Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2018, 15:57   #916
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Your entitled to your opinion...
You are too kind.

What I've noticed is that some regular Remainers on this thread have nothing but contempt for key Leavers. I haven't seen the Leavers on this thread pour such vitriol and scorn on the leading Remain politicos, who are trying to overthrow a democratic decision.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2018, 16:10   #917
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You are too kind.

What I've noticed is that some regular Remainers on this thread have nothing but contempt for key Leavers. I haven't seen the Leavers on this thread pour such vitriol and scorn on the leading Remain politicos, who are trying to overthrow a democratic decision.
The fact is Seph, we know no matter what we say there's just no changing them.

They are like religious zealots. Their belief is unchangeable.
Old 18-08-2018, 16:22   #918
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The fact is Seph, we know no matter what we say there's just no changing them.

They are like religious zealots. Their belief is unchangeable.
Quite. Sort of Corbyn-like but more vocal about their prejudices.

Old 18-08-2018, 16:54   #919
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit Discussion (New thread-Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It's official, though I never had any doubt, our former coward of a PM, "Colluded" with U.S President Obama in 2016, to stop Brexit by blackmail with the back of Queue for trade threat....

What's the Russian word for "Hypocrites". ?

Лицемеры !!!

https://news.sky.com/story/cameron-p...rning-11423669
Mick, I owe you a big apology on this.

What Obama said had never made sense to me, right from the beginning. I made some comments on it on a site that I used to run:

http://www.elite-politics.com/showth...ull=1#post1624

I'll copy the relevant parts of it, here:

Quote:
He said that "Brits would have to get to the back of the line" in respect to trade deals...now for a guy who race whores as much as Obama does, for him to utter those words was truly remarkable. He may as well have told Brits to go sit at the back of the bus / or "go drink out of that water fountain over there" (whilst pointing) if the vote leads to a decision to leave. Maybe I am reading too much into his comments here but it almost felt like he was telling Brits "you are lower than segregated blacks in the south in the 60's IMO". A disgusting comment from a President who is doing nothing more than attention seeking at this point.

If his intent was to help guide Brits to stay, he failed. Abysmally.

For the most part, I would kind of get annoyed at myself for seeing the same analogy - but be annoyed because I had compared nationalists to blacks before CR legislation came into effect.

I kind of saw it as Obama saying "you lost don't deserve to be equal - separate, sure but not equal".

So it was part of the reason that I spent a little less time on the site (one of the two reasons) for a while because I felt pretty bad about it? Why? Because I started doing the exact same thing - replying to pro leave / nationalist posters but only when I had waited a few weeks / put them to the "back of the line" effectively, for lack of a better term. I started doing exactly what Obama and Cameron wanted to do.

At the time I was just annoyed at myself for comparing blacks before the CRA badly, then I spoke to a few leave voters here and quite a few (all but one in fact) treated me very kindly and nicely. Then finally I realized that I was being passive aggressive / the one thing I hate. In treating the posters who I differed with as second class citizens.

I didn't mean to, but fwiw it is a leave leaning poster (Sephiroth) who finally woke me up to some of my bad behavior / made me realize that a lot of the leave side are not bad at all.

We may disagree some over Europe but at the end of the day that is just a difference over a political issue and even though I didn't seem it at first, I am fine to keep perfectly healthy friendships with just about anyone ; no matter what the political difference. I am probably better versed in regards to politics and law than just about anyone here....what I didn't realize is that I was turning into a politician, with my behavior here.
Old 18-08-2018, 17:05   #920
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
<SNIP>

<SNIP>

I didn't mean to, but fwiw it is a leave leaning poster (Sephiroth) who finally woke me up to some of my bad behavior / made me realize that a lot of the leave side are not bad at all.
<SNIP
Just had to say

Old 18-08-2018, 17:10   #921
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

You really did open me up to some of my antics here, I have a tendency to control the way that discussions go / see things ahead of time and the discussion gets the life sucked out of it.

So in that sense we all owe you a debt of gratitude.

xx
Old 18-08-2018, 18:09   #922
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
Nigel Farage back in politics to challenge Theresa May's Brexit

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-far...rexit-11475417

Nigel Farage is returning to frontline politics to challenge what he describes as Theresa May's "fraudulent" Brexit plan.

