, I've looked harder at the rules. I can't see anything to indicate the film is covered by UK or US copyrights.
I agree. I'll upload it. (There's no sound track, it was silent film!).

You have to be careful (I am very careful). There is copyright in the musical arrangement and copyright in the performance.
Copyright in the musical arrangement may have lapsed, but Kevin MacLeods performance of that music is still covered by a copyright. Fortuneatly the terms and conditions of his copyright make it possible for me to use the music without payment of royalties.

I take copyright very seriously, can you tell?

---------- Post added at 07:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

Incidentally, after spending 2 hours hand wringing trying to establish whether a 103 year old film in which all the performers are certainly stone cold dead decades ago, where the film was lodged as a paper series of photographs, and after reviewing 100+ years of USA, UK and EU copyright legislation to make certain there was no violation of copyright for non-commercial use...

... you would have to be smoking crack to believe it is legally possible to copy web pages, in effect literary works which are mostly less than 1 year old.

---------- Post added at 07:41 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Enjoy. Click on the picture below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8bUa_wooeA

Credits to the creative genius of Thomas Alva Edison, and Kevin MacLeod of Incompetech.

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.
Thomas A. Edison
I tip my cap.
Old 28-06-2008, 12:31   #10413
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf View Post
There's also another address for the website without using swear words
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/

Just KFO'd both Phorm and Kent
their website tracker tools are interesting to
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?action=tools

kents No is 45
phorm No is 132
Bt No is 44

do you have to be registered before your comments show up there?, i cant seem to see any of my or anyones comments! in the "Reasons/Comments" sections.

i clicked add reason/comment, entered my reasons and then clicked the nominate in the right order but nothing appearing... a Bug perhaps, or is it visable to registered users there?

BTW kents just gone up from 6 to 5 in the rankings, the stand alone tool makes a rattle noise when something changes, try it
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?action=tools#tracker
Old 28-06-2008, 12:49   #10414
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
their website tracker tools are interesting to
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?action=tools

kents No is 45
phorm No is 132
Bt No is 44

do you have to be registered before your comments show up there?, i cant seem to see any of my or anyones comments! in the "Reasons/Comments" sections.

i clicked add reason/comment, entered my reasons and then clicked the nominate in the right order but nothing appearing... a Bug perhaps, or is it visable to registered users there?

Just visited the site think you need a new thread for this so not to dilute the compaign too much making it harder to find the information.
Old 28-06-2008, 13:27   #10415
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Just visited the site think you need a new thread for this so not to dilute the compaign too much making it harder to find the information.
done, see here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34586408

made it a general longer term OT BR type related posts thread.

so anything that looks like it might become a larger subject can be moved there if we remember the URL after a few pages have passed by...

just managed to put the OT BR thread URl in my sig for now to help others remember to keep it visable and used.

one off OT BR posts can stay here,but moved there if it gets lots of OT replys...and linked back here in a few lines of direct URL and comment hint.
Old 28-06-2008, 13:34   #10416
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Agree, Good Idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
done, see here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post34586408

made it a general longer term OT BR type related posts thread.

so anything that looks like it might become a larger subject can be moved there if we remember the URL after a few pages have passed by...
Well done popper.
Old 28-06-2008, 14:00   #10417
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Florence,

I have an idea for you and other posters. I see CF forum as a rolling Phorm dialog and BadPhorm as a indexed hierarchy with commentry, why don't you start a thread(s) under the "Phorm Talk" section with links to the CF forum posts. You can categorise and break the posts into the appropriate groups and make your own makeshift index to the useful information.

BadPhorm.co.uk supports editing so you can start a page and re-edit the page(s) as the information changes. If lots of people start pooling their efforts it would soon become a great information repository index.

If you want to make it into a more formal database you can develop your own XML structures and cut-n-paste them as plain text into the page(s)

Hope that helps.
Old 28-06-2008, 14:07   #10418
warescouse
cf.addict

Armed with the initial FOI request scans by Dephormation and when we have fully consumed the interesting information contained within, we should consolidate ideas for our next best move or plan of attack so to speak.

We should attempt to ensure that further requests are precisely worded to fill any missing gaps that have come to light after the last disclosures. The more loose ends we can tie up the better we can fight this illegal WebWise interception.

It is fairly obvious the Phorm and Kent are doing the rounds, so to speak, with the influential community and it is up to us to ensure that our counter claims are well targeted.

Knowledge is power as Kent would like to think and although we are doing a great job I still think we are playing catch up. There is probably about 98% of the population still to educate. Unless Phorm and BT get hit by one of the Big Boys (please, please) who object to Phorm illegaly creaming off their own legal cake we must ensure we do not sit back and pat ourselves on the back just yet.
Old 28-06-2008, 14:35   #10419
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I can recommend KFO as a way to vent frustration. Spare David Davis an SOS while you're at it.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

I've got a charming promo video, put together using a very old film clip from 1905 (taken from the 'Burglars slide for life').

I've used a brilliant royalty free recording of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies... by Kevin MacLeod of Incompetech.

The video is fab, and I'd love to share it. I can't because I fear it may still be in copyright (the script author died 67 years ago, worst case copyright may still exist for 70 years after the last performer/author's death).

Shame, I'd love to share it with everyone.

Makes me so angry BT think they can claim the right to ignore copyright with impunity, at the same time as they serve disconnection warning letters on their own customers for copyright abuse.

as you know i want this consumer protest video to grow and easy for any of us to use so i thought id put this subject up on the OT BR thread.

creative commons is the thing.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ll-things.html

did you, as in Everyone thinking of taking 5 minutes to make a video with your mobile phone, link your videos into the special Phorm NoDPI section too?
https://nodpi.org/2008/06/02/youtube...etition-group/
Old 28-06-2008, 16:22   #10420
jcardiff
Inactive

jcardiff will become famous soon enoughjcardiff will become famous soon enoughjcardiff will become famous soon enough

having been away from this thread for a bit and having attempted to glance through the ridiculous amount of posts in one thread I wonder if someone can summarise
what is happening and are there any recent developments?
Old 28-06-2008, 17:18   #10421
Fuseedumbam
Permanently Banned

Fuseedumbam is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Yerba Mansa

[Admin Edit: Spam Post deleted]
Old 28-06-2008, 17:21   #10422
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

*** Spammer Reported ***
Old 28-06-2008, 17:30   #10423
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Now, will someone please start giving answers about the theft. This is about burglary and not arson. There is no arson.

Does anyone know how to approach the Home Office and ask them to look into the case of burglary.
I really like that "There is no arson" analogy.

I think, when discussing ad delivery in targetted advertising, regulatory bodies assume that explicit informed consent would have already been given by the customer (victim) as a basic requirement of law.

It's this legal requirement which is holding up further BT trials, as technically, as I understand it, they will be struggling to comply with it.

Old 28-06-2008, 18:06   #10424
popper
Inactive

OT BR thread #2 IAB Membership Extended Way Beyond Publishers
Old 28-06-2008, 19:01   #10425
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardiff View Post
having been away from this thread for a bit and having attempted to glance through the ridiculous amount of posts in one thread I wonder if someone can summarise
what is happening and are there any recent developments?
Check out http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ad-page-2.html

icsys has been kindly doing a summary of important developments. I think it is still a work in progress. (never ending ) It should bring you up to mid this month, where you can catch up by a bit of homework in this thread. Worth doing!
Closed Thread