Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] ntl Redundancies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] ntl Redundancies
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2004, 13:40   #61
slimshady
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Wales
Posts: 97
slimshady is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocked
wot they gona do....SACK ME?!
Get you prosecuted for fraud
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2004, 13:43   #62
shocked
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 31
shocked is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady
Get you prosecuted for fraud
they need to find out who i am 1st, and then they need to find out my account number.......because it wasn't an associate account, i 'pay' full price for the service.........
shocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 13:45   #63
Nemesis
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 59
Services: Virgin stuff
Posts: 6,407
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Erm .... this is straying off topic ...... stick to the point of the thread please
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 13:47   #64
Neil
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocked
they need to find out who i am 1st, and then they need to find out my account number.......because it wasn't an associate account, i 'pay' full price for the service.........
If it's the same system that miraculously never has details stored of conversations/things promised to customers by lame ntl employees, then I think it's fair to say you will be safe.....
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 13:47   #65
shocked
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 31
shocked is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Erm .... this is straying off topic ...... stick to the point of the thread please
sorry
shocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 14:16   #66
slimshady
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Wales
Posts: 97
slimshady is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Erm .... this is straying off topic ...... stick to the point of the thread please
Yes Guv!

Na ntl don't have a clue lol - i heard once down the grapevine that someone who had left ntl quite a few weeks previously, just walked into the building swipped their card to get in logged into their PC, logged onto whichever system they were being billed from and credit'd their account. Never got done for it and this was years ago - don't know how true it is but nothing surprises me.

But seriously their fools, the company let good people go either by making them redundant or with the poor salaries/working conditions. For anyone still working for ntl - If you can find a good job outside of ntl go for it. I was once loyal to them but theres only so many times they can kick you in the balls before you finally say sod the loyalty.

Best of luck for those job hunting!!
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 14:27   #67
Escapee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady
Yes Guv!

Na ntl don't have a clue lol - i heard once down the grapevine that someone who had left ntl quite a few weeks previously, just walked into the building swipped their card to get in logged into their PC, logged onto whichever system they were being billed from and credit'd their account. Never got done for it and this was years ago - don't know how true it is but nothing surprises me.

But seriously their fools, the company let could people go either by making them redundant or with the poor salaries/working conditions. For anyone still working for ntl - If you can find a good job outside of ntl go for it. I was once loyal to them but theres only so many times they can kick you in the balls before you finally say sod the loyalty.

Best of luck for those job hunting!!
I feel sorry for the people who are being made redundant and I hope they find suitable positions as soon as they can.

I have been one of the ones slated by ntl employees in the past for sla**ing off ntl as a bad employer, I think many of these people have now found themselves in the same position and now probably feel the same about the company.

I felt, and stated before that more redundancies would be on the way. I feel this because ntl has done very little to really improve the way the company operates and the only way they can keep shareholders happy is to cut jobs.
I feel it will be detrimental to the long term future of the company, and I hope the people who have taken the company line in the past will realise that ntl ie: CableTel has treated the majority of employees badly since they arrived on these shores and started employing in 94/95.

There is such a bad morale in many ntl departments/regions and I felt long before I left ntl that too much permanent damage was already done. All that has happened sinse that time is the errosion of benefits and the pressure increased on employees to meet unrealistic targets, all so the management can keep themselves in a job.

As an example none of the employees earning over fifty thousand pounds a year in a position requiring a company vehicle lost their car/van fuel entitlement!
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 14:43   #68
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee

As an example none of the employees earning over fifty thousand pounds a year in a position requiring a company vehicle lost their car/van fuel entitlement!
Does this mean that any engineer that turns up to repair or sort out my system could possibly arrive by bus?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 15:01   #69
Escapee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Does this mean that any engineer that turns up to repair or sort out my system could possibly arrive by bus?
No

It means all the employees earning less than 50K lost their personal fuel allowance, the lucky ones earning over 50K kept the perk. It was a big issue with some of us due to old agreements that ntl agreed to honour.

They have also taken cars off network engineers and given them vans in my old region. remember when we complained about other regions having better pay we were usually told. "Yes, but you were given cars with personal use as part of your package instead of vans" It goes wothout saying they have taken the cars away but not increased the wages of those affected to compensate.

I am not trying to take it off topic, but if you were in one of the meetings that I was in and heard HR's attitude towards employees it was disgusting. I do admit to having a little smile when they made all of HR redundant though, and these people had a taste themselves because they couldn't see they were nothing special to ntl management either.
The big joke of it was that HR was moved centrally, I understand that didn't work so it was moved back into the regions again. That's just typical ntl departmental re-orgs, they last about 18 months and when it's clear they are not working its all change by mixing the same ingredients they have used before to come up with a different flavour yet again.

Trouble is they all tend to leave a sour taste!

I am sure ntl will be looking to recruit in certain job functions in the future as they cut things to a level where the company ceases to function, but one things for certain is the best candidates are the ones that already have the experience and not many of them will touch ntl again out of choice.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:02   #70
scrotnig
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
Unhappy And so......goodbye! (long boring post)

Quote:
And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
Finally, the time is approaching that I never thought I would see. The time at which I leave ntl for good and, hopefully, start a new job somewhere else. Where, I do not yet know.

As I announced recently, I have handed my notice in at ntl due to my failure to secure an alternative role to replace my own when I am made redundant at some point towards the end of the year.

I have numerous skills and experience within the company, but I cannot jump through hoops at a role play interview and say the right buzz-words. I simply can't. I've tried, but I've failed. So the end looms. Today my team leader persuaded me to try one last throw of the dice & very kindly put me through a 'mock interview' for my own existing job to see if we could shed any light on it. I failed the interview. I cannot even pass a role play for the exact job I already do. It is a hopeless case. I knew as I was speaking that I was fluffing it. It's bizzarre, I just can't do in a fake situation what I do every day for real. But they can't make special rules for me. I don't cut the mustard at the interview, and if that happens, you don't get the job. Period.

Although I have some shifts still to do, I shall be using up some holiday time during my notice period. On top of that, I hope nobody takes offence when I say that I don't really intend to do any more than the bare minimum during my last few weeks at ntl, so offering any further assistance on here is not really an option. I'm truly sorry about that, but it's realistically the way things are.

I don't know what I will do on that final day. I am no good at them. They are bad enough when you DO want to leave, but I've never done one where I *don't* want to leave before. Leaving my now-famous desk knowing that I shan't be returning ever. Taking home the large collection of spider plants that I have become eccentricly famous for. There's so many I will have to do a couple at a time. It'll be like a countdown to the end. And I doubt any other employer would actually let me have so many. I tend to favour not coming in on the last day, but not deciding that until after you've left the previous shift. Then your last day only becomes known as your last day retrospectively...if you see what I mean.

Losing my ntl services as well. Because, for the same reasons I can't keep posting here, I can't keep them either. Actually having to use BT for broadband and Sky for TV. What have I ever done to deserve this? I've used cable since 1994! That's 10 years.

I'd like to thank my own department's management team, who really have done their best to get me coached in role plays so I could get another job, but I think perhaps they thought I was exaggerating when I said I was crap at them!

I'd also like to thank the team at this site for the great job they do in here, plus I'd like to thank the members here for the banter, the fun, the arguments and the atmosphere. I hope I've been of some use to those I have tried to help. I'd like to thank Bill C as well who has unswervingly gone round to fix all those customers with horrendous broadband problems in the NW for me...there may be one or two more to come from my remaining time but after that you'll be free!

Believe it or not I'd like to thank ntl! I've had, overall, a great three years with the company. There's been ups and downs, and downs again, but overall it's been great and I'm desperately sorry not to be staying on as the company moves into another new era.

I think perhaps I was a little niave in assuming that because I knew the job, the systems and the company so well, I'd walk into another job with them. That's not the case, and it brought home with a bump that however good you think you might be, there's always someone better. Better people than me are replacing me, and that's got to be for the best ultimately I suppose. I'm a bit of a loose cannon, I speak my mind and I occasionally break rules to get the job done. I don't think they want people like that any more, and if I'm honest I can see why. My time has passed.

I hope everyone here understands my reasons for leaving the site altogether, and realises that it's not indicative of any problems or dissatisfaction on my part. I just need a clean break. I don't want to be coming here and be constantly reminded of how things were, and how things could have been. When it's time to move on, you cannot leave bits of you behind, and that's the way it has got to be.

Finally, good luck to all the great people in Coventry who got their 90 days today. Ironically, that's where my job is going to go later in the year! And good luck to all the colleagues I'm leaving behind. For most of them, the end draws ever nearer, but THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!


Au revoir
Arrivederci
AdiÃÃâ€*’²s
Auf wiedersehen
Dag
Yassou
Adeus
Pahkah
Syohnyrah
Zai jian

scrotnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:19   #71
Ramrod
Inactive
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: And so......goodbye! (long boring post)

Bye m8 (a moving post)



Good luck!
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:21   #72
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned
 
paulyoung666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: And so......goodbye! (long boring post)

you will bounce back , onwards and upwards , one door closes another one opens

best wishes wherever you may land
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:32   #73
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: And so......goodbye! (long boring post)

Good Luck Mark and yes you were right although I didn't get round to replying lol

I've got this awful feeling of impending doom with all these changes that are coming in, hope they don't come true
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:35   #74
bopdude
Inactive
 
bopdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Teesside
Posts: 8,315
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
Re: And so......goodbye! (long boring post)

As above, hope you find employment quickly, I will be in the same boat soon, I gave a months notice on Tuesday, my g\f is fed up of me being away One of the directors said to see him on Monday to try and find a solution but can't see any way around it.


Anyhoo, this is your thread so once again, good luck mate, I'm a firm beliver, if you want work you will find it
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 20:50   #75
Graham F
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,604
Graham F has reached the bronze age
Graham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze ageGraham F has reached the bronze age
Re: [Merged] ntl Redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocked
they need to find out who i am 1st, and then they need to find out my account number.......because it wasn't an associate account, i 'pay' full price for the service.........
No offence but i could have a pretty good guess who you are and I left back in March so i don't think it would take ntl much ....was it really that long ago I personally wouldn't go aroound bragging abt things like that

anyway its sad news that more people are going but its a big world out there
Graham F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:43.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum