Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2020, 21:41   #5956
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There are rumours flying about that he is having an affair with a Russian musician and that he is close to resigning because he is finding it difficult to live on the PM salary of £150,000 a year, is fed up of Brexit and the pandemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Links please.
Because it is rumoured that there is super-injunction* in place, you will find it hard to find definite links about the violinist.

Re the "difficult to live on £150k a year", it was in the Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...lues-r9jl63m2q

* from Wikipedia - In English tort law, a super-injunction is a type of injunction that prevents publication of information that is in issue and also prevents the reporting of the fact that the injunction exists at all
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 22-09-2020 at 21:46.
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2020, 22:10   #5957
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
There are rumours flying about that he is having an affair with a Russian musician and that he is close to resigning because he is finding it difficult to live on the PM salary of £150,000 a year, is fed up of Brexit and the pandemic.
Well if he's managed to fit that in, he's gone up in my estimation !

Anyway, he says all we need is 'Resolve', isn't that a hangover cure ? Well done Bozza, he's a genius, he's found the cure and managed to have a great time.
Old 22-09-2020, 22:28   #5958
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you inject or snort?
Old 22-09-2020, 22:43   #5959
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

In fairness all except the affair were in the Times at the weekend citing “friends and colleagues” of the Tory leader. Unless you think he is above having an affair I don’t think Richard adding it to the conversation is that sensational.

We get that you are upset at criticism of dear leader, except of course his coronavirus response, but I don’t really see the issue with the comments given the press coverage.
Old 22-09-2020, 22:56   #5960
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because it is rumoured that there is super-injunction* in place, you will find it hard to find definite links about the violinist.

Re the "difficult to live on £150k a year", it was in the Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...lues-r9jl63m2q

* from Wikipedia - In English tort law, a super-injunction is a type of injunction that prevents publication of information that is in issue and also prevents the reporting of the fact that the injunction exists at all
Ah Boris and Olga the inspiration for Dr Zhivago 😁
Old 22-09-2020, 22:59   #5961
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
In fairness all except the affair were in the Times at the weekend citing “friends and colleagues” of the Tory leader. Unless you think he is above having an affair I don’t think Richard adding it to the conversation is that sensational.

We get that you are upset at criticism of dear leader, except of course his coronavirus response, but I don’t really see the issue with the comments given the press coverage.
I couldn’t give two fcuk’s about our ‘dear leader” or any other politician, at any level. As anyone that enters public office with big ideas of making the world a better place is soon suckling from the teet of money for nothing. Everyone, and I mean everyone, in both houses, are a waste of money. Most are Ill experienced or knowledgeable to do their jobs.

The real power in government lies with the Civil servants, this is what upset Cummings so much. Governments come and go, but the civil servants in the government departments are forever.
Old 22-09-2020, 23:42   #5962
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I couldn’t give two fcuk’s about our ‘dear leader” or any other politician, at any level. As anyone that enters public office with big ideas of making the world a better place is soon suckling from the teet of money for nothing. Everyone, and I mean everyone, in both houses, are a waste of money. Most are Ill experienced or knowledgeable to do their jobs.

The real power in government lies with the Civil servants, this is what upset Cummings so much. Governments come and go, but the civil servants in the government departments are forever.
I’m not sure what this has to do with asking Richard if he injects or snorts.

I’m with you though, more power to our leading Civil Servants like the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Adviser. True experts in their fields. Knob politicians in the 1922 Committee and others in the pockets of big business and property developers are ill experienced and lack the knowledge to deal with a global pandemic.
Old 23-09-2020, 00:24   #5963
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

How about we get back to the topic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 23-09-2020, 07:45   #5964
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I’m not sure what this has to do with asking Richard if he injects or snorts.

I’m with you though, more power to our leading Civil Servants like the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Adviser. True experts in their fields. Knob politicians in the 1922 Committee and others in the pockets of big business and property developers are ill experienced and lack the knowledge to deal with a global pandemic.
The chief medical and scientific officers of the UK are not civil servants, as in they are not permanent employees of HM Civil Service. They are government advisers. They feed in to the policy making process (very visibly so in the case of Covid response) but they lack the expertise to convert policy intentions into workable practices with a statutory or regulatory footing.

It is the employees permanently salaried to develop and operate the policies of HMG that do this, and therefore hold often unappreciated levels of power and influence. Many of these people remain in the same place for decades and are thoroughly immersed in their department’s culture (especially those serving the Great Offices). They develop a deeply-held belief in what can and cannot be done and it can be very difficult for any but the most skilled politician to truly control their department.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:04   #5965
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

We had an nteresting discussion last night as our 14 year was knocking about downstairs and watched the Prime Ministers broadcast.

Right afterwards, before we gave any thoughts, I asked what her impressions were of the speech to see what, if any, impact the speech had on an average 14 year old girl. Was it clear, was it inspiring, did you feel safer for watching, that kind of thing...

Her summary was 'it was a load of waffle' and 'it didn't really tell me anything'. Then, she showed me the government adverts on Tik Tok (boo, hiss, selling your data to China, etc.) The Government puts a LOT of adverts on that platform. Most of them are animated guides that I have seen elsewhere such as Facebook and Twitter (old peoples social media according to my daughter) But there were live action films from Matt Hancock there too. The message there was 'yes, this is rubbish but it will be worth it in the long run' and 'look after yourselves and others'. The messaging was very clear.

Obviously, the speech last night wasn't aimed at 14 year olds but it was interesting how the Government approaches communications for different groups and even more interesting having Matt Hancock as the Governments spokesman. Maybe he looks like your average geography teacher. He was very good though to be honest
Old 23-09-2020, 09:48   #5966
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The good old BBC Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister illustrates the relationship between the politicians and the civil service nicely for it's day and likely hasn't changed a great deal.

You at people around and generally people do look out for themselves first - panic buying, obey/disregarding rules and so on. Why should our leaders be any different? Especially in the commons they are "one of us" (yeah right!).

I think the PM is probably doing his best with lots of conflicting advice, balancing the health and "wealth" of the nation, keeping mindful of public reaction to policy, trying to negotiate "Brexit" deals, keep party in order and all the time under scrutiny with people ready to jump on any "mistake".
Old 23-09-2020, 12:28   #5967
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Coronavirus: Whitty and Vallance faced 'herd immunity' backlash, emails show

As the UK introduces fresh restrictions on social contact to curb the spread of coronavirus, controversy continues to rage about whether the government had initially considered trying a very different approach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54252272
Old 23-09-2020, 12:31   #5968
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

As the UK introduces fresh restrictions on social contact to curb the spread of coronavirus, controversy continues to rage about whether the government had initially considered trying a very different approach.

People make jokes about "Health and Safety" culture, but we are literally being held hostage in homes because of it now.
Old 23-09-2020, 12:49   #5969
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

As someone that was sceptical of the late lockdown and remains critical about the notion of herd immunity being completely unproven, I’m fairly sceptical why theee emails are coming out now. A half decent hack would have put that FOI in around May. Government response around June/July but they’ve sat on it until now...

Interesting by the Estsblishment state broadcaster. Maybe someone fancies a career shift into the private sector.
Old 23-09-2020, 12:51   #5970
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
People make jokes about "Health and Safety" culture, but we are literally being held hostage in homes because of it now.
I'm not.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Quote:
As someone that was sceptical of the late lockdown and remains critical about the notion of herd immunity being completely unproven, I’m fairly sceptical why theee emails are coming out now. A half decent hack would have put that FOI in around May. Government response around June/July but they’ve sat on it until now...

Interesting by the Estsblishment state broadcaster. Maybe someone fancies a career shift into the private sector.
Boris Broadcasting Corporation knows how to renew its charter.
Closed Thread