Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 13:50   #46
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Radio Cairo, Hampstead, London
Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Posts: 2,937
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
I just said
sorry about that!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2011, 21:59   #47
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

First point, catchup TV is selective and don't include everything, and whatever they do have is only kept for a week. Big Brother winner's week wasn't included and took me days to find the only existing podcast.

As for Tivo, remember not everyone (including myself) has a Tivo. As they are rented rather than bought (on Virgin anyway) then until the switchover is completed I will not be spending my £3 a month thank you. I know it takes years to reach the price of buying one but they've already made thousands from our existing £70 a month fees so hardly need the extra.

But the crucial point is you can only watch something on Tivo when you remember to record it. If not, then you need +1, nothing else will guarantee seeing something.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 22:08   #48
Digital Fanatic
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
First point, catchup TV is selective and don't include everything, and whatever they do have is only kept for a week. Big Brother winner's week wasn't included and took me days to find the only existing podcast.

As for Tivo, remember not everyone (including myself) has a Tivo. As they are rented rather than bought (on Virgin anyway) then until the switchover is completed I will not be spending my £3 a month thank you. I know it takes years to reach the price of buying one but they've already made thousands from our existing £70 a month fees so hardly need the extra.

But the crucial point is you can only watch something on Tivo when you remember to record it. If not, then you need +1, nothing else will guarantee seeing something.
It will arrive early in the new year, but we haven't got a firm date yet.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 01:40   #49
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Just in time for Big Brother with any luck, saves a lot of arguments if I can watch some an hour later than usual...
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 04:15   #50
denphone
Still alive and fighting
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It will arrive early in the new year, but we haven't got a firm date yet.
Thanks DF.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:27   #51
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
First point, catchup TV is selective and don't include everything, and whatever they do have is only kept for a week. Big Brother winner's week wasn't included and took me days to find the only existing podcast.

As for Tivo, remember not everyone (including myself) has a Tivo. As they are rented rather than bought (on Virgin anyway) then until the switchover is completed I will not be spending my £3 a month thank you. I know it takes years to reach the price of buying one but they've already made thousands from our existing £70 a month fees so hardly need the extra.

But the crucial point is you can only watch something on Tivo when you remember to record it. If not, then you need +1, nothing else will guarantee seeing something.
I know it's slightly off topic, but I just wanted to pick up on the point you make about box ownership. Unless you have an insurance plan, Sky look to charge you approx. £65 to come and fix your box for you when it goes wrong. There is no equivalent charge with Virgin.

Secondly, whilst it is often the case that a threat to leave Sky means they won't charge you this amount, the same can be often be said of Virgin customers looking to avoid the monthly Tivo service charge. And don't forget that the fact that Sky boxes use an internal power supply board made with poor quality components, unlike Tivo with it's external transformer, means you WILL need a repair with Sky at some point.

Thirdly, I left Sky after they had come out to replace my stb on three occasions, all free of charge because I threatened to leave. On the fourth occasion I needed a repair I threatened to leave if they charged me for the call out, and they told me I could go! So I did. I took advantage of the benefit of stb ownership and sold my Sky+ box. For £20.

I find it very difficult to make a compelling argument for box ownership over the Virgin model. High call out charges, hassle to get them waived and very little residual value in a used box.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:57   #52
kop32
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2009
Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
Posts: 472
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I know it's slightly off topic, but I just wanted to pick up on the point you make about box ownership. Unless you have an insurance plan, Sky look to charge you approx. £65 to come and fix your box for you when it goes wrong. There is no equivalent charge with Virgin.

Secondly, whilst it is often the case that a threat to leave Sky means they won't charge you this amount, the same can be often be said of Virgin customers looking to avoid the monthly Tivo service charge. And don't forget that the fact that Sky boxes use an internal power supply board made with poor quality components, unlike Tivo with it's external transformer, means you WILL need a repair with Sky at some point.

Thirdly, I left Sky after they had come out to replace my stb on three occasions, all free of charge because I threatened to leave. On the fourth occasion I needed a repair I threatened to leave if they charged me for the call out, and they told me I could go! So I did. I took advantage of the benefit of stb ownership and sold my Sky+ box. For £20.

