Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27   #991
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Couple of developments.

Firstly the Chancellor is planning a corporation tax cut to try and maintain business activity. We'll be rocking the off-shore tax haven vibe.

Stephen Crabb if elected leader would spend £100bn on infrastructure projects to try and stimulate the economy.

Both normal reactions to a slowing economy although the second of the two is surprising from a Conservative and shows I reckon just how centrist some of the modern Conservative Party is.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36   #992
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Stephen Crabb is the best of the candidates IMO. Other than the alleged homophobia anyway.....
Old 04-07-2016, 09:57   #993
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
What a load of crap !!!!!

First off, It's Middlesbrough

In which way is it becoming a ghost city?

Multiple high end developments such as Acklam Hall (including the refurbishment of the hall itself and the new houses that have been built, the houses that were built on Church lane The Storey development at Low Lane
The houses at Low Lane for a 4 bed detached start at £244,000 the ones on Church Lane were up starting at £350,000 and Acklam Hall starting at £245,000

Church Lane sold out in two weeks, Acklam hall has perhaps three properties left

c) The Baker Street development, and also thriving micro pubs that are springing up. You have major retailers in the high street such as Debenhams,House of Fraser, and there is a fast growing independent retail scene also

There is a huge amount of regeneration work currently going on in Middlesbrough, including the work currently on going in Grovehill

Not sure how it's a ghost city?
And what about the MP who said last year that people should just leave the Boro? Let it rot was his remarks if I remember correctly. Sure there's regeneration but who's benefit is it for? Sunderland and Hartlepool. Marinas, Expensive blocks of flats to name but two examples? I don't see any sign of regeneration in Peterlee, Easington, Horden, Easington Lane, Haswell, Shotton, Weatly Hill, South Hetton. These are all towns round me and as I've said have lost everything. Where's the investment in these towns? These regenerations you are talking about only benefit the upper class and rich, not the likes of you and me. Maybe I should have said ghost town as regards the working class or poorer class families. I stand by my statement.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Couple of developments.

Firstly the Chancellor is planning a corporation tax cut to try and maintain business activity. We'll be rocking the off-shore tax haven vibe.

Stephen Crabb if elected leader would spend £100bn on infrastructure projects to try and stimulate the economy.

Both normal reactions to a slowing economy although the second of the two is surprising from a Conservative and shows I reckon just how centrist some of the modern Conservative Party is.
hen we are trying to negotiate a good deal with the EU I'm not sure lowering Corporation Tax is the right move at this point. Later on, yes it would be great but the EU will see it as the first move in negotiations. The second point I agree with however, £100 million more has also been promised per week to the NHS. Where's the money coming from? I thought we were telling lies when we said the NHS would benefit from leaving the EU financially regardless of the amount quoted?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02   #994
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
hen we are trying to negotiate a good deal with the EU I'm not sure lowering Corporation Tax is the right move at this point. Later on, yes it would be great but the EU will see it as the first move in negotiations. The second point I agree with however, £100 million more has also been promised per week to the NHS. Where's the money coming from? I thought we were telling lies when we said the NHS would benefit from leaving the EU financially regardless of the amount quoted?
Lowering corporation tax is an attempt to ensure businesses stay in the UK to offset recent events alongside our likely leaving the single market. It's not a negotiating position any more than the expected interest rate reduction to zero.

The EU won't be bothered by our corporation tax rate especially. They were bothered by Ireland's as it's within the Eurozone and EEA, while the likeliest course of events for right now seems to be that we won't be in the EEA due to opposition to freedom of movement.

If anything it'll be seen as the start of leaving rather than any negotiation. Beginning a divergence from the EU.

Where the money for Crabb's investment is coming from is in the article - borrowing.

Quote:
They plan to issue up to £20bn of long-dated bonds each year for five successive years to create the fund.

Last edited by Ignitionnet; 04-07-2016 at 10:05.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:08   #995
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Given that many MPs were against Brexit, the passing of legislation to implement Brexit may be harder than first thought.

We were led to believe that Cameron could simply activate it verbally or in writing when he was PM but some are working to ensure that it will be not as easy as that.

I'm just grateful that we are not under a major attack from terrorists because given the time taken to move Brexit things on such an occurrence would be an even greater cause for concern than usual.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:21   #996
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
And what about the MP who said last year that people should just leave the Boro? Let it rot was his remarks if I remember correctly. Sure there's regeneration but who's benefit is it for? Sunderland and Hartlepool. Marinas, Expensive blocks of flats to name but two examples? I don't see any sign of regeneration in Peterlee, Easington, Horden, Easington Lane, Haswell, Shotton, Weatly Hill, South Hetton. These are all towns round me and as I've said have lost everything. Where's the investment in these towns? These regenerations you are talking about only benefit the upper class and rich, not the likes of you and me. Maybe I should have said ghost town as regards the working class or poorer class families. I stand by my statement.[COLOR="Silver"]
The upper class or rich in Middlesbrough.... So are these people already here? Or are they moving in from out of the area, regardless it's money being pumped into the local economy.

