Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 20:11   #6931
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I should imagine the other vaccine producers are doing the same.
I would imagine so, too. However the AstraZeneca press release I found indicated they were still catching up with effectiveness against Beta, not Delta.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...accinated.html

This of course is the inherent risk of living with the virus that it mutates faster than the vaccines can keep up.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I’m still considering whether I trust Pfizer, but there are no worrying ill effects yet.
I’m sure you’ll be fine, OB. Worst case you catch Covid and get mild symptoms.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2021, 02:16   #6932
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
130 000 in the UK haven't survived from Covid. Our worst loss of civilian life since WW2.
What utter nonsense, the flu, cancer, heart attacks etc etc has killed millions since WW2, as have countless other illnesses.

Cancer kills over 160,000 people per year.

Heart disease killed about 63,000 in 2019, and that was the lowest this century, in 2000, the figure was around 168,000.

The flu has averaged 5000 deaths per year since 2000, when it killed 22,000 with further spikes in 2009 and 2015, which killed around 19,000.

Covid is not going to kill another 130,000 a year, it only managed that because we had zero immunity, thats simply no longer the case.

Its now reduced to being like a bad flu year - so remind me, which previous bad flu years did we wear masks, work from home etc ?

---------- Post added at 02:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The scientists are looking at whether those who have had the AZ vaccines would benefit from the Pfizer booster and vice versa. I’m still considering whether I trust Pfizer, but there are no worrying ill effects yet.
Myself and my middle daughter had pfizer - zero effects.
My wife had AZ, no effects, my youngest also had it, and felt "off" for a day.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:50   #6933
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What utter nonsense, the flu, cancer, heart attacks etc etc has killed millions since WW2, as have countless other illnesses.

Cancer kills over 160,000 people per year.

Heart disease killed about 63,000 in 2019, and that was the lowest this century, in 2000, the figure was around 168,000.

The flu has averaged 5000 deaths per year since 2000, when it killed 22,000 with further spikes in 2009 and 2015, which killed around 19,000.

Covid is not going to kill another 130,000 a year, it only managed that because we had zero immunity, thats simply no longer the case.

Its now reduced to being like a bad flu year - so remind me, which previous bad flu years did we wear masks, work from home etc ?

---------- Post added at 02:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 ----------

Myself and my middle daughter had pfizer - zero effects.
My wife had AZ, no effects, my youngest also had it, and felt "off" for a day.
I honestly can't fathom why you keep taking on MrK. Doesn't matter what you say he'll still keep coning out with absolute crap!
Old 12-08-2021, 06:41   #6934
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I honestly can't fathom why you keep taking on MrK. Doesn't matter what you say he'll still keep coning out with absolute crap!
Pots and kettles spring to mind.

It’s not yet clear what Covid deaths would level off at with uncontrolled spread as suggested by Paul. I’d hazard a guess with over 100 deaths a day in August with mitigations like masks, working from home, etc that it would be worse than the worst flu years. We might not see the same deaths as the last 17 months but that’s an extremely low bar for success. And that’s based on current variants - that could change too.

Cancer and heart attacks aren’t contagious, either.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:53   #6935
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Cancer and heart attacks aren’t contagious, either.
Typical trope.

Ban cigarettes, Ban alcohol, Ban processed foods, Ban sugary drinks, enforce exercise

Protect the NHS

Save lives.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:13   #6936
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Strange - none of those things are actually happening.

Almost as if you were putting forward a strawman argument...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:41   #6937
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Typical trope.

Ban cigarettes, Ban alcohol, Ban processed foods, Ban sugary drinks, enforce exercise

Protect the NHS

Save lives.
which leads on....

Raise income tax, decrease cap gains threshold, repeat for many other taxes

Save the treasury......
Old 12-08-2021, 11:49   #6938
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Smoking is now (and has been for a while) banned from indoor areas and some outdoor areas.

Alcohol is banned from being consumed in many outdoor areas, and strangely enough, the smoking ban has had the effect of closing many pubs down . . or requiring them to become 'restaurants' in order to remain viable as a business.

Sugary drinks (and foods) are now attracting higher taxation rates, sugar also being replaced by 'substitutes' that may be worse than sugar itself.

Processed foods . . . here to stay I'm afraid, no matter what the health experts say. Drive through and home deliveries mean you now don't need to leave your car seat/sofa to get it either, so that's exercise out of the window too.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:01   #6939
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

So: The dog's dead and the cat has shat itself.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:27   #6940
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Pierre? never!

It’s either that, insulting people who were furloughed or a sociopathic disregard for human life that he deems unworthy. We’ve rolled the dice I wonder which Pierre we get today?

For someone who is past covid, doesn’t care any more etc. he certainly spends a lot of time in the thread frothing at the mouth over it. Second only in the post count to myself.

Last edited by jfman; 12-08-2021 at 12:45.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:50   #6941
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Smoking is now (and has been for a while) banned from indoor areas and some outdoor areas.

Alcohol is banned from being consumed in many outdoor areas, and strangely enough, the smoking ban has had the effect of closing many pubs down . . or requiring them to become 'restaurants' in order to remain viable as a business.

Sugary drinks (and foods) are now attracting higher taxation rates, sugar also being replaced by 'substitutes' that may be worse than sugar itself.

Processed foods . . . here to stay I'm afraid, no matter what the health experts say. Drive through and home deliveries mean you now don't need to leave your car seat/sofa to get it either, so that's exercise out of the window too.

Restrict ≠ ban…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:53   #6942
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
So: The dog's dead and the cat has shat itself.
Not only that, the Bats have escaped from the belfry

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Quote:
Restrict ≠ ban…
You're getting confused between driving at 40 in a 30, and lighting a ciggy in a council meeting
Old 12-08-2021, 12:56   #6943
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Not only that, the Bats have escaped from the belfry
Whose batty belfry are we talking about?

Just asking for a friend.

Sorry Mods., I accept a virtual reprimand I couldn't resist as it's not often this thread makes me smile.
Old 12-08-2021, 13:02   #6944
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Whose batty belfry are we talking about?

Just asking for a friend.

Sorry Mods., I accept a virtual reprimand I couldn't resist as it's not often this thread makes me smile.
Don't apologise in advance to the Mods! The Bats prolly started the pandemic in the first place.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-08-2021, 13:42   #6945
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

My point being that although the cancer & heart disease are not "infectious", It doesn't mean that the attitude taken against COVID could not be taken in combating other illnesses and reducing strain on the NHS.

But they don't.

We've just spent 18months throwing money hand over fist at an illness that still when all said and done is a mild infection for the vast majority of people.

A death rate of 2% (and that's from the known recorded positive tests) the death rate is probably much lower than that)

So if they don't do it for other illnesses, then why continue for COVID?

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Pierre? never!

It’s either that, insulting people who were furloughed or a sociopathic disregard for human life that he deems unworthy. We’ve rolled the dice I wonder which Pierre we get today?
you're in no position to critique anyone. You always get Pierre. I think I'm consistent.

Quote:
For someone who is past covid, doesn’t care any more etc. he certainly spends a lot of time in the thread frothing at the mouth over it. Second only in the post count to myself.
Stalker alert.