I find it very difficult to make a compelling argument for box ownership over the Virgin model. High call out charges, hassle to get them waived and very little residual value in a used box.
Andy,

I presume you read the terms and conditions when you joined Sky?,if so you would know that after a year you would be charged for a callout/repair,will you also try and hold VM to ransom if something happens that you don't agree with (or even worse may cost you!!),I know we are all after a good deal etc but for me if Sky continue to supply the full TV experience then I am willing to pay for an insurance policy to cover my equipment,anyway, seeing as though your Mighty Eagles gave me the the best laugh all year when they beat Man Ure I will forgive you
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:41   #53
andy_m
cf.mega poster
 
andy_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
Andy,

I presume you read the terms and conditions when you joined Sky?,if so you would know that after a year you would be charged for a callout/repair,will you also try and hold VM to ransom if something happens that you don't agree with (or even worse may cost you!!),I know we are all after a good deal etc but for me if Sky continue to supply the full TV experience then I am willing to pay for an insurance policy to cover my equipment,anyway, seeing as though your Mighty Eagles gave me the the best laugh all year when they beat Man Ure I will forgive you
Yes, I was aware of the terms and conditions, and yes, I'm aware I was arguing for something I wasn't entitled to. I make no apology for that, like you say, we're all after the best deal we can get, and there are always deals to be had when companies are desperate for your business. After all, on three out of four occasions Sky waived their fee for me and whilst I'd asked for that, it remained their decision to do so. (Please bear in mind that this isn't necessarily a criticism of the way Sky staff handled my case, more an argument that box ownership isn't in the interests of the consumer).

Put it this way, I have no problem with asking a company for a better value deal than they advertise-I don't like one size fits all solutions, I think each time you purchase a product or service it's an opportunity to negotiate with that company.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:47   #54
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

I'm guessing we are all free to buy a Tivo or compatible digital recorder instead, although it wouldn't be customised to work with cable and guessing the Tivo also replaces our old unit rather than adds to them as a DVR will? I'd only go with the Virgin option as even if it has to plug in the existing unit will still presumably be designed to work with it uniquely and carry all the built in channels and tuners? I've only ever seen Sky Plus work the one time and never seen a Tivo at all.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:34   #55
Digital Fanatic
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
I'm guessing we are all free to buy a Tivo or compatible digital recorder instead, although it wouldn't be customised to work with cable and guessing the Tivo also replaces our old unit rather than adds to them as a DVR will? I'd only go with the Virgin option as even if it has to plug in the existing unit will still presumably be designed to work with it uniquely and carry all the built in channels and tuners? I've only ever seen Sky Plus work the one time and never seen a Tivo at all.
Have a look HERE
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 20:10   #56
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

It's not absolutely obvious, but guessing it replaces the old box, especially as I remember when it was called a V+ box and certainly was a direct swap then.

Well, still no 5+1, so won't be any use for Celebrity Big Brother which is the most needed usage, although Neighbours will be a help although shown four times a day already so not exactly a problem finding a slot every day already. I suppose as Virgin aren't connected to C5 then they had no incentive to bring it on to fit CBB which is a shame and I probably won't use it for any other programmes till the new series in the summer. Better late than never but I could have been watching something else now if they'd had it, I can't be bothered recording absolutely everything as I've got more than enough stored up already.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:47   #57
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Hello everyone, although Virgin didn't take up 5+1 in time for last year's series of Big Brother people here thought it should be on by the next. Oh.

Looks like it won't happen now does it? And I have to go out soon so can't watch it at 10 like everyone on Freeview who doesn't even pay for their bloody television. Poor show Branson, really poor.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:53   #58
nstokes
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Hello everyone, although Virgin didn't take up 5+1 in time for last year's series of Big Brother people here thought it should be on by the next. Oh.

Looks like it won't happen now does it? And I have to go out soon so can't watch it at 10 like everyone on Freeview who doesn't even pay for their bloody television. Poor show Branson, really poor.
They do thou. TV licence
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:55   #59
toady
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Hello everyone, although Virgin didn't take up 5+1 in time for last year's series of Big Brother people here thought it should be on by the next. Oh.

Looks like it won't happen now does it? And I have to go out soon so can't watch it at 10 like everyone on Freeview who doesn't even pay for their bloody television. Poor show Branson, really poor.
They do pay, just less than us

Richard doesn't have anything to do with getting channels, just leases the Virgin brand

Just watch it on Freeview or tvcatchup
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 20:59   #60
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Channel 5+1 to launch on December 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
They do thou. TV licence
Er, yes, I pay that as well.

I am not claiming +1 channels are a right, but more concerned our (extremely expensive, 5X as much as the TV licence on top of it) service is so slack it is causing problems no one else in the country is suffering. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be equal to others, nothing more than that?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:55.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum