Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Old 16-02-2007, 19:09   #616
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

I keep a database of impending asteroid near misses for the planet - I need access to gigs of info per day
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2007, 19:17   #617
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Yeah and some people just pork pie...
Old 17-02-2007, 03:34   #618
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
We are all Linux Enthusiasts!
We are all downloading Linux ISOs

Truth, just ask Bill
good , so that means someones made/downloaded a good linux livecd that can do my
wants as regards wireless/wired NAS and DVB-T streaming see here for thread....
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19...l#post34224367

funny enough if its a personal Traffic shaping app then that too might be a good thing to have on the livecd, as long as its under MY control and not my ISP at the given time.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 17:11   #619
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

Getting traffic shaped here in Cheshire (i presume). Hit 2gb then a complete falloff to half of my connection speed. Thought i would speak to CS about it but as i thought, they know nothing about traffic shaping.... Putting me through to India twice

Considering downgrading now if this is the future of "10mb". There doesn't seem a lot of point in paying the extra tenner.
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 17:19   #620
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock614 View Post
Getting traffic shaped here in Cheshire (i presume). Hit 2gb then a complete falloff to half of my connection speed. Thought i would speak to CS about it but as i thought, they know nothing about traffic shaping.... Putting me through to India twice

Considering downgrading now if this is the future of "10mb". There doesn't seem a lot of point in paying the extra tenner.
I don't blame you mate. You could move to Cambridge though as it's currently shaping free.
Old 17-02-2007, 17:49   #621
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I don't blame you mate. You could move to Cambridge though as it's currently shaping free.
SSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hopefully they won't notice us if we keep quiet.
Old 17-02-2007, 17:49   #622
Carl J
Permanently Banned

Carl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of lightCarl J is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock614 View Post

Nah that's clear shaping sir. The graph is far too flat to be anything else so, yer, that's Subscriber Traffic Management.
Carl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 21:51   #623
killy_321
Inactive

killy_321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

OK so I have established that:

1. There is traffic shaping going on
2. If I use the Virgin service sparingly I get to keep my 4 meg connection speed 100% of the time.
3. If I download big files or use p2p my internet connection drops to 2meg.

So my question is if I am on the 4meg service does anyone know the exact figures be it in gigs per day or month or downloading over a certain speed at certain times of the day that trigger my connection to be cut to 2meg, so that I can avoid these conditions with my own download manager and p2p throttling keeping the rest of the bandwidth available for speedy browsing and other applications?
killy_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 22:27   #624
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It's not the downloading of big files, it's the P2P that does it.

I downloaded a 431mb file (on a 4mb link) from Blueyonder games demo site, and it took about 13-14 minutes; an equivalent size file from a torrent site took 3 hours - QED.

If you are going to torrent, just set it running and go do something else (imho).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 23:56   #625
Sherlock614
Inactive

Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

As has been said earlier in the thread, shaping appears to be between the hours of 4pm and 12am.

Hit 2gb in between those hours and your connection is halved, returning to full after 2 hours.

The argument of downloading in the wee small hours pushes me more towards 4mb connection in terms of my usage and what i am paying.

It just doesn't justify having 10mb in this current form.
Old 19-02-2007, 01:31   #626
smucks
Inactive

smucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to all

Well after just surfing and no major downloads for months and still finding my connection drops to 2-3 meg from 7 pm, id thought I would catch up on some LINUX iso's and some other stuff.

Guess what I find the same connection still drops like a stone looks like You get tard with a brush no matter what you do on the 10 Meg, no point having it or paying for it if requiring it in the evenings!!!!

They should sell it as day time only mega XL, glad I have my BT line in now looking for a adsl provider to test with no 12 month contract then I'm off any help on this will be welcomed.
smucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 08:06   #627
Locky
Permanently Banned

Locky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friendsLocky doesn't have many friends

doing 3.5 gb a hour atm not being shaped at all (sum guy called netmike on another forum) if you dont download at more than 80% of your 10 meg speed (about 8 meg) you can download all day and all night and not get shaped wereas u go over tht and you get shaped to 600kb/s on newsgroups
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 08:32   #628
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by smucks View Post
Well after just surfing and no major downloads for months and still finding my connection drops to 2-3 meg from 7 pm, id thought I would catch up on some LINUX iso's and some other stuff.

Guess what I find the same connection still drops like a stone looks like You get tard with a brush no matter what you do on the 10 Meg, no point having it or paying for it if requiring it in the evenings!!!!

They should sell it as day time only mega XL, glad I have my BT line in now looking for a adsl provider to test with no 12 month contract then I'm off any help on this will be welcomed.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 08:53   #629
Sherlock614
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
doing 3.5 gb a hour atm not being shaped at all (sum guy called netmike on another forum) if you dont download at more than 80% of your 10 meg speed (about 8 meg) you can download all day and all night and not get shaped wereas u go over tht and you get shaped to 600kb/s on newsgroups
The great thing about this forum is posts like yours, with info like that.

This has been going on a number of weeks now with absolutely no indication of what the guidelines are from NTL. This is what annoys me most.

I am going to ring CS this morning, to try and get somebody "in the know" to tell me why my connection is slowing down by itself.....

If i get that far, i am then going to be asking why there is no info on any website.
Old 19-02-2007, 10:36   #630
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Not the case here, I have no Traffic Shaping

SShhh tho keep it to yourselves
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote