Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:45   #826
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future
re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
How long are people generally getting out of their battery? OK I'm new to it so constantly playing but I've noticed it starts running quite low about 9pm (having been charged up until 7am). I'm not used to this as my old phone (albeit a Nokia with very few additional features - lasted maybe 2 or 3 days) - its the 3G 16g
If you use it a lot then the battery can drain down quite a lot but with texts , the odd bit of browsing and phone calls , i can get 3-4 days out of a full charge.

Use it a lot , apps , ipod , downloading stuff then it will drain it.

It doesnt bother me anymore , if its getting low i just charge it overnight or leave it plugged in after a sync with itunes
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52   #827
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Is bluetooth on? Brightness turned up? They can have a big effect, especially bluetooth. Also, you might want to turn off 3G if you don't get a 3G reception where you are or don't need it.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28   #828
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Also, to save battery life, it was recommended to me to come out of the app (go back to the apps page), before you press the button on the top.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 13:48   #829
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
If you've got the wireless/3G/Bluetooth on all the time I understand that it really does drain the battery quite quickly - obviously I wouldn't know that from experience as I still can't find any that have stores that have one in stock.....
OK, the bluetooth and wireless can go off until I need them - thanks Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Is bluetooth on? Brightness turned up? They can have a big effect, especially bluetooth. Also, you might want to turn off 3G if you don't get a 3G reception where you are or don't need it.
Bluetooth was on, just turned it off as I only use it with my headset when I'm in the car.

Brightness is about half, thanks Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Also, to save battery life, it was recommended to me to come out of the app (go back to the apps page), before you press the button on the top.
OK, i'll give that a go too, thanks Foreverwar

And thanks Matt-h too

I'll see how a full day goes tomorrow with all the above taken into account and report back
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 16:00   #830
matt-h
Inactive

Services: SkyHD , VM BB 60Mb
matt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant futurematt-h has a brilliant future

No worries.

In regards to brightness , mines set to auto. I also close any app ive been using before setting the set to standby ( sleep button )
matt-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:05   #831
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I send a lot of texts, use the ipod and a few apps and have to charge my battery everyday.

Most newer phones don't have the 3-4 days standby time of older phones. Simply due to all the features and hardware now.
Old 04-07-2009, 18:16   #832
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

it looks like I may be getting a second hand iPhone. I am quite happy right now

Just hope all my touch apps wirk ok on it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:45   #833
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If you've got the wireless/3G/Bluetooth on all the time I understand that it really does drain the battery quite quickly - obviously I wouldn't know that from experience as I still can't find any that have stores that have one in stock.....

You're in the Cambridge area IIRC? Try the Apple Store in the "Grand" Arcade.

The Apple Stores seem to get stock in more frequently than O2 or CPW (based upon my repeated checks of the Apple, O2, & CPW websites in the run up to my purchase).

I got my 3GS in the Cambridge Apple Store last Friday.

The Apple website updates every night at 9pm with the next day's availability at each individual store:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/iphone/availability.html

The O2 website has a stock availability page, but only gives a general overview of availability across all stores, phone, and online.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/stockupdate.html
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 19:39   #834
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Cheers Matt, if I get a chance I might give them a look tomorrow
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 22:53   #835
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

I'm off camping at the end of the month for about 5 days (weather permitting!). Are there any decent car chargers on the market or adaptors you'd recommend?

Can't even contemplate no phone for 4 days
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 00:27   #836
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I got an iSound AC adaptor from Play.com for my iPhone, works great. Here's the cheapest car adaptor one they have, comes with an AC adaptor as well anyway

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...e/Product.html
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 00:45   #837
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
I'm off camping at the end of the month for about 5 days (weather permitting!). Are there any decent car chargers on the market or adaptors you'd recommend?

Can't even contemplate no phone for 4 days
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...title&resnum=4
Old 05-07-2009, 15:49   #838
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Got one (finally) in Cambridge - thanks Matt

The O2 signal around here doesn't appear to be very good though, so I don't think I'm going to be answering/making many calls from home.

Everything else seems good so far though, just need to start getting the settings sorted out and seeing what Apps I want

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

What's the best way to access Google Mail and Calendar from the iPhone?

I've got the mail set up under the email settings so I can get to that, but it would be nice to be able to access my gMail calendar from the phone as opposed to going through Safari.

Is there a nice application that allows this, or maybe a setting in the phone that I've missed?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 16:10   #839
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
What's the best way to access Google Mail and Calendar from the iPhone?
Might not help, but have you tried the google app?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 16:25   #840
Raistlin
Inactive

Nope....is that available from the App store?

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

It is in the App Store, but it doesn't appear to do the calendar bit.....

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Got it working, information here:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=138740