Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:43   #7981
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
“The base line” sounds quite woolly, OB.

Not like you to have an unclear definition to pin your hopes against. Is that a baseline of 200 deaths a day? Hospitals cancelling routine appointments? The working from home brigade not saving Pret?
The base line of new infections was what I was referring to, the base line being 0. As you must know, I was referring to the graphs I posted earlier.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:33   #7982
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The base line of new infections was what I was referring to, the base line being 0. As you must know, I was referring to the graphs I posted earlier.
Zero new infections?
Old 05-11-2021, 09:30   #7983
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There’s a "brave"* prediction…
I don't think anyone on this thread that has made predictions has faired well, myself definitely included.

I don't think anyone in the whole wider national debate, that has made a prediction, has faired well either....including politicians, CMO's, both flavours of Sage and the media.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:23   #7984
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Zero new infections?
I said ‘close to the base line’. It’s the base line that indicates 0 infections.

Do you deliberately misread my posts or are you speed reading?
Old 05-11-2021, 10:59   #7985
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I don't think anyone on this thread that has made predictions has faired well, myself definitely included.

I don't think anyone in the whole wider national debate, that has made a prediction, has faired well either....including politicians, CMO's, both flavours of Sage and the media.
There’s a massive difference however between wishful thinking (it’ll go away by itself), ideologically driven analysis against state intervention (the Spectator having us reaching herd immunity every month or so) at all costs, and some who are making best effort analysis without ulterior motives.

All predictions are based on underlying assumptions that are rarely communicated by the media. Nobody goes back to ascertain what went well (or what didn’t) in any given model - it just gets dismissed within the binary of being right or wrong.

One model being held up recently as a positive outcome of where we are headed has the important caveat of people voluntarily restricting their own behaviour and contacts for a further year. Again this isn’t binary “hiding under the stairs” or acting like it’s 2019 - if the vast majority of people plant themselves somewhere on the spectrum between the two that has wider economic implications for where and how much consumers spend.

One model of doom uses 2019 behaviour. Something that simply isn’t credible against a backdrop of tens of thousands of infections per day.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Quote:
I said ‘close to the base line’. It’s the base line that indicates 0 infections.

So it’s entirely subjective. It could be 1,000 cases, it could be 30,000 cases. As long it’s relatively flat.

Last edited by jfman; 05-11-2021 at 10:58.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:33   #7986
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Some good news
Quote:
Pfizer's new COVID pill cuts hospitalisation or death by 89%, trial results indicate

The results appear to surpass those seen with Merck & Co Inc's pill Molnupiravir, which was shown last month to halve the likelihood of dying or needing hospital treatment for COVID-19.

Full trial data is not yet available from either company.

Pfizer plans to submit the interim trial results to the US Food and Drug Administration as part of an emergency use application.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/med...cid=entnewsntp
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38   #7987
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Brilliant, although you would be disappointed if an antiviral designed to fight covid didn’t perform better than one designed to fight a different respiratory illness that isn’t even caused by the same class of virus. It’s remarkable that Molnupiravir works at all really, but just as well because this one is still going to be a good few months away from widespread availability.

Biomedical science is where it’s all happening right now though isn’t it. So many remarkable achievements in such a short time.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42   #7988
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Oh, I’ve read the posts, jfman. That’s where the hyperbole lurks.

I look forward to your words of wisdom when the number of infections decline near to the base line by December/January.
Quote:
Just to confirm (as I don’t want to misinterpret/misunderstand what you’re saying) - are you predicting that by December, or January at the latest, the number of new COVID infections daily will be just above zero?

(And to avoid further confusion/misinterpretation, what is "just above zero" - 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 per day?)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 05-11-2021 at 12:17.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13   #7989
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Brilliant, although you would be disappointed if an antiviral designed to fight covid didn’t perform better than one designed to fight a different respiratory illness that isn’t even caused by the same class of virus. It’s remarkable that Molnupiravir works at all really, but just as well because this one is still going to be a good few months away from widespread availability.

Biomedical science is where it’s all happening right now though isn’t it. So many remarkable achievements in such a short time.
Wonderful seeing all these great treatments and vaccines developed or in the pipeline.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:

I suspect you might find it easier going on this forum if you were a bit more specific with your predictions.
Old 05-11-2021, 13:40   #7990
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

So it’s entirely subjective. It could be 1,000 cases, it could be 30,000 cases. As long it’s relatively flat.
Look at the graphs, why don’t you?

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just to confirm (as I don’t want to misinterpret/misunderstand what you’re saying) - are you predicting that by December, or January at the latest, the number of new COVID infections daily will be just above zero?

(And to avoid further confusion/misinterpretation, what is "just above zero" - 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 per day?)
It’s not my prediction. It’s the scientists’ own modelling. I have already provided the graphs.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I suspect you might find it easier going on this forum if you were a bit more specific with your predictions.
Another one - it’s not my prediction!
Old 05-11-2021, 13:43   #7991
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Look at the graphs, why don’t you?

Another one - it’s not my prediction!
Quote:
I look forward to your words of wisdom when the number of infections decline near to the base line by December/January.
So are you aligning with the prediction or aren’t you?
Old 05-11-2021, 13:54   #7992
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So are you aligning with the prediction or aren’t you?
For God’s sake, jfman! This has nothing to do with whether I am ‘aligning with the prediction’. It was you who accused those of us who were saying no more restrictions were necessary of ‘hoping for the best’. Once again, you are twisting this into a completely different argument.

It is not a case of hoping for the best at all. The justification for taking no further action is that the modelling suggests a sharp decline in the infection rate during November/December, and the current number of infections is also well within that modelling. So yes, the modelling is a good basis to work on.

So, I say again, where is your justification for imposing more measures now, unless of course you are ‘hoping for the worst’?
Old 05-11-2021, 13:58   #7993
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
For God’s sake, jfman! It was you who accused those of us who were saying no more restrictions were necessary of ‘hoping for the best’. Once again, you are twisting this into a completely different argument.

It is not a case of hoping for the best at all. The justification for taking no further action is that the modelling suggests a sharp decline in the infection rate during November/December, and the current number of infections is also well within that modelling.

So, I say again, where is your justification for imposing more measures now, unless of course you are ‘hoping for the worst’?
Old Boy you are going around in circles all by yourself. You responded to me with a meaningless post that didn’t actually address the point I was making, now you seem to be attempting to make a half baked prediction that you don’t wish to be pinned down to in the long run.

If you have nothing further to add - like what that figure will be, what level of hospitalisations it gives, deaths etc. or offer your own opinion on what level would warrant concern then I can only presume you’re at your own baseline of ideologically supporting no restrictions regardless of outcomes. Which is fine - just don’t try to tart it up as anything insightful or giving due consideration to reality.
Old 05-11-2021, 14:03   #7994
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Old Boy you are going around in circles all by yourself. You responded to me with a meaningless post that didn’t actually address the point I was making, now you seem to be attempting to make a half baked prediction that you don’t wish to be pinned down to in the long run.

If you have nothing further to add - like what that figure will be, what level of hospitalisations it gives, deaths etc. or offer your own opinion on what level would warrant concern then I can only presume you’re at your own baseline of ideologically supporting no restrictions regardless of outcomes. Which is fine - just don’t try to tart it up as anything insightful or giving due consideration to reality.
Unfortunately, once again you are not listening. This is the scientists’ own model, and of course it is sensible to be guided by that.
Old 05-11-2021, 14:05   #7995
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Unfortunately, once again you are not listening. This is the scientists’ own model, and of course it is sensible to be guided by that.
If you can’t commit to backing your own position Old Boy I don’t know how you expect to persuade anyone else of your wishful thinking.
Closed Thread