Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The UFC thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The UFC thread.

Old 29-12-2008, 15:24   #76
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Re: The UFC thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
Will be a good one this weekend.

Forrest Griffin Vs. Rashad Evans = Evans win I think

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir = Mir with easy win I’m sure.

Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson = Be a very close fight and cannot pick.

Looking forward to this one as much as I want griffin to win I don’t think he will.
Was not far off being a fullhouse!!
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 09:56   #77
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Just been watching UFC 94. Some awesome fights. Gorges St Pierre destroyed BJ Penn in 4 - Penn looked a bit flabby I must say but all credit to him for surviving the full 4 rounds before it was stopped.

Best of the rest was Lyoto Machida who made the previously unbeaten Thiago Silva look like a novice. Machida was as awesome in defence as he was in attack, avoiding any serious strikes whilst picking off Silva at ease.

Jon Jones beat Stephan Bonnar well - at 21 he looks an awesome prospect.

Karo Parisyan beat Dong Hyun Kim on a split decision which I felt should have gone the other way.

All in all a great show.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20   #78
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

lb for lb no one will be able to beat Gorges St Pierre. He in great form, even Matt Hughes in his prime would not be able to beat him.

Totally dominated Penn.
Old 12-07-2009, 18:42   #79
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Anyone else see Lesnar destroy Mir last night? It's going to take a bullet to stop Brock now. Wonder if Mir will give pro wrestlers the respect they deserve now, after getting his buttocks handed to him on a plate by the former WWE champion.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 10:49   #80
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Anyone else see Lesnar destroy Mir last night? It's going to take a bullet to stop Brock now. Wonder if Mir will give pro wrestlers the respect they deserve now, after getting his buttocks handed to him on a plate by the former WWE champion.
Russ I have to admit being a big BJJ fan and I was a wrestler hater, the tide is turning and wrestlering is getting respect it deserves.
Very good fight by Broc I cannot see anyone taking if out only Cain Velasquez has a chance IMO

Did you see the Bisping fight?
Old 13-07-2009, 10:54   #81
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I didn't watch any of the rest of it - I'm not so much a UFC fan as a 'Lesnar fan'. After hearing UFC and its fans slagging off wrestling I'm enjoying watching Brock destroy everyone in his path. I enjoyed his 'heel' promo at the end, that was some of his WWE days showing through, although his grovelling apology after slagging off the show's sponsor was pretty funny

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 11:09   #82
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Anyone else see Lesnar destroy Mir last night?
No - since Setanta went belly up...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:11   #83
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
I didn't watch any of the rest of it - I'm not so much a UFC fan as a 'Lesnar fan'. After hearing UFC and its fans slagging off wrestling I'm enjoying watching Brock destroy everyone in his path. I enjoyed his 'heel' promo at the end, that was some of his WWE days showing through, although his grovelling apology after slagging off the show's sponsor was pretty funny
Slagging of the sponsor was not a sensible move.

I have to ask Russ what is it that you don’t like about The UFC? Compared to (Pantomime IMO) wreserling?
Old 13-07-2009, 11:24   #84
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

UFC matches can be boring - the 1st round of Lesner/Mir is a good example. In other matches, get a good shot in early and the fight is over. If I watch something like that I want to be entertained too. In pro-wrestling you're getting that.

In 99% of UFC matches, with the build-up there's always 'trash talk' between the fighters but as the match starts they touch gloves, and hug afterwards. OK that's sportsmanship and I can respect that but it makes all the trash-talk mean nothing. I want emotional attachment to a UFC fight. I want to know that the 2 guys genuinely hate each other.

I've never seen that in a UFC match - except in Lesnar/Mir. OK I don't think Lesnar hates mir but he hated the fact that Mir won their first encounter. Lesnar admits to being a bad loser. In all the build-up mir BS'd about all these technical moves that Brock couldn't do, even going as far as saying once he beats him he'll explain the move to him after the match.

Well Mir was right, Lesnar didn't do anything technical, he just held him down and pounded the brown stuff out of him.

OK in WWE the guys don't (usually) really hate each other but if they're professional enough they'll make you think they do. There's a reason why these 2 guys are fighting, it's not just something thrown together to make money. The crowd have a reason to pay to be there. Again, there's an emotional attachment. There might be an element to it in UFC matches but nowhere near the same level as in pro-wrestling.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 11:36   #85
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I think that Lesnar needs to remember he doesn't need to do that heel/face stuff any more. WWE shouldn't come into this, its totally different. WWE = theatre, UFC = sport. Its like saying Sylvester Stallone should be a good goalkeeper. Lesnar is an accomplished collegiate wrestler (which IS a sport, unlike pro wrestling).

