Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 22-02-2007, 20:52   #691
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
And i'm not currently being traffic shaped.
Not all areas are active, and once they have worked out what works best, they will apply to ALL areas.

Don't forget TV comes down the same cable, and they won't want people to have problems with pictures breaking up and freezing. Further more with Virgin Central being pushed, this requires more bandwidth as more and more customers use it.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2007, 20:55   #692
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It's just a case of wait and see i guess. I've always lived in an uncongested area and hardly had any problems apart from using an old Motorola modem that couldn't handle 10mbit. I'll be as ****ed as everyone else as soon as shaping hits me but from what i understand it's just in congested areas at the moment.
Old 22-02-2007, 21:27   #693
Carl J
Permanently Banned

Carl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00 View Post
Not all areas are active, and once they have worked out what works best, they will apply to ALL areas.

Don't forget TV comes down the same cable, and they won't want people to have problems with pictures breaking up and freezing. Further more with Virgin Central being pushed, this requires more bandwidth as more and more customers use it.
The two cannot affect each other, broadband's usage of the cable network remains constant regardless of how much of the available bandwidth customers are using, throttling doesn't affect this.
Carl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 22:20   #694
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
The two cannot affect each other, broadband's usage of the cable network remains constant regardless of how much of the available bandwidth customers are using, throttling doesn't affect this.
There are restrictions on both the network hardware and cabling. Unless the equipment is upgraded, then congestion will happen. Although there is fibre over most of the network, the last section is standard coxial cabling.
Old 22-02-2007, 22:40   #695
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

jcw00 you seem to think that 2-5gb a day is a lot

Maybe 4 years ago!

As Snoopz says, it is 30 minutes downloading.... It's not the point "what are people downloading"....

I pay for 10mb and expect to get it.... Not have some hardware cutting it in half without even the mention of why!!!! THAT is the point.

I DO agree with you on the "why pay for it if it isn't there" scenario though.... I am taking this route with Virgin at the mo (when they respond)
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 22:42   #696
zing_deleted

Damn I was hoping to find it all sorted here now oh well ill come back in a week
Old 22-02-2007, 23:34   #697
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Per DAY it is.
ill put into perspective for you.

10mbit 24/7 can do 3.2tb 3200 GIG per month.

100 gig per month on a 10mbit connection isnt huge, above average sure but not a large amount of bandwidth. Just downloading between 2 and 6am on a 10mbit connection you would exceed 100gig easily.

I also agree for £35 per month I dont think 100gig is particurly abusive if kept to non peak hours.

It does sound like either you are paying for 10mbit to get your email/http slightly faster or you on the bottom tier expecting people on the top tier to have the same usage pattern as yourself, the primary reason anyone would be paying for the top tier is to download more content.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 15:02   #698
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

Spent the last 2 weeks trying to get a definitive answer in terms of the connection drop....

Only today a nice chap at CS saying there is nothing official, but "yes, it is shaped - his manager's connection does the same".

I have dropped to 4mb now as, all in all, it just isn't worth the price
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 15:49   #699
Kooshini
Inactive

Kooshini is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't be 100% but i think Virgin have changed the way they are now shaping traffic...

The last few nights that i have been coming home (around 5/6pm) I've been getting very good speeds 7Mb+ usually around 9Mb

Thinking this was too good to be true i started doing some tests. I set various downloads going torrents, news, http, ftp etc and watched.

At around the 1.5/2gig mark my speed suddenly dropped to dead on 5Mb steady. This makes me think that Virgin are shaping on a per user basis.

Has anyone else noticed this?

p.s. I actually like the service a lot better now (they have changed the shaping) and can't wait till 20Mb

Koosh
Kooshini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 21:33   #700
Carl J
Permanently Banned

Carl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
There are restrictions on both the network hardware and cabling. Unless the equipment is upgraded, then congestion will happen. Although there is fibre over most of the network, the last section is standard coxial cabling.
Congestion on broadband is irrelevant to TV, etc. Again whether the available broadband usage takes up 1% or 100% of the avaiable bandwidth to it it will not affect TV in any way.

Too many customers using VoD / Virgin Central will certainly cause issues however broadband cannot affect TV in any way.
Carl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 22:17   #701
jcw00
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
Congestion on broadband is irrelevant to TV. However broadband cannot affect TV in any way.
It's the same cabling that carries both technologies, so when one requires more bandwidth, the other will suffer.
Old 01-03-2007, 22:20   #702
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
It's the same cabling that carries both technologies, so when one requires more bandwidth, the other will suffer.
They have a set amount of bandwidth each so this can never happen.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 21:37   #703
Vegeta
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+ HD, 152Mb BB, Superhub 2ac, Talk XL
Vegeta is an unknown quantity at this point

No wonder sometimes I only get 580 KB/s

I would of got Sky MAX BB if it were available to me but no capacity at the exchange ATM
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 21:49   #704
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
It doesn't work like that.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 22:07   #705
zeus9876
Inactive

Services: Phone, TU24, 50mb, TV
zeus9876 will become famous soon enoughzeus9876 will become famous soon enoughzeus9876 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshini View Post
I can't be 100% but i think Virgin have changed the way they are now shaping traffic...

The last few nights that i have been coming home (around 5/6pm) I've been getting very good speeds 7Mb+ usually around 9Mb

Thinking this was too good to be true i started doing some tests. I set various downloads going torrents, news, http, ftp etc and watched.

At around the 1.5/2gig mark my speed suddenly dropped to dead on 5Mb steady. This makes me think that Virgin are shaping on a per user basis.

Has anyone else noticed this?

p.s. I actually like the service a lot better now (they have changed the shaping) and can't wait till 20Mb

Koosh
I heard today from someone in retensions that within the next few months that 2mb was going to 10mb, 4mg going to 20mb, and 10mb going to 30mb, and new top teir of 50mb....any truth to this ?
zeus9876 is offline   Reply With Quote