Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 17-01-2012, 08:20   #586
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
But that's the point. There should be no need to upgrade. Sky's (and by extension Bernie's) greed has alienated a huge proportion of the audience.
It is a SKY channel and Virgin Media have to pay for it which in turn requires you to pay for it, I do not watch football so the is no way I would subscribe to the sports channels just for F1.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2012, 08:34   #587
Chalky
Inactive

Services: TV XL, V+, BB L, Phone XL
Chalky will become famous soon enoughChalky will become famous soon enoughChalky will become famous soon enough

As I only want to watch F1, I cannot justify spending £22.50 for 10 live races.
Assuming each race you watch 2.5 hours of TV. For 10 races, that's 25hrs of a year for £270.
Or £10.80 per hour!
Chalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:40   #588
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
As I only want to watch F1, I cannot justify spending £22.50 for 10 live races.
Assuming each race you watch 2.5 hours of TV. For 10 races, that's 25hrs of a year for £270.
Or £10.80 per hour!
Join the club.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:45   #589
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Why do you say 10 live races? Sky are showing all 20 races Live not just 10
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:52   #590
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Why do you say 10 live races? Sky are showing all 20 races Live not just 10
It is split between them and BBC1.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:56   #591
Teppic
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (Entertainment Extra); VM Broadband XL; VM Phone M
Teppic is on a distinguished roadTeppic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlot View Post
Bye Bye F1. I'll try to live without you.

And if I find I can't, it'll be bye bye Virgin.
This.
Teppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:56   #592
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I know it is but if people want to watch 10 races on Sky and 10 on BBC thats there choice but people saying paying for SS for 10 races is wrong as it wil still be 20 races on Sky but they just choose to watch 10 of them
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:09   #593
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Anyone who pays £22.50 extra and chooses to only watch half...... Crazy people! Sky's pre and post race show will be far superior, even Coulthard admitted to that at the Autosport show on Sunday.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:11   #594
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that the Sky price (ransom) is just for the 10 races that are not available FTA on the BBC, so I'll go with Chalky's numbers on this. This F1 tax is one I'll not be paying.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:22   #595
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Providing the BBC highlights are the FULL race, people will soon adjust. When I was younger I watched them all live, religiously! Once I had two kids that went out of the window as sleep was far more important.
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:31   #596
Teppic
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (Entertainment Extra); VM Broadband XL; VM Phone M
Teppic is on a distinguished roadTeppic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
Providing the BBC highlights are the FULL race, people will soon adjust. When I was younger I watched them all live, religiously! Once I had two kids that went out of the window as sleep was far more important.
The BBC have already said that the non-live races will not be the full race distance, but will show about 1 hour of racing action, even though Bernie has stated on record that they can show the full distance if they want.

It looks like I'm finished with F1. No point in watching the highlights as BBC's own news broadcasts will blurt out the result before I've had a chance to watch them, and then there would be no point in only watching 10 races. It would be like reading a book and skipping every other chapter.

This deal is the template that Bernie will want to force on all broadcasters across the world from now on - live on pay TV, highlights on free-to-air. Italy, Germany, and everyone else out there in the world - what we've got, you'll soon be getting.
Teppic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:41   #597
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
They could easily afford it, they just chose to pay millions for The Voice and Premier League highlights 12 hours before Sky shows them instead.

I'l probably watch Australia and Canada on Sky and they can go shove the rest.
Why on earth should the BBC compete with the X-factor

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
This is the link to the falied channel 4 bid.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23340542/

Its not just Formula one though that the BBC want to scale back on /cut.

From the 2013 cricket season local BBC radio is looking at scrapping its coverage of county cricket matches on local radio,as well as other drastic cuts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/899...-coverage.html
This is why the BBC should take control of the Licence fee and expand it to computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones, or shut down BBC Sport altogether!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:42   #598
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
It will be daft if you could watch some in HD and some in SD. looks VM have sold us down the water with this deal. all we want is a stand a lone F1 channel until that happens many people will do wthout or Leave VM

we dont want to watch football, cricket or golf or anything sky sports have offer us we just want to watch F1.
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:47   #599
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
This was the best deal Virgin were going to get, so in that regard its not bad. Sky were never going to undercut themselves to their largest competition, so getting a broadly equivalent deal for SD is pretty good going. They had no obligation to resell the HD variant and it wouldn't make any business sense to do so.

That said, I won't be getting it as I don't want the rest of Sky Sports.
VM could have got Sky Sports F1 HD as a standalone Premium channel (like Boxnation)

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Not sure that would happen after this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_Digital_%2B
If Sky Sports offer all that, it would be good, but if only VM got it in HD...
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:47   #600
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
VM could have got Sky Sports F1 HD as a standalone Premium channel (like Boxnation)
l somehow think that is pie in the sky talk Alan.