Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2012, 18:32   #886
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes in the article above and here
Cheers!

Note to self-read widely available information before asking silly questions!
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2012, 19:00   #887
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
What I meant was that if someone is interested in watching a show then it would be on their WL already..
Not really. They should have it Series Linked. WLs are for things like specific genres of film, or specific actors. 99% of my recordings are done by SLs.
Quote:
..and as this channel only shows old shows this shouldn't mean any extra work fot the user.
Well yes. If you want to go to the trouble of setting up a WL rather than a SL
Old 22-05-2012, 19:16   #888
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
WLs are for things like specific genres of film, or specific actors. 99% of my recordings are done by SLs.
You can't set a SL for shows that aren't on the EPG yet, i.e. new shows that aren't due to air until several months in the future. For me, that is the massive draw of Whishlists, but I also use them for the things you mention as well.
Old 22-05-2012, 19:40   #889
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You can't set a SL for shows that aren't on the EPG yet..
True. But this discussion is about repeats of Channel 4 shows

Quote:
... i.e. new shows that aren't due to air until several months in the future. For me, that is the massive draw of Whishlists...
Absolutely
Old 22-05-2012, 20:04   #890
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes in the article above and here
Excellent news.
Old 22-05-2012, 20:15   #891
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I can't honestly see me having much use for 4 seven. It seems as though they're basically going to fill it full of the preceding week's most popular shows from across it's channel range. I would have preferred they stuck with their current channel line up but cut out all the dross. Given that they have the ability to drive buzz on social media, for example by suggesting hashtags on some programmes, I reckon we'll find the line up entirely predictable, and probably inclusive of those that attract the highest advertising revenues.
Old 22-05-2012, 21:29   #892
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not really. They should have it Series Linked. WLs are for things like specific genres of film, or specific actors. 99% of my recordings are done by SLs.

Well yes. If you want to go to the trouble of setting up a WL rather than a SL
Sorry, I have to be honest and say I don't understand your logic.

As a previous user of Tivo, if there is a show that I know I want to watch and that has already aired (and the whole point of this channel is to rerun previously shown shows) then I would set a WL that would ensure that Tivo captures that show.
Old 22-05-2012, 22:48   #893
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
Sorry, I have to be honest and say I don't understand your logic.

As a previous user of Tivo, if there is a show that I know I want to watch and that has already aired (and the whole point of this channel is to rerun previously shown shows) then I would set a WL that would ensure that Tivo captures that show.
I think Carl has a point. In the scenario you've laid out you're going to have less than a week to discover that something you fancy has been on, and then set a wishlist for it. Unless what is on this new channel differs significantly from what's available on 4 od then seriously, what's the point?
Old 22-05-2012, 23:18   #894
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I think Carl has a point. In the scenario you've laid out you're going to have less than a week to discover that something you fancy has been on, and then set a wishlist for it. Unless what is on this new channel differs significantly from what's available on 4 od then seriously, what's the point?
Not everyone has 4oD.

To answer an earlier point, TiVo will cope fine with the schedule not being published two weeks in advance. It's normal for some channels to not publish the full two weeks.
Old 22-05-2012, 23:27   #895
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
True. But this discussion is about repeats of Channel 4 shows

Must pay more attention!
Old 23-05-2012, 00:08   #896
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

Al Jazeera's push into French sports broadcasting is getting underway. Their new channel bein Sport HD1 is now testing in the clear on 13 east with both french and english audio available. Be interesting to see if the French market is enough for them for now, or if they will make a play for a Premier league package.

bein Sport HD1 are broadcasting the Catalan Dragons v Wigan Warriors Superleague game in Montpelier on 9th June. We should see, at least, highlights of that on Sky Sports.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:41   #897
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Not everyone has 4oD.

To answer an earlier point, TiVo will cope fine with the schedule not being published two weeks in advance. It's normal for some channels to not publish the full two weeks.
If you have wishlists, ie. TiVo, then you have 7 day catch up, don't you?
Old 23-05-2012, 07:53   #898
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My point wasn't that you set up a wishlist instead of a series link. My point was that for the shows that Tivo users really wanted to watch, they would already have set up a wishlist.

Edit: I read you post above re 7 day catch up and see your point. I thought this channel would rerun whole series of old shows (where WL would work) but it seems like this is just a catch up of episodes channel for which I see your and Carls point re WL.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:34   #899
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Not everyone has 4oD.
Everyone who has VMTV has 4OD. Everyone who has a computer has 4OD

Quote:
To answer an earlier point, TiVo will cope fine with the schedule not being published two weeks in advance.
I'm sure it will. That wasn't my point

Quote:
It's normal for some channels to not publish the full two weeks.
No. I don't think so. Well, I've never seen any that don't. (Not that I look at every channel on the EPG
Old 23-05-2012, 08:41   #900
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If you have wishlists, ie. TiVo, then you have 7 day catch up, don't you?
Yes, but think of those poor unfortunates who have satellite or terrestrial.
Closed Thread