Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2011, 22:46   #6631
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
I received a phone call the other night just to ask how i was liking the new TIVO box.
I so wanted to like this but am really not impressed with it and passed this on.
Lot of points already well made on here, music on demand absolutely useless now, really slow to search through and who wants an advert at the beginning of each song. Youtube also pretty useless, the new search function looks as though it has been designed by a four year old and i have yet to have it show wanything other than a black screen when i try to search. The old app is marginally better but still a really poor search interface, takes forever. The on demand service lists so many shows that are not available, pointless. And now today the HD channels have no sound and the signal keeps dropping and have to change channel to try and find signal again.
I was told over half a million boxes in use so must be a success,
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M37791

Is the part in bold true ?
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2011, 00:31   #6632
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Doesn't sound too far fetched to me
Old 21-12-2011, 09:24   #6633
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Yes just tested it all other players programes are linking fine, thanks for your help I thought I was going crazy,
Ticket ref is 1835613. Can you reboot then try again and see if it now works?

It's a known bug, but a reboot will fix I'm told.
Old 21-12-2011, 10:56   #6634
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
That's an interesting one. What was said?

My wife commented that she misses the display. How much time left when watching a recording. He said that it was being looked at for the next generation of boxes .
Old 21-12-2011, 12:28   #6635
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
My wife commented that she misses the display. How much time left when watching a recording.
The V+ display tells you how much you've already watched, which, thinking about it, isn't really very useful.

If you press play on the TiVo remote, it'll tell you both how much time has gone, and how much is left. Much better!
Old 21-12-2011, 15:27   #6636
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Ticket ref is 1835613. Can you reboot then try again and see if it now works?

It's a known bug, but a reboot will fix I'm told.
Reboot done the trick now BBC programmes links go to their associated BBC Iplayer page.

Thanks DF, you are a cable forum legend along with your colleagues

Old 21-12-2011, 15:52   #6637
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Reboot done the trick now BBC programmes links go to their associated BBC Iplayer page.

Thanks DF, you are a cable forum legend along with your colleagues
Cheers
Old 21-12-2011, 16:01   #6638
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V+ display tells you how much you've already watched, which, thinking about it, isn't really very useful.

If you press play on the TiVo remote, it'll tell you both how much time has gone, and how much is left. Much better!

I will take this in,what I am sure is the spirit it was intended.
We fully understand how to get this information. However the question was asked what we would feel would make it a better product. That was her answer with his reply. Nothing more nothing less & she finds it useful, sorry if that does not sit well in your world
Old 21-12-2011, 16:46   #6639
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Ive recently changed from Sky+ to a Tivo. And there a couple of things that could be good on the next software update.

The main thing that I have noticed is that when you want to play back a recording, with Sky you can manually select where you want it to start from, buy entering 10, 20, or 30 minutes etc...

Am I missing something, or isn't this facility on the Tivo?
Old 21-12-2011, 16:50   #6640
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
My wife commented that she misses the display. How much time left when watching a recording. He said that it was being looked at for the next generation of boxes .
Cheers. I'm assuming that since Tivo is just a year old we're still 3 or 4 years away from a next generation stb?
Old 21-12-2011, 17:06   #6641
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Ive recently changed from Sky+ to a Tivo. And there a couple of things that could be good on the next software update.

The main thing that I have noticed is that when you want to play back a recording, with Sky you can manually select where you want it to start from, buy entering 10, 20, or 30 minutes etc...

Am I missing something, or isn't this facility on the Tivo?
The nearest thing to that on TiVo is the ability to skip forwards/backwards 15 minutes at a time, by pressing fast forward >> and then press the skip button >I
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:11   #6642
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The nearest thing to that on TiVo is the ability to skip forwards/backwards 15 minutes at a time, by pressing fast forward >> and then press the skip button >I
Which is a step back imho.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:14   #6643
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And forwards (but only in 15 minute segments.....)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:22   #6644
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

If you've part viewed a program it'll start from where you stopped it last time, or as has been said there is the option to skip forward in chunks. That's good enough for me, at least.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

A lot of things that people consider a step back are options you find on less advanced boxes. People have to realise that Tivo is different to what's gone before and requires an attitude adjustment for the end user as much as anything - if you're going to fill it full of functions that older pvr's already do then you might as well save the effort and continue to support the old tech. I came from Sky+hd and when I got V+, well, THAT was a step back. Tivo? Well thats the future!
Old 21-12-2011, 17:28   #6645
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Tivo? Well thats the future!
Is it like Garlic bread
Closed Thread