Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stopping smoking support.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stopping smoking support.

Old 08-02-2012, 18:04   #646
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Stopping smoking support.

I've not had a fag since November I think it was, it's hard but the craving becomes less each day.

I think the trick is finding the right mental angle you want to approach giving up from, for me it was the shear reliance on ciggies that was doing my head in, and I wanted to stick 2 fingers up to it.

Good luck going cold turkey thenry, I found the patches worked well, I did about 2 weeks on the full strength patches then by week 3 started with a lower dose, finally after 4 weeks I stopped using them and so far it's going well.

Dont worry about gaining weight, I've put on a stone or more since giving up, without even trying
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 18:15   #647
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I quit smoking 2 years ago after smoking for 5 years, with no help, none of those patches or anything, just my will power, one day i said to myself i would not smoke anymore and i didn't up.

It can be done, but only if you really want to stop smoking, if your heart is not fully in it, no matter how much support you get, how many patches you take and how many gums you chew, it will never work.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:26   #648
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

good!

i have afew boxes of patches. gum and the plastic pipedreams.. Ive had enough of it all. I tried and failed before thinking there the dogs b'z. This time like you pabs, zee... Up yours im not funding the crap anymore.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 20:09   #649
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Well done pabscars and Zee. You both show that perseverance works and that different approaches suit different people but that, in the end, it is the determination to quit smoking that is what really counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
good!
i have a few boxes of patches. gum and the plastic pipedreams.. Ive had enough of it all. I tried and failed before thinking there the dogs b'z. This time like you pabs, zee... Up yours im not funding the crap anymore.
I did it cold turkey, no choice all those years ago, and it was the anger about the shear waste of money that drove me on through the dark early days when I could hardly resist the nagging need for a nicotine hit. I saved my cigarette money in a jar and used to dream up ways of spending the growing pile of £notes.

Remember someone is usually about on the forum if you feel a weak moment sneaking up on you.
Old 10-02-2012, 22:14   #650
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
anyone tried e-cigarettes? they look interesting but id want to hear from someone whose used them first before i spend that money
I've got the Riva 510. I would DEFINITELY recommend them. I found a very helpful forum that made my decision for me. (it can be a total minefield) But i have to say, i've had a lot going on the last few weeks so i haven't used it properly yet. For me this is the way forward without a doubt.
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:13   #651
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Hey Mr Angry, how long is it you've stopped?
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:47   #652
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
Hey Mr Angry, how long is it you've stopped?
It's just a few days short of 29 months - I find it hard to believe.

Here are my stats for today.

Hello MrAngryGB!

Your Quit Date is: Monday, September 14, 2009 at 12:00:00 AM

Time Smoke-Free: 880 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes and 43 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 39610

Lifetime Saved: 10 months, 2 days, 13 hours
Money Saved: £14,157.00

Actually the money saved will be more than that as I havent adjusted the price per packet in the last year or so.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:51   #653
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Where are you getting your stats from?

I've been getting stressed. Pathetic coming from a 21 year old.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:15   #654
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post

Hello MrAngryGB!

Actually the money saved will be more than that as I havent adjusted the price per packet in the last year or so.
Very well done sir.
You anywhere near getting that boat yet?
Old 11-02-2012, 16:46   #655
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post

Hello MrAngryGB!

Looks like you are getting close to being able to start looking for your boat Mr A.
Quote:
Where are you getting your stats from?

I've been getting stressed. Pathetic coming from a 21 year old.
I seem to remember that Mr A uses Quitnet
.. http://www.quitnet.com/qn_gizmo.jtml?q_feature=32

Being stressed is nothing to be ashamed of. Your body is going through withdrawal symptoms. I dare say that when under stress you automatically reached for a cigarette so you are mot only having to deal with the stress of ridding your self of a dependance on nicotine but also your habitual method of dealing with stressful situations. Hang in there, it does get better. Honest.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:55   #656
thenry
Inactive

Thank you lady
Old 14-03-2012, 19:15   #657
thenry
Inactive

over a month now from going cold turkey. first few days were hard but it got easy as the week went on. i literally have no cravings for it now, I'd rather breath than smoke lol
Old 14-03-2012, 19:44   #658
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Well done thenry. Have you noticed any plus points yet? I remember how everything started tasting so much better.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:46   #659
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
over a month now from going cold turkey. first few days were hard but it got easy as the week went on. i literally have no cravings for it now, I'd rather breath than smoke lol
Seems like you cracked it Mate

A huge WELL DONE!!!! to you.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:50   #660
thenry
Inactive

thank you yup taste, smelling things has improved .. that could work either way tbh giving up smoking getting rid of all the crap inside. head feels lighter if that makes any sense. lungs are clearing but I'm not coughing anything up if that makes any sense as well.