Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-05-2008, 14:17   #7216
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

The 'Two Dead in Baghdad' quote can be found in The Washington Post, dated 22nd May.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102989_pf.html
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2008, 14:22   #7217
GeordieF
Inactive

GeordieF is an unknown quantity at this point

Emailed it and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review article to the Adjutant of my sons` Battalion as well as my local MLA, also emailed BT as IMO BT PLC is by association with Phorm also guilty.
Old 26-05-2008, 14:29   #7218
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I tried filling in the http://webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php form on the BT Webwise Phorm phishing site, with some made-up details, and got this when I clicked the button to submit:

(didn't work for contact-confirm.php either)

Not Found

The requested URL http://webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact-confirm.html was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (FH) Server at webwise.bt.com Port 80

I wonder?

BT logo has reappeared though.
Maybe it isnt now but how many people have followed the link used it and given details thinking they are still inside BT domain and hosting like this post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post7212.html where you see he sent a message giving his details and had a reply from Phorm. This is a breach in data protection since BT's own website directed them onto a domain they have no control or hosting without warning them thye are leaving BT's domain.. Infact they make it look like it is in their domain but redirect you..
Old 26-05-2008, 14:44   #7219
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Correction - I meant possible offence under DPA not RIPA. I feel I should report this or at least complain, but would be grateful for others' opinions first.
And report to whom? abuseATbt.com? ICO? The boys in blue?
g
Old 26-05-2008, 15:07   #7220
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Maybe it isnt now but how many people have followed the link used it and given details thinking they are still inside BT domain and hosting like this post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post7212.html where you see he sent a message giving his details and had a reply from Phorm. This is a breach in data protection since BT's own website directed them onto a domain they have no control or hosting without warning them thye are leaving BT's domain.. Infact they make it look like it is in their domain but redirect you..
Oh don't worry I'm not making excuses for them. Complaint to ICO will be going off in next day or so! I'm just seeing things "change" on that site and wondering if they are getting worried! Hope so.

Load time for BT Webwise site is now at least a couple of minutes.
Title of page on browser tab, is "BT Webwise|Contact BT"
Old 26-05-2008, 15:40   #7221
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I have already emailed Emma Sanderson at BT for replies to questions on this website she read the first one but not the second one mind sent second with a CC to BT's CEO as it was a posible DPA breach as they didn't wanr customer/visitors they were moving away from BT's domain name.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnilddif View Post
Correction - I meant possible offence under DPA not RIPA. I feel I should report this or at least complain, but would be grateful for others' opinions first.
And report to whom? abuseATbt.com? ICO? The boys in blue?
g
What you have to consider is when you moved to the domain about webwise was you ever warned this was not a BT website?
Did you follow the link from within BT's website like I did today where the link looked like you were staying inside BT's yet redirected you to outside?
Did BT op a window up saying you are now moving outside our domain and be carful with personal data.
Old 26-05-2008, 16:12   #7222
Paul Delaney

Quote:
I've just noticed - the BT logo has disappeared off the page - I think we may be rattling them. Keep reporting it, everyone - maybe they will even move it back to BT servers.
I'd like to think we've got them running around like headless chickens!

Not knowing enough about the technology and very much aware of the fact that we know more, they're desperately trying to work out what part of the webwise contact site constitutes Phishing!

Maybe it's the BT Logo - get rid of it!!

Maybe it's the Contact Form - kill all the links!!

What the hell have they seen on this site??!!

It gives you a warm feeling just to imagine that you're a member of what has become in BT's eyes a respected body of opinion!

Old 26-05-2008, 16:26   #7223
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I have already emailed Emma Sanderson at BT for replies to questions on this website she read the first one but not the second one mind sent second with a CC to BT's CEO as it was a posible DPA breach as they didn't wanr customer/visitors they were moving away from BT's domain name.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

What you have to consider is when you moved to the domain about webwise was you ever warned this was not a BT website?
Did you follow the link from within BT's website like I did today where the link looked like you were staying inside BT's yet redirected you to outside?
Did BT op a window up saying you are now moving outside our domain and be carful with personal data.
Never any doubt at all: from first opening the BT Webwise page, through clicking the 'Contact BT' link to clicking Submit, I always believed I was, and would be communicating within the BT network.

g
Old 26-05-2008, 17:46   #7224
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnilddif View Post
Never any doubt at all: from first opening the BT Webwise page, through clicking the 'Contact BT' link to clicking Submit, I always believed I was, and would be communicating within the BT network.

g

I'm sure the Admins on the BT Forums would "love" this link being present on the Webwise thread at the moment.

It's the one that BT Links to to help customers protect themselves from "Phishing Scams"
http://uk.security.yahoo.com/protect...ing-scams.html

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
I'm sure the Admins on the BT Forums would "love" this link being present on the Webwise thread at the moment.

It's the one that BT Links to to help customers protect themselves from "Phishing Scams"
http://uk.security.yahoo.com/protect...ing-scams.html
Not only is the form below, which asks for Personal Details not HTTPS, but did anyone also notice the ticked box at the bottom of the page!
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sec.../phishing.html
Old 26-05-2008, 17:57   #7225
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

anyone notice when you use bt yahoo search for webwise it pops up as 3rd on the list.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:22   #7226
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
anyone notice when you use bt yahoo search for webwise it pops up as 3rd on the list.
But if you try the BT Yahoo help pages and use the internal searchbox for Webwise, it returns zero hits.
And if you use the bt.com search box you get one hit with a broken link going nowhere.

Still - if lots of us report the webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php page as a phishing site via Firefox and IE7, then maybe it will get a bit more attention!
Old 26-05-2008, 18:25   #7227
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
But if you try the BT Yahoo help pages and use the internal searchbox for Webwise, it returns zero hits.
And if you use the bt.com search box you get one hit with a broken link going nowhere.

Still - if lots of us report the webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php page as a phishing site via Firefox and IE7, then maybe it will get a bit more attention!
Reported to Google via Firefox.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:36   #7228
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Reported through IE7
...and on phishtank. However phishtank phails with this because to be verified as a valid 'phish' you have to be persuaded to get to the site via an e-mail. Phatal phlaw.

Phew!

I posted on Digital Spy about the phishing page, however, it would seem that there is apathy amongst users of DS. Either that or there are no BT customers that frequent the DS forums. 24 hours - 146 views but 0 replies or queries.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:55   #7229
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
The 'Two Dead in Baghdad' quote can be found in The Washington Post, dated 22nd May.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102989_pf.html
When I put that link on BadPhorm, I was more concerned about Revenue Science. Kent’s quote about monetising the war in Iraq wasn’t the stand-out line for me. He’s been using the Iraq example for a while now.

He used a more generalised version of that example, in his presentation at the Phorm Town Hall Meeting.
Phorm Open Meeting Video Footage

[the user is] browsing the web. And, this is where it gets interesting. They arrive in front of a blog, ok. How much money do you think that blog today is making from on-line advertising? The answer is almost certainly zero. If it’s making money, it’s pennies. And, why is that? Because they’re not big. Because they might not be about a subject category that is relevant to advertisers, so it might not be about cars. It might be about social policy. It might be about, I don’t know, the war in Iraq. Ok. Not really advertiser-conducive subject categories…

…Let’s say that this random number is now going to another page. It’s a newspaper site. People are reading fewer and fewer newspapers, and yet, when you move on-line as a newspaper, the numbers don’t stack up. So, what happens? The press disappears? This is a system that allows you to show adverts based at who’s looking at the page.

This was picked up in an IDG News Service article by Jeremy Kirk.
Controversial Ad System Keeps Its Eye on the Money

Ertugrul claims the technology especially appeals to newspapers, since it's hard to find an ad – even for reasons of taste – that would match a news story about a bombing in Baghdad. Instead, the ad is disassociated from the content on the page and aimed directly at a user.
While Kent’s latest quote may have been particularly clumsy, it doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know about the world. Bad news sells. Therefore, advertisers often want their adverts snuggled up along side that bad news.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:55   #7230
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Captured a few packets via wireshark for webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php about 30 minutes ago. Resolved to 207.44.186.90
Tried it again just now and it now resolves to Fasthosts???
Closed Thread