Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2008, 12:18   #9826
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney
Yes it can be - I've never personally had a problem with it but...

Do you think I would recommend running a program that would damage rather than cure?
I gonna have to disagree here, there are certain infections that will render a users system useless if you use CF first.
Its not just about running tools, its researching every entry and from that putting a fix together, for example, which order would you put tools in and why.

Combofix is not just a tool, it is also a diagnostic tool and with so many changes to CF as malware develops, removing the wrong thing will also cause the users system to become useless.

Quote:
You'll have to trust me on this one because there are several tools I use daily to remove these parasites, part of my work involves providing a non - destructive virus removal service mostly to small businesses.
What do you do if CF does not remove files on the first run?

Quote:
All of them can be dangerous if handled in the wrong way.
I agree.

Quote:
It would be irresponsible of me to post a cure for this problem without first knowing what I was talking about and I see identical problems every week.
I too help users and am trained to use CF, if anything goes wrong i can speak to the tools creator along with many others, i would never run CF without seeing either a hijackthis log or DSS log first and neither would any analyst i know.

So, you run CF for the first time and you have look at the text file it produces, from the reg dump this shows up, what would you do.

Quote:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\contro l\lsa]
"Authentication Packages"= msv1_0 C:\WINDOWS\system32\xtisps.exe
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2008, 12:33   #9827
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post
I gonna have to disagree here, there are certain infections that will render a users system useless if you use CF first.
Its not just about running tools, its researching every entry and from that putting a fix together, for example, which order would you put tools in and why.

Combofix is not just a tool, it is also a diagnostic tool and with so many changes to CF as malware develops, removing the wrong thing will also cause the users system to become useless.

I agree.

I too help users and am trained to use CF, if anything goes wrong i can speak to the tools creator along with many others, i would never run CF without seeing either a hijackthis log or DSS log first and neither would any analyst i know.

So, you run CF for the first time and you have look at the text file it produces, from the reg dump this shows up, what would you do.
Please yourself - I wasn't expecting to debate it - you work out why half of nodpi.org cannot be viewed then.

Old 22-06-2008, 12:50   #9828
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

There's a feature on the Politics show at the moment about having data collected on us, and they say it's time we fought back. No doubt it will be on the Iplayer later
Old 22-06-2008, 13:00   #9829
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

RH got there before me

"the Politics show" just had an interesting personal data and the loss of it "surveillance society" section....
Old 22-06-2008, 13:02   #9830
ilago
Inactive

ilago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post

I was about to post the same thing. Combofix is not a tool for people untrained in its use. It does not remove all malware. There are some specific infections that it does remove, but there are many it does not. The logs need careful reading and assessment.

Back to fighting with the people that used to provide rootkits and forced advertising on unsuspecting users in the recent past
Old 22-06-2008, 13:06   #9831
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilago View Post
I was about to post the same thing. Combofix is not a tool for people untrained in its use. It does not remove all malware. There are some specific infections that it does remove, but there are many it does not. The logs need careful reading and assessment.

Back to fighting with the people that used to provide rootkits and forced advertising on unsuspecting users in the recent past
I use Avira it seams to find more and rid more than the other freebies out there.
Old 22-06-2008, 13:09   #9832
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Please yourself - I wasn't expecting to debate it - you work out why half of nodpi.org cannot be viewed then.
I am not trying to debate you, all i am trying to do is show people that CF is more than just a scanner, the tools creator puts alot of work into his tool and it does frustrate him when people use it incorrectly or do not understand the workings of CF, if you are interested in fighting malware, your are always welcome to join any of the HJT schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilago
I agree.
Old 22-06-2008, 13:27   #9833
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the list Ryewolf .. and welcome to the forum!
Old 22-06-2008, 13:57   #9834
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

"the Politics show"

Data security

nothing great (perhaps to be expected from the BBC these days)but its the last section 45 minutes in.

direct video link for your VLC /MPC player
mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/n5ctrl/tvseq/od/bbc1/bb/wm/video/pol_show_bb.wmv

prefer it in your (windows) browser, click the top right latest full program link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ow/default.stm

the featured ladys week
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ow/7457618.stm
Old 22-06-2008, 14:24   #9835
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
Yes, and what they actually tell you they will do with your info, as laid out in the "Privacy Policy" (yeah! privacy, my arse!), is quite frightening.
cut...
OB
I did see that but I thought I would leave that to the inquisitive. I did particularly dislike
"Here's what we do know...
While we don't know the identity of Subscribers, the ContextPlus AdServer and CP collect and use the following kinds of anonymous information:
Some of the Web pages viewed
The amount of time spent at some Web sites
Response to ContextPlus Ads
Standard web log information (including IP Addresses and system settings
What software is on the personal computer
"
(Bold is mine)

Of course you have to take the word of this spyware company regarding what personal data they do not collect in that same agreement.
Old 22-06-2008, 14:40   #9836
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSon View Post
Sadly I have received no registration e-mail either (from nodpi.org). I used my throwaway hotmail address in case it is of any significance, is plausible hotmail isn't letting it through - it's filtering can be indiscriminate.

On a positive note, all site navigation appears to be working
Same here no response from nodpi.org using a hotmail e-mail address.
Old 22-06-2008, 14:44   #9837
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Is it possible that persons unknown have added nodpi.org to an anti-spam database?
Old 22-06-2008, 14:49   #9838
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
The odd thing is the original registration e-mail never arrived - however if you click on the 'forgot my password' button, those further e-mails do get delivered into hotmail. Sadly the link contained in said e-mail doesn't work, but Alex is aware of this one.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Is it possible that persons unknown have added nodpi.org to an anti-spam database?
In my cynnical mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is the case.
Old 22-06-2008, 14:53   #9839
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
I've checked a few lists after the last issues were reported, and nodpi.org appeared not to be on any list.

It could be a case that certain webmail clients, as a results of protecting their own lists of users, indicate nopdi.org as spam or junk mail. nodpi.org could be possibly read by the protective code in webmail clients as a possible bot, due to the apparent randomness of the address.

Just a thought...
Old 22-06-2008, 15:00   #9840
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

If there is third party interference with the NoDPI reg are we saying PHILTH
Closed Thread