Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 07-08-2012, 12:23   #646
MarkyUK
Inactive

MarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
To be fair though mate the Sky app will have some way to go to beat the TIVO iPad app which has some superb features however I understand your frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
VMs will be worth the wait though, there are so many features compared to the Sky one!!
Are you able to mention some of those features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Hoping that it doesn't copy the feature from the Sky apps where they won't work on jailbroken devices
There is a get around
MarkyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25   #647
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

If they do put jailbreak detection in, hoping that they don't go the lenths that Sky go to, always releasing new versions to overcome the workarounds that the jailbreaking community come up with.

Can't wait for Virgin to release it
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 13:21   #648
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
If they do put jailbreak detection in, hoping that they don't go the lenths that Sky go to, always releasing new versions
Are you kidding? It's taken them forever and it's not even out yet, will be lucky to get an update on a yearly basis.
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35   #649
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

I still think its absolutely laughable how long it has taken VM to publish this app, get it out there and improve it later. That's how Sky have done it. First they added live tv then an update adds on demand. I appreciate Virgins app will be superb when it arrives but I find there lack of updates shocking!
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13   #650
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If only people involved were able to talk about it
Old 08-08-2012, 18:46   #651
MarkyUK
Inactive

MarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about themMarkyUK has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If only people involved were able to talk about it
If you could invite anyone to the beta - I would be more than happy to help
Old 15-08-2012, 10:31   #652
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...he-way-1092284

Well done Virgin. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:37   #653
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post

Very good it is too , with more to come
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 18:58   #654
chrisidaho
Inactive

Services: Triple XL Virgin Media and TiVo
chrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about them

I just cannot get my head round why virgin have approached this the way they have. By choosing to withhold it whilst they add functionality they have missed out on a huge marketing opportunity to get one over on sky....
chrisidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:11   #655
Meadian
Inactive

Meadian is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using TiVo's own iPad app and BonjourVM but the latest update that wall rolled out to my box a few days ago seems to have broken it. Anyone have any ideas on a fix whilst we wait for Virgin to release their own app?
Meadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:12   #656
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisidaho View Post
I just cannot get my head round why virgin have approached this the way they have. By choosing to withhold it whilst they add functionality they have missed out on a huge marketing opportunity to get one over on sky....
I would suggest that it is because they have been struggling to get to work to an acceptable level.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:40   #657
chrisidaho
Inactive

Services: Triple XL Virgin Media and TiVo
chrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about themchrisidaho has a spectacular aura about them

In terms of interacting with the TiVo i understood that it is built from the US TiVo app which has been around a good while now and is reportedly pretty stable. there are evidently some beta testers around who are covered by an NDA who state things along the lines of us being "pleasantly surprised" when it is released, on a few of the forums- hardly what you would say if the app is not working acceptably

If the getting it to work to an acceptable level is in relation to streaming then I still don't get why they didn't get the app out there and then build in this functionality in a subsequent version of the app.

If it is to do with concerns about people struggling with needing the TiVo to be wired into the network sky evidently didn't see it as a problem, just adding in to their apps release info that you will need to wire your sky box into your network to use the app.
chrisidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:52   #658
MarkyUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post

That sounds awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisidaho View Post
My thoughts exactly! Sky have done it right this time around!
Old 16-08-2012, 15:51   #659
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
I would suggest that it is because they have been struggling to get to work to an acceptable level.
Not the case at all.
Old 17-08-2012, 20:00   #660
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

It kinda shows how differently Sky and VM think of their customers

Virgin: We dont think our customers understand that for this to work they need their Tivo box on their home network, so we will delay it until we can figure something out that works for everyone.
Sky: We know some customers will be upset that they need to plug extra cables in, but those who do will appreciate the application and they are likely to have been in our target audience for the initial launch of the app anyway.

Seems like the same flawed thinking that birthed the superhub. Our users are stupid, so lets give them something that barely does what they need.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote