Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 13:42   #8071
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
He speaks for me and everyone else I know who voted to leave the EU - we want to be out totally from that corrupted con job union. That's what leaving meant to me and us. So yes, in essence, he speaks for me and everyone associated to me, who also voted to leave the con job union. He does not just speak for himself.

But surely this logic of yours, also applies to Remainers then, who constantly tell us Brexiteers we got it wrong - that we voted the wrong way, no we did not get it wrong, there is nothing to get wrong, it is called democracy and we voted to leave the EU.

This is a tiresome, old pathetic argument and it needs to be laid to rest.
He can only speak for you if you want him to speak for you. But that's you, you're not 17 million people. People have differing opinions even if they voted the same way as you. Stop being entitled and believing 17+ million people all have the same opinion as you.

You're right it is a tiresome and pathetic argument, so stop repeating 17+ million people all voted for the same thing (you haven't here but I'm sure you did before), different people had different opinions of what leave or remain actually meant.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2019, 13:42   #8072
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
He speaks for me and everyone else I know who voted to leave the EU - we want to be out totally from that corrupted con job union. That's what leaving meant to me and us. So yes, in essence, he speaks for me and everyone associated to me, who also voted to leave the con job union. He does not just speak for himself.

But surely this logic of yours, also applies to Remainers then, who constantly tell us Brexiteers we got it wrong - that we voted the wrong way, no we did not get it wrong, there is nothing to get wrong, it is called democracy and we voted to leave the EU.

Ah, here we have it Ladies and Gentlemen. Mick and everyone associated to Mick, speak for the entire 37% of the Electorate who voted Leave.

Good to know. Best tell Mori and YouGov, they are wasting their money. All they need to do is to ring Mick and his mates ask them what everyone thinks.
Old 04-03-2019, 13:47   #8073
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Ah, here we have it Ladies and Gentlemen. Mick and everyone associated to Mick, speak for the entire 37% of the Electorate who voted Leave.

Good to know. Best tell Mori and YouGov, they are wasting their money. All they need to do is to ring Mick and his mates ask them what everyone thinks.
There you go again with that erroneous figure...
Old 04-03-2019, 13:51   #8074
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

The Attorney General has abandoned attempts to secure a hard time-limit or unilateral exit mechanism from the Irish backstop, The Telegraph has been told.

Ministers briefed on Geoffrey Cox's approach said those aims, which represent the central demands of Eurosceptics, are considered too "blunt" and have been rejected by the European Union.

Some Cabinet ministers are already resigned to the Prime Minister losing a second meaningful vote on her deal amid concerns that changes to the backstop secured by Mr Cox will not be sufficient to win round Brexiteers.

Now what Mrs. May?
Old 04-03-2019, 14:07   #8075
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
If you think you're going to be able to ban IBP and their like then you have another think coming.

US vs EU Food standards as a whole

https://www.ecowatch.com/13-ways-the...881850175.html
So how many of them are unsafe and only have been implemented in the EU in the previous few years to that report(2014)?

Still doesn't change the fact that chlorinated washing was banned by the EU because it does a BETTER job than their alternative. Chlorinated washing meant that bad abattoirs meant the post-wash chicken met the required standards, whereas better abattoirs didn't need such a good treatment to meet those same standards. If chlorinated washing was allowed, then the post-wash standard of the chickens from the better abattoirs would be BETTER than it is now.

An example of the UK and EU being free and easy with food welfare is in relation to animal slaughter. Kosher and Halal slaughter is held to lesser standards. Although UK law insists the religious slaughter only takes place to provide meat for those religions, how much of that is followed?

Quote:
The HFA estimates 15% of all meat slaughtered in the UK is halal compliant.
Are Muslims consuming 15% of UK meat? I assume the 100% includes Pork, so their non-pork consumption is much higher than 15%.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:11   #8076
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The Attorney General has abandoned attempts to secure a hard time-limit or unilateral exit mechanism from the Irish backstop, The Telegraph has been told.

Ministers briefed on Geoffrey Cox's approach said those aims, which represent the central demands of Eurosceptics, are considered too "blunt" and have been rejected by the European Union.

Some Cabinet ministers are already resigned to the Prime Minister losing a second meaningful vote on her deal amid concerns that changes to the backstop secured by Mr Cox will not be sufficient to win round Brexiteers.