I not sure the win for Lesnar was that good for the UFC. When Mir beat him the first time it was with a brilliant mixture of experience and technique. Lesnar just proved that's useless when you weigh close to 20st, just lie on them so they can't breath or move and then punch them in the face. Eventually the ref will stop the match. I suppose it was good to watch though which is the point. I loved at the start of the second round when Mir was smiling but parts of his face were in different places

Gutted about Bisping, but I think we all saw this coming. We hoped his cockiness was all for show and then when he needed to he'd be a professional. During TUF9 I had my doubts and was vindicated. He just didn't turn up for the fight. He was seriously knocked-out though. I just hope it makes him knuckle down. I know there's an excellent fighter in there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anderson Silva v Forrest Griffin and Couture matches, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be any really good matches unless they are TBA.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:45   #86
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
I think that Lesnar needs to remember he doesn't need to do that heel/face stuff any more. WWE shouldn't come into this, its totally different. WWE = theatre, UFC = sport. Its like saying Sylvester Stallone should be a good goalkeeper. Lesnar is an accomplished collegiate wrestler (which IS a sport, unlike pro wrestling).

I not sure the win for Lesnar was that good for the UFC. When Mir beat him the first time it was with a brilliant mixture of experience and technique. Lesnar just proved that's useless when you weigh close to 20st, just lie on them so they can't breath or move and then punch them in the face. Eventually the ref will stop the match. I suppose it was good to watch though which is the point. I loved at the start of the second round when Mir was smiling but parts of his face were in different places

Gutted about Bisping, but I think we all saw this coming. We hoped his cockiness was all for show and then when he needed to he'd be a professional. During TUF9 I had my doubts and was vindicated. He just didn't turn up for the fight. He was seriously knocked-out though. I just hope it makes him knuckle down. I know there's an excellent fighter in there.

I'm looking forward to seeing Anderson Silva v Forrest Griffin and Couture matches, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be any really good matches unless they are TBA.
Fair point it’s like Sanchez fighting Randy it would never happen.

As for Bisping did you hear his corner warning him he will get right hook if he keeps dodging right, he shouted ‘alright calm down’
No symphony from me back to UKMMA for him. OK That’s a little unfair but who would you put him against now? .

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

@Russ

How can you say The UFC is boring compared to wresering? I guess as its real you don’t get the theatre of entertainment.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:49   #87
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
I agree he shouldn't have to do it - and in the Couture match he was totally different because he treated Brock with respect and as a professional. Take sly digs and unnecessary potshots at Lesnar and you're going to have one extremely p'd off man in the ring. Couture put over Brock's abilities yet still said he was going to beat him - that's how pros do it. But Mir took it to a different level and Lesnar responded to it.

In any case his 'heel' promo after the fight was an excellent piece of business. UFC fans now want to see someone beat him even more. That's one of the big selling points of WWE events. It might not be the best PR exercise but from a ticket-selling point of view it will do wonders for UFC. Chris Eubank and Naseem Hamed did something similar in the 90s, they might not have been popular but the buy-rates hit the roof because people wanted to see someone knock them down.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
How can you say The UFC is boring compared to wresering? I guess as its real you don’t get the theatre of entertainment.
I didn't say it's boring - but it CAN be boring. Imagine you pay £50 for a ringside seat and all matches end with a knockout in the first round, you're going to feel a bit short-changed. OK it's unlikely to happen but there's no guarantee you're going to be entertained. I also think WWE guys are mentally and physically tougher than UFC fighters but that's a different story I guess.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 11:53   #88
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Was the Bisping punch out of order?

IMO thats what The UFC is all about, ok the ref was slow but hendo did no wrong IMO
Old 13-07-2009, 11:54   #89
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Lesnar v Fedor - and I think we all know that has to happen

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-07-2009, 12:03   #90
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Lesnar v Fedor - and I think we all know that has to happen
Would be great but never happen for as long as Lesnar is in The UFC. Fior some reason Dana White is not intrested in Fedor, and Fedor is not intrested in the UFC.