The former UKIP leader said he would be part of a battle bus tour by the Leave Means Leave group to oppose the prime minister's proposals......
My guess is his campaign will be launched the week the preparedness papers are launched, pushing those down the news. Not sure why he’s unhappy at how democratically elected government is performing. Sounds like he hates democracy and the will of the people. The people could have voted UKIP but didn’t, they trusted the Tories to deliver Brexit.
Old 18-08-2018, 18:49   #923
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not necessarily. There wasn’t a GE called when Cameron resigned. Plus there is that little issue of the fixed term parliament act and I think people in U.K. are getting a little tired of elections.
This is actually the biggest hurdle in getting somewhere. The FTPA ; another thing Cameron and Clegg screwed part of the Tory party over.

Okay so the way I see it...if May caves to the EU to get this Checkers deal, they will say no. She loses on that front. If they say no and there is a no deal scenario, parliament will vote it down. The UK will stay in the EU by default. (The EU will amend the A50 withdrawal, for that purpose). Labor will not back this current deal, so she can't even get it through with their support (in parliament) - every option she loses.

The only way round this that I see is if the rank and file turf her and a new leader comes in - he calls a new GE and the country has a GE. Yes, the FTPA is an issue but if a majority vote for a new election then the parliamentary rules allow for it to be called on a simple majority.

Which MP is going to say no to the idea of another GE? May is the only thing holding it up...I have been saying for over a year now that she is the issue and now finally everyone else is coming round to the idea....but you have a very short time to get this done. If she falls in Oct you have months left to call a GE and get a larger majority...otherwise a "no deal" exit will fail, and the UK will stay in the EU.

Her plan is toast. A no deal scenario is the only way forward - you can't do it with the current numbers in Whitehall, she has to go and the new leader of the Tories would be able to justify a GE. Corbyn is there for the taking now, you will win big, so long as you don't pick the wrong leader.

You won't leave the EU with this parliamentary breakdown.
Old 18-08-2018, 20:42   #924
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
My guess is his campaign will be launched the week the preparedness papers are launched, pushing those down the news. Not sure why he’s unhappy at how democratically elected government is performing. Sounds like he hates democracy and the will of the people. The people could have voted UKIP but didn’t, they trusted the Tories to deliver Brexit.
There's the conundrum. A democratically elected government making a hash of the democratically decision by the people to leave the EU.

Strange that you say Farage "hates democracy and the will of the people". My reading of Farage in this context is that wants to make sure that the will of the people, expressed in the Referendum result, is properly respected.

Old 18-08-2018, 20:57   #925
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

The only problem I see with these top business leaders panicking over Brexit is all the back handers that have come from the EU once we pull out we'll soon see who is in my back pocket people are.
Old 18-08-2018, 21:02   #926
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
There's the conundrum. A democratically elected government making a hash of the democratically decision by the people to leave the EU.

Strange that you say Farage "hates democracy and the will of the people". My reading of Farage in this context is that wants to make sure that the will of the people, expressed in the Referendum result, is properly respected.
Wasn't it Farage who said a 52:48 referendum result wouldn't be the end of the matter ? He's a hypocrite.
Old 18-08-2018, 21:27   #927
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Wasn't it Farage who said a 52:48 referendum result wouldn't be the end of the matter ? He's a hypocrite.
So that everybody knows what you're talking about: Farage said that before the Referendum in the context of a 52/48 vote in favour of Remain.

Far from being a hypocrite, he was holding steadfast to his mission.

We are dealing now with a 52/48 Leave result which Farage and others fear is being subverted by May and Hammond.

The real shame is not the Referendum result - but the inability of the guvmin to deliver a decent Brexit. In present circumstances, my minimum standard would be a Canada type deal.

Old 18-08-2018, 21:42   #928
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So that everybody knows what you're talking about: Farage said that before the Referendum in the context of a 52/48 vote in favour of Remain.

Far from being a hypocrite, he was holding steadfast to his mission.

We are dealing now with a 52/48 Leave result which Farage and others fear is being subverted by May and Hammond.

The real shame is not the Referendum result - but the inability of the guvmin to deliver a decent Brexit. In present circumstances, my minimum standard would be a Canada type deal.
Ah I see, so some 52:48 results are different to others

They can't deliver a decent Brexit, it's fundamentally flawed. Damage limitation is the best they can hope for.
Old 18-08-2018, 22:03   #929
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Also Farage did also say that he would support the idea of a second referendum, even after leave won the current referendum:

This was in January of this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ferendum-video
Old 18-08-2018, 22:07   #930
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
exactly
Closed Thread