Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2008, 09:29   #9226
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
web pages last week was blank untill a refresh and some even timing out, also notice the trace routes are different again compared to last week and the one before that less hops now last week more hops inside the bt network.
I'm having alot of blank pages too. Some will load with a refresh, some won't!!!
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2008, 09:57   #9227
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
I'm having alot of blank pages too. Some will load with a refresh, some won't!!!

I have a question about Web Browser Operation.

What Really happens when a Browser receives a 307 relocate request & the relocated Site is blocked either in the Hosts File or a Firewall?

Does the Browser repeat the request for the Original WebSite or retry on the 307 relocate, if it is the Original Website then the Webwise System may have a real problem; how do they stop looping if the cookie option is no longer being used to test for it?

I was wondering whether this could be the cause of many reports of Routers re-syncing & more rst commands in the past couple of weeks?
Old 18-06-2008, 10:01   #9228
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
very worrying development in sweden

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../06/17/0126243

sweden are looking for sweeping power to tap any communications that crosses their border (E-mail, fax, telephone, web, SMS, etc. 24/7) WITHOUT A WARRANT
It seems strange there is nothing on the RELAKKS site about this, since they are based in Sweden you would think they would be aware of it!

Quote:
Legal
RELAKKS is a company incorporated in Sweden. The service is basically a Swedish broadband subscription offered over the Internet. This means that the legal framework mainly consists of the The Electronic Communications Act 2003 389.

What will this mean if:
· Swedish authorities or,
· Other organization or individuals demands access to information protected by RELAKKS?

RELAKKS Safe Surf enjoys the strongest legal protection possible under Swedish Law because of the service type (pre-paid flat-rate service). This means that RELAKKS do not have to keep an ordinary customer database (to be able handle transactions etc.). This is of importance if forced to hand over information.

If Swedish authorities can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they have a case for demanding subscription information from RELAKKS (they have to be of the opinion that if convicted the user will be imprisoned – fined not enough). .

RELAKKS then have to hand over the subscription information entered by you (but that’s all). RELAKKS do not store any subscribtion information about you except what you entered yourself when signing up for the RELAKKS Safe Surf service.

For Swedish authorities to force RELAKKS to hand over “traffic data” including your RELAKKS IP at a specific point in time, they will have to prove a case with the minimum sentence of two years imprisonment.

Regarding inquires from other parties than Swedish authorities RELAKKS will never hand over any kind of information.

The combination Swedish high-tech encryption and the strongest legal protection give you true access to Internet, safer and speedier then ever before.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:08   #9229
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post

What Really happens when a Browser receives a 307 relocate request & the relocated Site is blocked either in the Hosts File or a Firewall?

Does the Browser repeat the request for the Original WebSite or retry on the 307 relocate, if it is the Original Website then the Webwise System may have a real problem; how do they stop looping if the cookie option is no longer being used to test for it?

I was wondering whether this could be the cause of many reports of Routers re-syncing & more rst commands in the past couple of weeks?

if you are on about home routers, look at http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../06/07/1727240
peter
Old 18-06-2008, 10:19   #9230
jtechs
Inactive

jtechs is on a distinguished roadjtechs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Well, yes, possibly. Perhaps the more curious admins might. It's not a way to reach a huge audience, but we may a few dozen people interested that way.
what about btweblies.com ?? I was bored so I made a site. nothing really.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:37   #9231
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
if you are on about home routers, look at http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../06/07/1727240
peter
Not really, for instance my ADSL Router does not crash, it just re-syncs for a connection every so often more & more over the last couple of weeks.

The only change on reconnection is a new WWW IP address.

I've been using the beta SP3 for months & this problem did not start until a couple of weeks ago.

This is why I asked about details of how a Web Browser handles aborted 307 requests?
Old 18-06-2008, 10:41   #9232
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Brown seems to either not understand civilian liberties or chooses to not understand.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...n_ippr_speech/
Old 18-06-2008, 11:36   #9233
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post

If you block webwise.net etc in your host file so that it points to 127.0.0.1 then the redirect will try and access that and it will end there. Depending on your browser you will either get a message that the page is not available or a blank page. Effectively it will stop your browsing stone dead, you will go nowhere, it will not retry. You will get a similar effect if you try blocking in your software firewall.

