Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 22:58   #856
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Article 8 cannot have anything to do with Article 50 and Brexit negotiations or at least I cannot connect the "respect for family and private life, home and correspondence" to be any part of them.

There is a point about Article 50 (2)
Quote:
A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2018, 08:06   #857
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

James O'Brien making a good but slightly mischievous point:

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status...82499246178304

Quote:
Two simple, rhetorical questions with which to pull down the pants of Brexiters bleating ignorantly about WTO rules:
Who elected the people who run it?
When did we vote to join it?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:31   #858
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Article 8 cannot have anything to do with Article 50 and Brexit negotiations or at least I cannot connect the "respect for family and private life, home and correspondence" to be any part of them.

There is a point about Article 50 (2)
For what my opinion is worth, the two join because “future relationship” has Article 8 context.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 08-08-2018, 13:24   #859
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
James O'Brien making a good but slightly mischievous point:

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status...82499246178304
The simple answer is that the electorate voted to leave. That means we either leave with a deal with the EU which does not impact on our ability to forge new trade deals or we leave under WTO rules. That's how it works. No point in nit-picking, we just have to get on and do it.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I read in a newspaper analysis today(I forget which) something that absolutely chimed with me. It was in relation to the EU breaking Article 8 (and indeed Article 50) by not negotiating with us to bring about a decent agreement.

The article highlighted the difference between the UK which has a flexible unwritten constitution and the rest of the EU that are rules based in their Treaty documents and thus totally inflexible. Aka we look alike but don't think alike.

Put that into the mix with the Guvmin's total bodge job, a Canada style deal is something we should jump at just to get the job done. Except that they want to tie up the £39 billion first and May now cannot give them that scot free and survive.

But the political situation here is so volatile, and the Chequers deal must not be allowed to survive, that it's either going to be a fudge or a political change and a second referendum.
What exactly do you perceive to be wrong with the Chequers deal, or are you just relying on the reaction of the Brexiteers?

The only thing about it that bothers me is the 'common rulebook' because I can't make out if that would only apply to goods to and from the EU or whether it would apply to all trade that we do with other countries as well.

If the former, this is just like any comprehensive trade deal we might enter into with any country. If the latter, it is unacceptable.
Old 08-08-2018, 14:04   #860
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The simple answer is that the electorate voted to leave. That means we either leave with a deal with the EU which does not impact on our ability to forge new trade deals or we leave under WTO rules. That's how it works. No point in nit-picking, we just have to get on and do it
OB, you choose to ignore the point made Let me restate it: some people voted Leave because the EU was "undemocratic" and they did not want to have laws/rules imposed by a foreign agency.

The WTO conforms to the same criteria so you must have an objection to following rules made by a foreign, undemocratic institution, right?

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

I know that some will not read this on principle but if you do, you will be glad you did. This is a Twitter thread from a former Tory discussing why some of the "facts" that formed the basis of the Leave campaign are just plainly wrong and more importantly why the promised low tax, free-market Brexit promised land is a simple con trick:

Adam, let me present you with some comparative economics, and then you tell me whether ANY Tory (and I was one) has your interests at heart. I'm going to compare the UK with our partners in Europe. Firstly, we WERE the fifth largest world economy. Remember that.

You may still not wish to change your opinion but at least you would be able to explain to us why this analysis is wrong.
Old 08-08-2018, 14:39   #861
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Looks to me like just another 'has been' spouting stuff on a social message board.

Incidentally, it's all old news anyway
Old 08-08-2018, 16:01   #862
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
OB, you choose to ignore the point made Let me restate it: some people voted Leave because the EU was "undemocratic" and they did not want to have laws/rules imposed by a foreign agency.

The WTO conforms to the same criteria so you must have an objection to following rules made by a foreign, undemocratic institution, right?

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

I know that some will not read this on principle but if you do, you will be glad you did. This is a Twitter thread from a former Tory discussing why some of the "facts" that formed the basis of the Leave campaign are just plainly wrong and more importantly why the promised low tax, free-market Brexit promised land is a simple con trick:

Adam, let me present you with some comparative economics, and then you tell me whether ANY Tory (and I was one) has your interests at heart. I'm going to compare the UK with our partners in Europe. Firstly, we WERE the fifth largest world economy. Remember that.

You may still not wish to change your opinion but at least you would be able to explain to us why this analysis is wrong.
The WTO rules apply to trade only the cannot have any effect on laws unlike the EU.

The UK has been a member of the WTO since its inception in 1995 and were members of its predecessor GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) formed in 1947.
Old 08-08-2018, 16:45   #863
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The WTO rules apply to trade only the cannot have any effect on laws unlike the EU.

The UK has been a member of the WTO since its inception in 1995 and were members of its predecessor GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) formed in 1947.
Exactly. He's just being perverse.
Old 08-08-2018, 16:52   #864
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Exactly. He's just being perverse.
Perverse? Not really, I am pointing out the inconsistency in some of the arguments used to Leave. It is true that some did not like having to follow certain rules made in Brussels but would be happy to follow rules, on trade, made in Geneva.

What is frightening is how so many people can ignore the complexity and lack of preparedness of a No Deal scenario and, actually want it to happen.
Old 08-08-2018, 17:12   #865
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Perverse? Not really, I am pointing out the inconsistency in some of the arguments used to Leave. It is true that some did not like having to follow certain rules made in Brussels but would be happy to follow rules, on trade, made in Geneva.

What is frightening is how so many people can ignore the complexity and lack of preparedness of a No Deal scenario and, actually want it to happen.
You cannot surely compare the over-bureaucratic, over-codified rules of the EU with the straight forward rules of WTO! That's what is perverse.

My position is that we should accept Theresa May's 'common rulebook' idea for trading with the EU, but not for trading with the rest of the world. That's in the same way that we might agree on different 'common rulebooks' for each country that we deal with. Enforcement of such rules in relation to EU trade should be similar to the way rules are enforced for trade deals with other countries.

All trade deals have agreed positions on specifications, tariffs, safety, etc, and that's what I mean by a 'common rulebook'.
Old 08-08-2018, 17:45   #866
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The simple answer is that the electorate voted to leave. That means we either leave with a deal with the EU which does not impact on our ability to forge new trade deals or we leave under WTO rules. That's how it works. No point in nit-picking, we just have to get on and do it.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

What exactly do you perceive to be wrong with the Chequers deal, or are you just relying on the reaction of the Brexiteers?

The only thing about it that bothers me is the 'common rulebook' because I can't make out if that would only apply to goods to and from the EU or whether it would apply to all trade that we do with other countries as well.

If the former, this is just like any comprehensive trade deal we might enter into with any country. If the latter, it is unacceptable.
I accept the analysis that we would be too closely tied as perpetual rule-takers and that the Brussels "I'm not allowed to say what" would continue then turning the screw. I also know that the customs plan won't fly because of the Commission's intransigence.

If we leave with a deal, it won't be bespoke unless they cave in, so Canada's deal, which is on offer as I understand matters, will have to do.

Old 08-08-2018, 18:58   #867
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I accept the analysis that we would be too closely tied as perpetual rule-takers and that the Brussels "I'm not allowed to say what" would continue then turning the screw.

I also know that the customs plan won't fly because of the Commission's intransigence.

If we leave with a deal, it won't be bespoke unless they cave in, so Canada's deal, which is on offer as I understand matters, will have to do.
You don't know that, you only know what the EU's argument is. However, being a negotiation, they may well back down, particularly if the UK Government can figure out a way to persuade them.
Old 08-08-2018, 19:40   #868
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
You cannot surely compare the over-bureaucratic, over-codified rules of the EU with the straight forward rules of WTO! That's what is perverse.

My position is that we should accept Theresa May's 'common rulebook' idea for trading with the EU, but not for trading with the rest of the world. That's in the same way that we might agree on different 'common rulebooks' for each country that we deal with. Enforcement of such rules in relation to EU trade should be similar to the way rules are enforced for trade deals with other countries.

All trade deals have agreed positions on specifications, tariffs, safety, etc, and that's what I mean by a 'common rulebook'.
You obviously didn’t read my earlier post...

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post35958246
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-08-2018, 19:41   #869
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
You don't know that, you only know what the EU's argument is. However, being a negotiation, they may well back down, particularly if the UK Government can figure out a way to persuade them.
I can't argue with the first part of what you say above. But of one thing I, and most of the nation are certain, this government could figure its way out of a paper bag. If you can argue with that, your credibility is shot.

Old 08-08-2018, 23:32   #870
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You obviously didn’t read my earlier post...

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post35958246
I think that post is proving a bit of an inconvenient truth.
Closed Thread