Now what Mrs. May?
I think she'll decide it's too much like hard work and will find a way to stay in. I only hope that if we do end up staying it won't be on terms eye wateringly worse that those we have at the moment.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:14   #8077
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

"Why the UK cannot see that Brexit is utterly, utterly stupid

The British press helped condone austerity. It's now blinding us to the stupidity of Brexit."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-stupid?fbclid
Old 04-03-2019, 14:28   #8078
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So how many of them are unsafe and only have been implemented in the EU in the previous few years to that report(2014)?

Still doesn't change the fact that chlorinated washing was banned by the EU because it does a BETTER job than their alternative. Chlorinated washing meant that bad abattoirs meant the post-wash chicken met the required standards, whereas better abattoirs didn't need such a good treatment to meet those same standards. If chlorinated washing was allowed, then the post-wash standard of the chickens from the better abattoirs would be BETTER than it is now.

An example of the UK and EU being free and easy with food welfare is in relation to animal slaughter. Kosher and Halal slaughter is held to lesser standards. Although UK law insists the religious slaughter only takes place to provide meat for those religions, how much of that is followed?

Are Muslims consuming 15% of UK meat? I assume the 100% includes Pork, so their non-pork consumption is much higher than 15%.
Again, random murmurings with no actual documented evidence to support your argument

'It all comes down to money and efficiency of space. The majority of farmers do care about rearing their birds, but as profit margins can be very tight, animal welfare is sidelined to keep costs down. In the EU, cost is also important, but the law means it can’t come at the expense of the birds’ basic welfare. There is a legal minimum amount of space, lighting and ventilation for EU poultry-rearing houses.

The more space the birds have to move around in, the fewer can be housed in a single area, which in turn has an effect on production costs. As there are no laws governing this in the US, the birds can be crammed in tightly so they have limited movement, with little light or ventilation. This reduces production costs but increases the risks of disease and contamination in a flock.

Washing the chickens in a strong chlorine solution (20-50 parts per million of chlorine) provides a brash, cost-effective method of killing any microorganisms on the surface of the bird, particularly bacteria such as species of Salmonella and Campylobacter. This helps prevent the meat being contaminated with microbes during slaughter and evisceration.'

So, a country where there is no minimum standard for poultry welfare, vs the EU which has said standards and you're OK with this? and best of all Chlorine washing as it's a process doesn't have to be included on the packaging....

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I think she'll decide it's too much like hard work and will find a way to stay in. I only hope that if we do end up staying it won't be on terms eye wateringly worse that those we have at the moment.
Yup, regardless of what happens 17.4 million people in this country have collectively wasted a mountain of money.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
"Why the UK cannot see that Brexit is utterly, utterly stupid

The British press helped condone austerity. It's now blinding us to the stupidity of Brexit."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-stupid?fbclid
Won't disagree on any of that.

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 04-03-2019 at 14:22.
Old 04-03-2019, 15:01   #8079
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
We have not got close to negotiating a trade deal with the EU, that will be the interesting bit! We're just sorting out the withdrawal agreement at the moment!
A lot of people seem to be confusing the withdrawal agreement with the trade deal.

I believe that once the withdrawal agreement goes through, we will be out of the woods. Leaving the EU is the emotive part of this business.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Quote:
Raising genuine concern should not be treat as doom mongering.

Liam Fox, the same Liam Fox who can't get the forty deals he promised in time delivered?

the forty deals that nowhere near completion Liam Fox?[COLOR="Silver"]
I would urge you to watch it. He explains the position on the trade deals.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

Quote:

Are you saying everyone fully knew the consequences of voting to leave?

The consequences for the immediate future of remaining in the EU were known.
What consequences, for heaven's sake?

Dictionary definition of 'leave': depart from; go away from; withdraw from; retire from; take oneself off from; exit from; take one's leave of; pull out of; quit; be gone from; decamp from; disappear from; abandon ; vacate;.......

How many more definitions do we need? We were out of the EU before we joined, so it's not that difficult to envisage!

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
No. You said Brexiters knew what they were doing. You don't speak for 17+ million people, you speak for yourself and yourself only. I didn't really know what anything fully meant. I made a decision based on what I thought was better for myself and the country. But I don't pretend to speak for millions of people.
And yet, time and time again, you hear leave-voting people on Question Time, in the pubs and just about everywhere insist that they knew exactly what leave meant.

I suppose, as an ardent remainer, you can speak on behalf of the leavers, can you? Like hell!

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Quote:

Hear, hear! I'm beginning to wonder if the remainers fully understood the consequences of remaining.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Total crap!

