Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2016, 15:47   #631
RBMark

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wasn't really a clear majority. It was a really close result.

Should have been a minimum of 60-70% before it was classed as a confirmed result.

The MPs though could technically reject it and stay.
The Scottish independence referendum result stood, 55% voted stay , and you stayed. Or do you think the SNP should overrule it? Remember Scotland may well have another referendum of it's own, will that result stand?

Advertisement
Old 28-06-2016, 15:53   #632
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:

Should have been a minimum of 60-70% before it was classed as a confirmed result.

The government are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Remain and run the risk that the UK is perceived as weak, with the EU voting away matters agreed with David Cameron because the deal had to be ratified by EU leaders.

Leave and take your chances that the deal made, if there is one, might be better or indeed worse than the Cameron deal or even the status quo now.

We won't really know anything until the Conservatives elect a new PM.

Either way it's going to be a really sensitive diplomatic matter to deal wwith.
Old 28-06-2016, 15:55   #633
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
A majority of people didn't vote leave. Imo voting should've been compulsory in this referendum and there should of been independent thinkers giving facts not opinions about the EU, just simple this is what they do for us, this is what they cost us and they should've been shown giving these facts at prime time across all channels a number of times. I find it disturbing that in the hours after voting closed the most popular UK Google search is 'what is the EU'
Maybe all the people so busy frothing at the mouth on social media, and filling in bs petitions, should have been a bit more passionate about voting... the % difference to swing it wasn't that big, it would have made the difference.

Tough titties really to them.
Old 28-06-2016, 15:59   #634
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
It's funny that now that the EU has come clean about forming the EU Army they haven't published how the army will be created, how it operates and what effect it will have on the younger voters who opted to remain in the EU.

I think the forming of the EU Army is potentially dangerous. Let's imagine a scenario. Russia threatens Ukraine. Ukraine appeals to the EU for help. The EU responds by placing EU army troops on the ground in Ukraine to forestall a Russian invasion.Russia feels threatened. What happens next? It could be that a major conflict arises. EU Leaders are asked to supply troops.If the UK does that the UK itself becomes a potential target for aggression. We have already had several air and sea incursions into UK airspace and UK waters.

Might be helpful if the EU clarified how the army would be created and operated and how it will effect those elegible for recruitment.
God knows how a EU Army would work, assuming an none NATO member of the EU army is invaded, then a nato member of the EU army is involved. Is NATO then obligated to join in? So then it's our problem if we're in the EU or not. I don't think a EU Army and NATO can exisit.

Last edited by RBMark; 28-06-2016 at 16:12.

Old 28-06-2016, 16:09   #635
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
They have to get on with it. Until Article 50 is invoked there will be no formal nor informal talks.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/27/eu-lea...gered-5970164/
There is a lot of behind the scenes work going on. Labour are drawing up a proposal with, I presume, the mini manifesto leave had. Whilst I'd like A 50 to be invoked sooner rather than later we have to have a plan before we can do this.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:

Oh come on. It's over lets get on with it. Would you be saying that if it had been 51 - 49 in favour of remain?
Old 28-06-2016, 16:17   #636
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
Yes let's ignore a majority vote in a democratic referendum, then when Scotland ever do vote to leave the UK just ignore it, or if they vote to remain then SNP should just leave anyway.
The result was in no way a clear majority of the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
A majority of people didn't vote leave. Imo voting should've been compulsory in this referendum and there should of been independent thinkers giving facts not opinions about the EU, just simple this is what they do for us, this is what they cost us and they should've been shown giving these facts at prime time across all channels a number of times. I find it disturbing that in the hours after voting closed the most popular UK Google search is 'what is the EU'
Just to be clear i voted to leave and i could not agree more with this statement .Voting in referendums should be compulsory and i think in a split decision like this one we should have another one with compulsory voting and if still split then the status quo stays in place.I also think that allowing the government to campaign or even any group to campaign is wrong in referendums we should just be given facts like Daddy says above,enough to allow an informed decision.

Old 28-06-2016, 16:18   #637
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I voted out, but I knew it would be chaos if we left, my vote was mostly a protest vote to immigration. Never imagined the result would be an out vote.

I think there is a chance the result wont be acted upon, but I dont think it is the most likely result. We now in a tough position facing to have to negotiate trade deals as a small country and that includes to the EU members who seem to have now adopted a child mentality in how they want this to go.
Old 28-06-2016, 16:22   #638
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Slight increase in the Pound And the FTSE is 6,149.40 +167.20 (2.79%)

Onwards and Upwards
Old 28-06-2016, 16:26   #639
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
The result was in no way a clear majority of the country

Just to be clear i voted to leave and i could not agree more with this statement .Voting in referendums should be compulsory and i think in a split decision like this one we should have another one with compulsory voting and if still split then the status quo stays in place.I also think that allowing the government to campaign or even any group to campaign is wrong in referendums we should just be given facts like Daddy says above,enough to allow an informed decision.
Compulsory voting is a pipedream that should be avoided at all costs. What are you going to do if they don't? Drag them to the polling station? Are you going to watch while they place their cross? What if they spoil their paper?

Voting is a right that each and every person (legally) in this country has, they also have the right not to vote if they so wish.

Last edited by pip08456; 28-06-2016 at 16:27. Reason: Added (legally) for the pedants.
Old 28-06-2016, 16:33   #640
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
The Scottish independence referendum result stood, 55% voted stay , and you stayed. Or do you think the SNP should overrule it? Remember Scotland may well have another referendum of it's own, will that result stand?
There has always been talk of another referendum because of the close split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Oh come on. It's over lets get on with it. Would you be saying that if it had been 51 - 49 in favour of remain?
I'll bet us leavers would be

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Quote:
Compulsory voting is a pipedream that should be avoided at all costs. What are you going to do if they don't? Drag them to the polling station? Are you going to watch while they place their cross? What if they spoil their paper?

Voting is a right that each and every person in this country has, they also have the right not to vote if they so wish.
In an election i fully agree but a referendum is not a vote for a person or party,it is simply a statement by an individual .Compulsory voting is used in many countries including some in Europe and Australia ,it's not that unusual

Old 28-06-2016, 16:34   #641
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I voted out, but I knew it would be chaos if we left, my vote was mostly a protest vote to immigration. Never imagined the result would be an out vote.

I think there is a chance the result wont be acted upon, but I dont think it is the most likely result. We now in a tough position facing to have to negotiate trade deals as a small country and that includes to the EU members who seem to have now adopted a child mentality in how they want this to go.
The problem is you, just like the others crying now, treated this referendum just like a General Election without realising what you were voting for.

A referendum is not the place for a protest vote. It is a vote voicing your opinion on the question asked and nothing more i.e. stay or leave.

You voted leave so live with it.
Old 28-06-2016, 16:40   #642
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

The difference between winners and losers can be milliseconds.
in this case it was over 1 million people difference.

Voted out won. so we leave.
if we stay in the rest of the world will just see us as weak. all talk and no action.
which we are anyway. we're a pathetic country. we are the pansies of the world.

our Bulldog is a Chihuahua.
Know yourself, Britain.

Old 28-06-2016, 16:43   #643
martyh

Quote:
The problem is you, just like the others crying now, treated this referendum just like a General Election without realising what you were voting for.

A referendum is not the place for a protest vote. It is a vote voicing your opinion on the question asked and nothing more i.e. stay or leave.

You voted leave so live with it.
Got to agree with this

Old 28-06-2016, 16:47   #644
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:

Voting is a right that each and every person (legally) in this country has, they also have the right not to vote if they so wish.

I suggested a long time ago that voting papers should have a box marked "I do not wish to vote for any of the above parties/options".

If in the present situation voter turnout is low then the government tend to assume that it is voter apathy and do nothing.

If however all voters go out and vote by ticking the box of their choice and people tick the "no vote" box the government does not have that excuse.

Indeed they have a duty to find out why voters found the choice of parties unacceptable or not worth voting for.

It's a way for unhappy voters to provide feedback to the parties giving parties the opportunity to re-examine the policies that voters do not want to vote for.

I'll bet no-one from government asks Leave voters why they voted to Leave and thus the matter remains unresolved.

If nothing changes and we have a second referendum more people may vote but because matters are unresolved and unaddressed the result could be still the same.
Old 28-06-2016, 16:50   #645
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Got to agree with this
What scares me is that I know Chrys, and appreciate he is an intellegent person yet he didn't realise. He's helped me with problems well before my accident a few years ago. (I've recovered well enough thanks, nearly back to normal if I knew what that meant.)

What does this say about the Intellegensia of this country???
Closed Thread