It has nothing to do with routers resynching though, they will be doing this because you have a noisy line or whatever. Phorm hopefully has no way of resetting your router...
Old 18-06-2008, 11:47   #9234
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Phorm Contingency Plan

Right Guys

Time to set in motion a real plan to aid people if Phorm gets rolled out.

I propose that a webpage is created to cover the fundamentals of dealing with contracts; OFT; etc, and a guide to get out of of contracts, including reimbursement of advance payments.

Who is with me on this?
Old 18-06-2008, 11:55   #9235
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Phorm Contingency Plan

Right Guys

Time to set in motion a real plan to aid people if Phorm gets rolled out.

I propose that a webpage is created to cover the fundamentals of dealing with contracts; OFT; etc, and a guide to get out of of contracts, including reimbursement of advance payments.

Who is with me on this?
sounds like a good idea, bt's main arguement with me at the moment is they do not see the change to the privacy clause as a material change so not reason to break the contract, if we can get a legal opinion on that it would be a good start

I am trying to get exact wording changes out of BT but they are resisting at the moment which leads me to suspect they are still rewording or they have something to hide as there may be more changes elsewhere in the contract we have not noticed yet

does anyone have a full copy of the T's and C's of last year they can PM me as i have access to software that does a nice document compare

peter
Old 18-06-2008, 12:08   #9236
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Quote:
sounds like a good idea, bt's main arguement with me at the moment is they do not see the change to the privacy clause as a material change so not reason to break the contract, if we can get a legal opinion on that it would be a good start

I am trying to get exact wording changes out of BT but they are resisting at the moment which leads me to suspect they are still rewording or they have something to hide as there may be more changes elsewhere in the contract we have not noticed yet

does anyone have a full copy of the T's and C's of last year they can PM me as i have access to software that does a nice document compare

peter
Nevermind T&Cs

You are protected by Consumer Statutory Rights. The indepth details can be found on (and linked from) the OFT Website.

In a Nutshell, Companies like BT must ensure that Contracts do not contain unfair clauses. It should be noted that an unfair clause is determined by the Customer, and ratified (in most cases) by the OFT - rendering BT powerless, ie they cannot claim that you feel the contract is not fair, contrary to your own feelings.

In cases like this, your Consumer Statutory Rights take precedence over ANY contract, therefore you will have the right to leave without penalty. Also, Companies like BT will then face Punitive action.

You should note, T&Cs ARE NOT THE CONTRACT!!!
Old 18-06-2008, 13:24   #9237
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by davews View Post
If you block webwise.net etc in your host file so that it points to 127.0.0.1 then the redirect will try and access that and it will end there. {snip}..
What about if they use an IP block that doesn't have reverse lookup configured in the dns? That wouldn't get caught by your hosts file unless you did it by IP address.
Old 18-06-2008, 14:06   #9238
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Hot news in El Reg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...horm_meetings/
Old 18-06-2008, 14:19   #9239
SelfProtection
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
What about if they use an IP block that doesn't have reverse lookup configured in the dns? That wouldn't get caught by your hosts file unless you did it by IP address.
That's correct the hosts file can be bypassed by using the Real IP address & my router is not being reset the line sync drops, particularly when I visit the BT Forum to view the posts & my router logs the error and reconnects.

My line is in no way noisy it is above 4000/400 & there is nothing else connected to the line.
Old 18-06-2008, 14:34   #9240
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
Bootnote from that article;

"
We tried to obtain an interview today with Andrew Knight via a direct email approach. A Home Office press officer called soon after to say that "I'm not impressed by that... you [El Reg] do not do that, you come through us. If you do you will not get any response [at all to your queries]".
We asked if it was Home office policy to threaten journalists with excommunication if they try talking to senior civil servants. "No," she said. "It's just the way it is.""

Which part of "Civil", and "servant" doesn't she understand?

I pay her wages, I want her fired.
Closed Thread