You said:

Your best buddy Liam Fox said:
I was talking about the remainers!

The deal with the EU is all but done. Just need to sort out Parliament now!
Old 04-03-2019, 15:31   #8080
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A lot of people seem to be confusing the withdrawal agreement with the trade deal.

I believe that once the withdrawal agreement goes through, we will be out of the woods. Leaving the EU is the emotive part of this business.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

I would urge you to watch it. He explains the position on the trade deals.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

What consequences, for heaven's sake?

Dictionary definition of 'leave': depart from; go away from; withdraw from; retire from; take oneself off from; exit from; take one's leave of; pull out of; quit; be gone from; decamp from; disappear from; abandon ; vacate;.......

How many more definitions do we need? We were out of the EU before we joined, so it's not that difficult to envisage!

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

And yet, time and time again, you hear leave-voting people on Question Time, in the pubs and just about everywhere insist that they knew exactly what leave meant.

I suppose, as an ardent remainer, you can speak on behalf of the leavers, can you? Like hell!

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Hear, hear! I'm beginning to wonder if the remainers fully understood the consequences of remaining.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

I was talking about the remainers!

The deal with the EU is all but done. Just need to sort out Parliament now!
People on question time or down pubs still isn't 17 million is it. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone unlike you. Also have I stated I'm a remainer? And even if I am, I wouldn't call myself ardent. That's just something you've made up to suit your own agenda on the subject. Your original statement was false.
Old 04-03-2019, 15:38   #8081
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Get home from work, boot the computer up while making a coffee, sit and read the latest 4 pages of the Great Brexit Debate on here . . much more entertaining than BBC news and a damn sight less adverts than Sky News

Anyway, what I've learnt in the last 30 minutes:

1) I didn't know what I was voting for (but believed all the lies)
2) Chlorinated chicken is the same as Cold washed chicken . . but different.
3) The USA are attempting to bully us into buying all their rubbish
4) The EU are cutting back handouts to member states . . probably because they'll miss our £millions
6) Immigrants don't have a negative effect on the UK (housing/health/education/jobs)
7) May still hasn't got a clue what to do . . so let's just wave bye bye

. . . who needs a TV?
Old 04-03-2019, 15:40   #8082
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
You've missed the point...

If both methods reduce the same results (as above) , let's not add another nasty chemical into the mix.
They DON'T yield the same results. That was the very reason for the ban. The bad abattoirs could reach the final required hygiene standards by using a chlorinated wash. The ban was supposedly intended to make it so that they couldn't reach those standards and would therefore have to clean up their act instead. The safer option would've been to reduce the acceptable post-wash standard so they couldn't meet that. But either the chlorinated wash process is so good that it wasn't possible to reduce the standard or it was aimed at shutting other countries, eg the US, out of the EU.

UK POST-wash
Quote:
About 50% of the chicken sold in the UK carries the bacteria.
US PRE-wash(of whatever sort)

Quote:
In a study colleagues and I conducted involving the US commercial broiler production system, we found Campylobacter in 45% of flocks and on 93% of farms. [4] Interestingly, we also found a substantial variation in Campylobacter prevalence, with some houses and farms consistently producing Campylobacter-free or Campylobacter-positive flocks over multiple production cycles.
Old 04-03-2019, 16:04   #8083
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So, at a very generous MAXIMUM 200 people? that's a massive 0.0014367816091954023% of total leave voters, hardly a large amount.
So let me get this right. Remaine logic purports that Brexit voters didn't know what they were voting for but remainers did.

Is this the old uneducated voting rearing its head again?

I'm sure you think I and many others enjoy being told we didn't know what we were voting for.

I don't know what you think you are that gives you the right to even suggest that anyone didn't know what they were voting for. I do know what I think you are.

This is not aimed at just you but anyone else on here that puts forward this tired done to death argument.
Old 04-03-2019, 16:12   #8084
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So let me get this right. Remaine logic purports that Brexit voters didn't know what they were voting for but remainers did.

Is this the old uneducated voting rearing its head again?

I'm sure you think I and many others enjoy being told we didn't know what we were voting for.

I don't know what you think you are that gives you the right to even suggest that anyone didn't know what they were voting for. I do know what I think you are.

This is not aimed at just you but anyone else on here that puts forward this tired done to death argument.
Or maybe it's because people have come out and said it themselves.
Old 04-03-2019, 16:44   #8085
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Or maybe it's because people have come out and said it themselves.
How many? 10, 50, 100, 200?
Closed Thread