Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:02   #8611
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Does anyone know if the PIA has been completed yet?
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10   #8612
Paul Delaney

1,025.00 Jeezus!

And still no concrete trial date from BT...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:17   #8613
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Does anyone know if the PIA has been completed yet?
I spoke to Simon Davies on the phone this morning and he is hoping to have it finished by Friday, he is going to call me on Saturday and let me know any further details.

Alexander Hanff
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23   #8614
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaignerssuck View Post
Why dns servers wrong? DNS is protocol - Domain Name System.

Nothing wrong with Domain Name System servers.

This campaign is a joke. How many of you actually understand the technology and see how Phorm is actually taking good steps to stop a copy of everything you do being stored.

Added my voice to the survey.
Nice try little troll, but you'll have to do better than that

You see, if you actually worked in the industry you'd know why I said that (as opposed to just looking it up on an acronym site). (Liked the MAC Code comment btw jelv )

Now go out and get a real job you phorm-tard.
.BBW (ex-deputy hostmaster of a major ISP, ex-international backbone engineer, ex-network designer). My Current hat: Network Security Consultant. Your Current Hat:Ass
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30   #8615
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...t-spreads.html
"...
Anti-phorm protesters will be at BT's AGM next month, and will also be demanding police intervention over Phorm's technology trials with BT (although I imagine it highly unlikely that will result in action simply because of the complexity of the legal issues and an under-resourced police force).

This battle is proving to be another demonstration of just how hard a small but motivated group of campaigners can hit major corporates when they feel their privacy has been breached. BT's handling of protesters is going to be a tipping point for the battle, so keep an eye on the news on July 16th."
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30   #8616
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

The campaign is such a joke that Phorm's shares are at rock bottom and the company's share capital is down almost $700 million USD in the last 4 months. He might find that funny, but I am sure Kent doesn't, and I would be willing to bet his investors don't either; furthermore, I was given some information which suggests his staff are not laughing either and that the only reason many of them are still at Phorm is because they are praying their share options will be worth something.

So no, I don't think many people are laughing at our "joke" campaign, at least not on Phorm's side of the fence.

Alexander Hanff
Old 11-06-2008, 12:41   #8617
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

on a side note, I just got an email from "BT email support".

after a few initial checks I thought the email might have been genuine, but it appears it may not be!

the www.btyahoo.com/verify url in the email is a link and actually points to... email.planning-inc.co.uk

just thought I would warn any BT customers!

copy/paste below...

If this email does not display properly, please click here

Urgent - BT is making some changes to its email service. Emails you send from alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses may be blocked
Dear Customer,
We're upgrading the security of your BT Yahoo! Mail account to help prevent identity fraud and spam.
These enhancements will help protect you from 'spoofing' - when people use alternate addresses to disguise an email's real sender, possibly to commit fraud.
Making the improvements work
For the security improvements to work, we need you to take a few minutes now to verify each of the alternate email addresses you use in BT Yahoo! Mail. This will confirm that these email addresses are genuine. If you don't verify your alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses, you may get an Error 553 message and have difficulty sending emails.
Please verify addresses now to avoid blocking of your outgoing emails.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions at www.btyahoo.com/verify. You won't be asked for any personal information, but you'll need to log in to your account to make the changes.
We're committed to helping you get the most from your award-winning BT Yahoo! Mail. The changes we've made will help reduce spam on the network and improve your enjoyment of the service. We hope this doesn't cause any inconvenience and appreciate your co-operation.
Kind regards,
BT Total Broadband team
Please note that this is an automatically generated email for your information only. Unfortunately we cannot respond to 'replies' to this address.
To ensure future emails from BT are delivered to your inbox and not treated as spam, please add emailsupport@btcomms.com to your address book.
This email was sent to your email address because you subscribe to BT service.

Subscribe to BT emails | Log in to BT | Contact us | Privacy policy

British Telecommunications plc. Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England No. 1800000.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44   #8618
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
The poll for this thread has reached the magical 1,000 voters

958 yes voters = 95.80%
42 no idiots = 4.20%

prior to the 1,000 vote mark everytime we saw a new voter adding their mark to the yes (the ethical vote) the % scale didn't seem to shift to much (obviously). Whenever an idiot voted 'no' we would see the % indicator fluctuate on the right side of the decimal point and this was disappointing to see.

In order to see a really good result that will please the yes voters (the sensible vote) we would like to see the percentage tend towards 100% i.e. 99.XX% BUT did you know that even if no more idiots or Phormscumettes voted 'no' we would still need ten times as many 'yes' votes (the correct vote)..

9,958 'Yes' voters (give yourself a pat on the back for making the right choice) and 42 'No' (*******s) would still only give a 99.58% to the stamp out Phorm poll.

With 100,000 voters

99,958 'Yes' (heros)
42 'No' (villains)

Still only gives us 99.96% (Good Guys) vs 0.04% (Tw~ts)

etc etc You get the idea

Keep up the good votes!
47 now, what happened today to make them finally vote here!

so to you and i look forword to your POV

sorry for not welcomeing the 42-46 personally ,But your voting far to quickly to keep up , are you all from the same block of IPs by any chance (Mods can check if they like)

its a shame we cant seem to match these Pro-Interception for profit Advocate voters here, perhaps the other Anonymous readers would like to also make the time to register and add their vote to the total before it closes.....

[edit]
Doh! just read Micks #8606 to late as its closed.... shame .

still a 1000 votes is perfect for an industry standard extrapolation...
Old 11-06-2008, 13:20   #8619
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post

after a few initial checks I thought the email might have been genuine, but it appears it may not be!

the www.btyahoo.com/verify url in the email is a link and actually points to... email.planning-inc.co.uk

copy/paste below...

Urgent - BT is making some changes to its email service. Emails you send from alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses may be blocked
Dear Customer,
We're upgrading the security of your BT Yahoo! Mail account to help prevent identity fraud and spam.
These enhancements will help protect you from 'spoofing' - when people use alternate addresses to disguise an email's real sender, possibly to commit fraud.
For the security improvements to work, we need you to take a few minutes now to verify each of the alternate email addresses you use in BT Yahoo! Mail. This will confirm that these email addresses are genuine. If you don't verify your alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses, you may get an Error 553 message and have difficulty sending emails.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions at www.btyahoo.com/verify. You won't be asked for any personal information, but you'll need to log in to your account to make the changes.
We're committed to helping you get the most from your award-winning BT Yahoo! Mail. The changes we've made will help reduce spam on the network and improve your enjoyment of the service. We hope this doesn't cause any inconvenience and appreciate your co-operation.
Kind regards,
BT Total Broadband team
Please note that this is an automatically generated email for your information only. Unfortunately we cannot respond to 'replies' to this address.
To ensure future emails from BT are delivered to your inbox and not treated as spam, please add emailsupport@btcomms.com to your address book.

British Telecommunications plc. Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
I think the current consensus on the support newsgroup is that these emails are genuine but very very stupidly designed and extremely crass (up to BT's usual standard). The link seems to be yet another of BT's outsourced links. They really do make things difficult for themselves.

No official word from BT on this though, but that is normal. Silence seems to be their normal modus operandi at the moment although in a really big crisis you might get a couple of lines from Adam Liversage their press officer.
Old 11-06-2008, 13:42   #8620
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post

copy/paste below...

Dear Customer,

These enhancements will help protect you from 'spoofing' - when [do they mean BT/Phorm?]people use alternate addresses to disguise an email's real sender, possibly to commit fraud.

Kind regards,
BT Total Broadband team

"Urgent - BT is making some changes to its email service. Emails you send from alternate BT Yahoo! Mail addresses may be blocked
Dear Customer,
"

it does seem to be valid on the face of it, but using Urgent in any official email Notice as your very first word, does seem like an odd thing to send for such a professional company :OMG: as BT

i wonder if its something to do with more faults/company practices found with leaking Personal information contravening the DPA !, this time in the Email parts of their company wide end user system, rather than the cookies system etc.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/we...on-web-server/
"

Remote Address email.planning-inc.co.uk

Found 3 domains hosted on the same web server as email.planning-inc.co.uk (213.219.11.66).
businessopenzone.bt.com
email.planning-inc.co.uk
www.btcomms.com

A reverse IP domain check takes a domain name or IP address pointing to a web server and searches for other sites known to be hosted on that same web server. Data is gathered from search engine results, which are not guaranteed to be complete. Knowing the other web sites hosted on a web server is important from both an SEO and web filtering perspective, particularly for those on shared web hosting plans. More about this tool.
"
Old 11-06-2008, 13:48   #8621
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I think the current consensus on the support newsgroup is that these emails are genuine but very very stupidly designed and extremely crass (up to BT's usual standard). The link seems to be yet another of BT's outsourced links. They really do make things difficult for themselves.

No official word from BT on this though, but that is normal. Silence seems to be their normal modus operandi at the moment although in a really big crisis you might get a couple of lines from Adam Liversage their press officer.
I did wonder if it was outsourced which is why i edited my most to say it "may" not be genuine. but as you say, "very very stupidly designed" describes it well if it is indeed genuine. I wasn't going to click on the link to check personally.
Old 11-06-2008, 15:11   #8622
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
The campaign is such a joke that Phorm's shares are at rock bottom and the company's share capital is down almost $700 million USD in the last 4 months. He might find that funny, but I am sure Kent doesn't, and I would be willing to bet his investors don't either; furthermore, I was given some information which suggests his staff are not laughing either and that the only reason many of them are still at Phorm is because they are praying their share options will be worth something.

So no, I don't think many people are laughing at our "joke" campaign, at least not on Phorm's side of the fence.

Alexander Hanff
Alex I think that all the Phorm's shares will be werth is Toilet Paper at the end of the day.
Old 11-06-2008, 15:31   #8623
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Link to poll I did on another forum percentages about the same.http://www.filesaveas.co.uk/cgi-bin/...num=1204572420
My current vision of BT is a bunch of back slappers huddled together in a leaky inflateable with only sticking plaster and chewing gum to stop the ever increasing perforations, can't wait for sieve day .
Old 11-06-2008, 15:31   #8624
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

The last post on the phorm share says that phorm may be used on the fibre to the home trials at ebbsfleet...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/2...et-valley.html

Anyone able to cros post on thinkbroadband as I can't join there due to Marks request to not as it could conflict of interests with my moderators post..
Old 11-06-2008, 15:33   #8625
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

@tdadyslexia.

not maening to be nasty but some of your word subsitutions and spellings make me grin sometimes.
Closed Thread