There are major developments in Easington, Peterlee and Wheatley Hill also which means money will be spent on the economy,

Look at the expenditure on Stockton High Street for example, again improvement for people in all walks of life. Sunderland, the money spent on the sea front

Middlesbrough is not without it's faults, however to class as a ghost town for the working class and poor simply isn't true.

How would you, regenerate the areas?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:30   #997
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Given that many MPs were against Brexit, the passing of legislation to implement Brexit may be harder than first thought.

We were led to believe that Cameron could simply activate it verbally or in writing when he was PM but some are working to ensure that it will be not as easy as that.
Yes, I've seen it.

The law is the law. Given how divisive all this has been the last thing we need is the button to be pushed with the resulting fallout, then for us to be told it wasn't actually legal and it all gets dredged up again.

If this case prevents that from happening I'm fine with it.

We are where we are and I'm sure most have had quite enough of the accusations, anger, gloating, immodesty and all the rest of the bad sides of our characters that this has exposed.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51   #998
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Lowering corporation tax is an attempt to ensure businesses stay in the UK to offset recent events alongside our likely leaving the single market. It's not a negotiating position any more than the expected interest rate reduction to zero.

The EU won't be bothered by our corporation tax rate especially. They were bothered by Ireland's as it's within the Eurozone and EEA, while the likeliest course of events for right now seems to be that we won't be in the EEA due to opposition to freedom of movement.

If anything it'll be seen as the start of leaving rather than any negotiation. Beginning a divergence from the EU.

Where the money for Crabb's investment is coming from is in the article - borrowing.
What you don't think the EU will bring theirs down as it will likely attract investment in the UK? Surely the logical step would be for them to do likewise?

Theresa May will try and keep us in the single market even if it means freedom of movement. Hope she won't get in. this was said on breakfast this morning.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
The upper class or rich in Middlesbrough.... So are these people already here? Or are they moving in from out of the area, regardless it's money being pumped into the local economy.

There are major developments in Easington, Peterlee and Wheatley Hill also which means money will be spent on the economy,

Look at the expenditure on Stockton High Street for example, again improvement for people in all walks of life. Sunderland, the money spent on the sea front

Middlesbrough is not without it's faults, however to class as a ghost town for the working class and poor simply isn't true.

There are employers here yes but they take on staff through agencies on 0 hours contracts. My 2 lads were on this and didn't get a contract for aver a year, well one of them so some do get jobs. As to regenerating these areas you have to entice firms into the area and they ain't gonna come to these areas unless there is an incentive to do so which means better infrastructure and rail and roads. Yes we have the A1, A1(M) and A19 but these all need seriously upgraded specially the A1 and A19 to make it easier for transport to get here. We need to build more new affordable housing for renting or buying or regenerate the older ones for families to live in and we need jobs for them to go to like engineering, manufacturing and encourage small business to take off.

There is a train now runs from Sunderland to London instead of having to go to Newcastle but they are few and far between. These lines need upgraded, never mind HS2. They already have connecting lines to other main cities whereas we do not unless you go to Newcastle.

Only in this way will industry and other business be attracted to this area. I take it you're from the Boro so you'll know what I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:
Yes, I've seen it.

The law is the law. Given how divisive all this has been the last thing we need is the button to be pushed with the resulting fallout, then for us to be told it wasn't actually legal and it all gets dredged up again.

We are where we are and I'm sure most have had quite enough of the accusations, anger, gloating, immodesty and all the rest of the bad sides of our characters that this has exposed.
Parliament made the mistake by not stipulating that the result had to have a certain percentage before it could be legal say 55%-45% or even 60%-40%. They didn't so majority rules. I believe they did it in 79 when Scotland wanted an assembly then and it failed though more were in favour than against. Some Labour MP said it had to be 2/3 or something but they fell short. Get used to it we will be out one way or another. I think there is some act from 72 that they could use too would have to research it.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:53   #999
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Yes, I've seen it.

The whole thing has been a shambles and a bitter, divisive one at that given the way in which views were expressed.

If we had compulsory voting and an option on voting forms giving voters the option not to vote for any of the listed candidates or options we would probably have a clearer idea where everybody stood and perhaps the resulting percentages would give us a clearer idea of what the majority national view was.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:03   #1000
Big Brian
Inactive

Quote:

Are you saying there are none in the Boro? There must be.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16   #1001
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

Oh there is. They and the disgruntled Labour members could form a new Party to take on Labour and the Tories. They won't cease to be just because they have achieved their main goal. Shades of the gang of four here. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility.[COLOR="Silver"]
Hadn't considered that actually and i must say it is a strong possibility thinking about it .

