Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 14:33   #8146
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

It is unclear, I never saw that list referenced anywhere else in the document so I have no idea what it is for. Badphorm are equally puzzled on this.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2008, 14:57   #8147
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Regarding that post, how easy is it to change ""careful handling" to: "special handling"

Historians will know what I mean.
Old 05-06-2008, 15:05   #8148
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Chris Williams already has the document and has referenced it in a previous article, so I presume he covered everything he regarded as news worthy already.
Alexander Hanff
Any idea which one?
Old 05-06-2008, 15:16   #8149
Sirius365
Inactive

Sirius365 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
direct URL please...?

this thread is suposed to be the definative guide to Phorm and the Phormetts (hence why i invite everyone here to read and contribute).

we really need to be filling in the direct URLs and a section of the post if its different to the original linked stories so we can decide to read on, or click and divert at the time of reading etc...
Here's a link to my del.icio.us bookmarks there's all sorts of phorm/privacy related stuff in there most of it covered here already but maybe of some use along with a fair amount of non phorm related stuff.

http://del.icio.us/sirusx
Old 05-06-2008, 15:35   #8150
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

digg: I suspect they have some kind of sandboxing going on to prevent spammers manipulating the site.

unfortunately it looks as if rapid digging emanating from one link source (say nodpi or here) incurs a penalty.

Far better to post a link to the digg article from many different sites rather than dozens here clicking the same link and then digging.

---

Further to the above just found some more suggestions:

* Mail users the link and get them to dig it via the mail link
* Locate the story from the Digg/Upcoming queue and tell people to digg it from there.
* On your page use the official "Digg This" icon.
Old 05-06-2008, 15:54   #8151
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone get in touch with hackeron (Roman G) who was involved in getting the kit installed @ BT for the trials ?
Old 05-06-2008, 15:58   #8152
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
digg: I suspect they have some kind of sandboxing going on to prevent spammers manipulating the site.

unfortunately it looks as if rapid digging emanating from one link source (say nodpi or here) incurs a penalty.

Far better to post a link to the digg article from many different sites rather than dozens here clicking the same link and then digging.

---

Further to the above just found some more suggestions:

* Mail users the link and get them to dig it via the mail link
* Locate the story from the Digg/Upcoming queue and tell people to digg it from there.
* On your page use the official "Digg This" icon.
Also be wise to not click but copy and paste in the bar.
Old 05-06-2008, 16:11   #8153
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Also be wise to not click but copy and paste in the bar.
That was how I did my digg.

Old 05-06-2008, 16:42   #8154
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff
Chris Williams already has the document and has referenced it in a previous article, so I presume he covered everything he regarded as news worthy already.
Alexander Hanff
Any idea which one?
Well I've no idea. I can't seem to find any reference to it in any phorm related articles posted since the document was leaked.
Old 05-06-2008, 17:30   #8155
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
That was a well written post over on the BT forums Mr Jones.

It will be interesting to read the responses from BT
Thank you for the kind remarks - but don't hold your breath, BT don't DO responses, especially not to customers.
the last time they answered a question on those forums about BT Webwise, was 2nd April.

I've tried to make the document accessible to those who haven't the stamina to read right through it. Emma Sanderson has accused me of having a "voracious appetite for detail" so I don't like to disappoint her.

I just wish it had some publicity outside of our own campaign. that's been very disappointing.

Who in the media HAVE ben told about this (of those who have already shown an interest in the past)? Maybe we should just do a check list to make sure we haven't missed any obvious contacts.

Guardian (Charles Arthur)?
Click?
Gadget show?
Cable News?

And official bodies - anyone referencing it in an ICO complaint?
(I've got a pending complaint so will definitely be referencing it)
Obviously Alex is adding it to his Charing X police file for the 16th July.
Old 05-06-2008, 17:34   #8156
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Florence thank you for the kind remarks - but don't hold your breath, BT don't DO responses, especially not to customers.
the last time they answered a question on those forums about BT Webwise, was 2nd April.

I've tried to make the document accessible to those who haven't the stamina to read right through it. Emma Sanderson has accused me of having a "voracious appetite for detail" so I don't like to disappoint her.

I just wish it had some publicity outside of our own campaign. that's been very disappointing.

Who in the media HAVE ben told about this (of those who have already shown an interest in the past)? Maybe we should just do a check list to make sure we haven't missed any obvious contacts.

Click?
Gadget show?
Cable News?

Hi, I have sent an e-mail to the News Editor of Web-User this afternoon with the latest news.

Dave.
Old 05-06-2008, 17:39   #8157
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I am not allowing BT to handle the shares in votes anymore I truly thought she had sold them all when the 02 shares had to be sold years ago.

I have a responsible person going this years AGM with proxy for the votes who will be asking questions. I am here to help not be attacked for owning shares that are not in my name but an 86 yr old women who just happens to be my mother. She thought sadly that the shares would be worth enough to pay for her funeral... Apparently that was the only reason she kept them few years back she could have sold them for over £1,000 today they are worth nearer £600.

There are many shareholders who due to financial reasons or health cannot make it to AGM's. That doesn't mean they are all bad and support Phorm my mother has no idea of what phorm can do she isn't IT literate and has never used a computer. She only had internet at her home 2 yrs ago when her son moved back in to help look after her with me.
This is not meant in any way as an attack on you or your mother for BT share ownership. I have also at times in my past owned them and if I owned them now would consider the activism route you are, not selling them in disgust, the market really does not care why you are selling 200 shares it would take a Fidelity to ditch BT over this for the market to sit up and take note.

I am trying (and I guess failing) to educate you in the difference between ownership and control of a legal entity, rather boring and technical but important nonetheless. Your mother as an owner of BT shares could never suffer any liability (just financial loss of the value of her shares) as a result of these actions of BT as she is just an owner. The Board, the controllers could however suffer personal loss for criminal activity, just as members of the BAA board have recently been held by the US government for questioning and the NatWest 3 went to prison.

Wiki on Corporations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation and on ownership and control http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...ip_and_control

What can happen to you if you are an officer of a company and are found to break the law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NatWest_Three
The NatWest Three, also known as the Enron Three,[1] are three British businessmen - Giles Darby, David Bermingham and Gary Mulgrew. In 2002 they were indicted in Houston, Texas on seven counts of wire fraud against their former employer Greenwich NatWest, at the time a division of National Westminster Bank.[2] After a high-profile battle in the British courts they were extradited from the United Kingdom to the United States in 2006. On November 28, 2007, they each pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud in exchange for the other charges being dropped.[3] On February 22, 2008 they were each sentenced to 37 months in prison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Sys...bian_contracts
On 19 May 2008 BAE confirmed that its CEO Mike Turner and non-executive director Nigel Rudd had been detained "for about 20 minutes" at George Bush Intercontinental and Newark airports respectively the previous week and that the DOJ had issued "a number of additional subpoenas in the US to employees of BAE Systems plc and BAE Systems Inc as part of its ongoing investigation".[118] The Times suggests that, according to Alexandra Wrage of Trace International, such "humiliating behaviour by the DOJ" is unusual toward a company that is co-operating fully.[118]
Old 05-06-2008, 17:44   #8158
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post

Click?
Gadget show?
Cable News?

I've emailed Charles Arthur (Guardian) with the various links.
I've contacted my MP (EDM signatory) asking for her to alert Don Foster
I've sent a further email to MEP's for my region (second one on this topic) (using writetothem.com )
Old 05-06-2008, 17:47   #8159
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
i think BT are still hoping to bring in webwise and that the reduced revenues will more than offset the lose or revenue of users leaving due to this spy system just not the level they hoped for .
legit questions for an AGM i believe

peter
How about the environmental impact.
283 Proxy Servers
31 Chanel Servers
314 Total servers on about .5Kwh of leccy each. That is an additional 157KWh of leccy a day for the servers, plus the additional cooling requirements in the DC etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 18:11   #8160
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
posted a comment and link to the 2006 article of alex's

peter
Closed Thread