Quote:
What a load of crap !!!!!

First off, It's Middlesbrough

In which way is it becoming a ghost city?

Multiple high end developments such as Acklam Hall (including the refurbishment of the hall itself and the new houses that have been built, the houses that were built on Church lane The Storey development at Low Lane
The houses at Low Lane for a 4 bed detached start at £244,000 the ones on Church Lane were up starting at £350,000 and Acklam Hall starting at £245,000

Church Lane sold out in two weeks, Acklam hall has perhaps three properties left

c) The Baker Street development, and also thriving micro pubs that are springing up. You have major retailers in the high street such as Debenhams,House of Fraser, and there is a fast growing independent retail scene also

There is a huge amount of regeneration work currently going on in Middlesbrough, including the work currently on going in Grovehill

Not sure how it's a ghost city?
I work on the council estates in the N.E and to be honest the regeneration money is targeted at the wrong areas ,you've just proved as much with your examples above .Newcastle ,Sunderland,Hartlepool and Middlesborough all have had millions and millions thrown at them and as far as the ordinary bloke that lost his job when the factories or the docks closed is concerned it's all useless.When the Redcar steel works is pulled down what's the betting that the people who used to work there get didley squat apart from a nice view of some high end housing they have no hope of ever owning .

Quote:
And what about the MP who said last year that people should just leave the Boro? Let it rot was his remarks if I remember correctly. Sure there's regeneration but who's benefit is it for? Sunderland and Hartlepool. Marinas, Expensive blocks of flats to name but two examples? I don't see any sign of regeneration in Peterlee, Easington, Horden, Easington Lane, Haswell, Shotton, Weatly Hill, South Hetton. These are all towns round me and as I've said have lost everything. Where's the investment in these towns? These regenerations you are talking about only benefit the upper class and rich, not the likes of you and me. Maybe I should have said ghost town as regards the working class or poorer class families. I stand by my statement.[COLOR="Silver"]
I fit windows in all those places for the LA's and associations and a large proportion of the tenants are unemployed ,probably used to work down the pits that closed and most definately have not benefited much at all from the regeneration money

Old 04-07-2016, 12:31   #1002
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
The whole thing has been a shambles and a bitter, divisive one at that given the way in which views were expressed.

If we had compulsory voting and an option on voting forms giving voters the option not to vote for any of the listed candidates or options we would probably have a clearer idea where everybody stood and perhaps the resulting percentages would give us a clearer idea of what the majority national view was.
Why do you keep harping on about compulsory voting? We do not live in a dictatorship.

Voting is a right each and everyone has the option to excersise or not.

No-one will tell me I have to vote. That is my choice.
Old 04-07-2016, 13:22   #1003
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
What you don't think the EU will bring theirs down as it will likely attract investment in the UK? Surely the logical step would be for them to do likewise?
No. The EU aren't interested in a race to the bottom on headline corporation tax rates - see Republic of Ireland and their 12.5% rate. The others haven't rushed to compete with that.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
Theresa May will try and keep us in the single market even if it means freedom of movement. Hope she won't get in. this was said on breakfast this morning.
Smart, but probably unpopular.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why do you keep harping on about compulsory voting? We do not live in a dictatorship.

Australia has compulsory voting. I wouldn't call it a dictatorship.
Old 04-07-2016, 13:47   #1004
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

There shouldn't be compulsory voting but we could make it a hell of a lot easier to vote, and actively try and get everyone on the register.

Why can't we vote online, this is the 21st Century ? Security is just an excuse; postal voting and just turning up at the polling station and saying a say a name is no less secure. The changes the Govt. have made recently resulted on many young not being on the register. There may be a political advantage for them in this, but it worked against them in the referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...rm-voting-sys/
Old 04-07-2016, 14:02   #1005
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:

No, we do not live in a dictatorship, but even in a democracy like ours there are rules and laws which people do have to obey.

The whole point about getting everyone to vote is so that politicians cannot accuse the public of voter apathy.

Because 28% of people did not vote in the referendum we now have the close result that some people are unhappy about.

No-one knows how that 28% would have voted but more importantly no-one is trying to find out.

If everybody votes, say, in a general election and a high percentage mark the box indicating that that they do not want to vote for the options presented the politicians cannot blame voter apathy and are forced to ask themselves why that is, as are the media.This may cause them to revise their policies.

Let's not forget that if you really do not want a vote you are free to remove yourself from the voting list. This won't affect the percentages as by not registering you will not be eligible to vote.
Closed Thread