Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2020, 15:43   #5941
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Just drink faster and talk less.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Yes, agreed, every little helps. I suspect Tim Martin may not be inviting BoJo around to pull pints with him as he did earlier in the year.
to be honest i don't go to the pub anymore,but me and the oh used to go out at 7pm and come home around 6am, then we had kids and that all ended,i don't see the new generation going home to bed at 10pm it'll be booze n drugs at a mates house till stupid o'clock.

If the kebab shop is closed at 10pm i can see the police having some big problems up north.

Last edited by papa smurf; 22-09-2020 at 15:47.
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2020, 15:47   #5942
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
to be honest i don't go to the pub anymore,but me and the oh used to go out at 7pm and come home around 6am, then we had kids and that all ended,i don't see the new generation going home to bed at 10pm it'll be booze n drugs at a mates house till stupid o'clock.
Younger generations I know are far more sensible than mine. They would far prefer to save for a house deposit than spend on a big night out where their misadventures will be recorded on social media for all to see. I guess each generation rebels against the last to some extent.
Old 22-09-2020, 16:18   #5943
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Younger generations I know are far more sensible than mine. They would far prefer to save for a house deposit than spend on a big night out where their misadventures will be recorded on social media for all to see. I guess each generation rebels against the last to some extent.
Have you actually seen the number of mainly younger people out on the streets at the weekend and outside the bars?? Looked pretty busy to me.
Old 22-09-2020, 17:00   #5944
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Have you actually seen the number of mainly younger people out on the streets at the weekend and outside the bars?? Looked pretty busy to me.
I try and avoid busy drinking areas. But drinking in pubs and bars has been on the decline for a number of years. There's also more competition for younger people's time especially from computer gaming.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

An interesting article from Vince Cable. This is its conclusion.

Quote:
Trump understood that there is a trade-off: death rates versus economic (and re-election) damage. The Covid deaths of 200,000 Americans (under 0.1 per cent of the population, mostly poor, older people in states unlikely to vote Republican) were – for him – a price worth paying. However much we may deplore the president’s lack of moral compass, he understands these judgements.

By contrast, I listen with despair as the British prime minister flails around for solutions, constantly changing tack with the choices the country has to face. Equally baffling are opposition spokespeople who act as if policy should be based on the premise that there must never be a single Covid-19 death. That is a recipe for lockdown forever and everywhere. As a “vulnerable” person in my mid-70s I think I would take my chances in Stockholm.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...n-b514103.html
Old 22-09-2020, 17:15   #5945
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy if you are digging up my sarcastic posts from a couple of days ago to land a single shot it’s only showing your increasing desperation.

Delays save lives, Old Boy. The demand side of the economy.

We aren’t Sweden, cultural differences, I’d just accept the inevitable from here on in.

Interestingly while you are here - as a Sweden advocate - would you support the 40% of the UK workforce who can work from home continuing to do so - in line with the Swedish recommendations on making living with the virus sustainable?
A right old smorgasbord of points for OB to contradict!

My advice is at your risk.
Old 22-09-2020, 17:51   #5946
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
In England they describe ‘1 metres plus’ as supposedly safe. Outdoors is supposedly safe. Not really sure the purpose of this supposed inter-generational dispute other than to absolve the Government off blame for a) reopening too fact, b) an inadequate test, trace, isolate regime or c) a combination of both.
Old 22-09-2020, 17:58   #5947
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
In England they describe ‘1 metres plus’ as supposedly safe. Outdoors is supposedly safe. Not really sure the purpose of this supposed inter-generational dispute other than to absolve the Government off blame for a) reopening too fact, b) an inadequate test, trace, isolate regime or c) a combination of both.

From TV footage, there's no way most of them were even a foot apart in some instances.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:15   #5948
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
From TV footage, there's no way most of them were even a foot apart in some instances.
If you selectively seek out the most provocative footage of people in streets this is easily done at train stations, bus stations or other transport hubs. Or closing time when everyone has to pile out at the same time.

If this is happening in venues then enforcement by police or local authorities is required. Places are clearly being told there tables are suitably distanced where they are not.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:21   #5949
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
If you selectively seek out the most provocative footage of people in streets this is easily done at train stations, bus stations or other transport hubs. Or closing time when everyone has to pile out at the same time.

If this is happening in venues then enforcement by police or local authorities is required. Places are clearly being told there tables are suitably distanced where they are not.
Has anyone ever called you a control freak, jfman? Just askin'...
Old 22-09-2020, 18:30   #5950
jfman
Architect of Ideas

No but if the Daily Mail tells me something my default setting is that it’s a distraction from the details I should really be looking for.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:35   #5951
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Has anyone ever called you a control freak, jfman? Just askin'...
No one has ever been that nice
Old 22-09-2020, 20:14   #5952
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
An interesting article from Vince Cable. This is its conclusion.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...n-b514103.html

Vince talking sense.
Old 22-09-2020, 20:32   #5953
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Vince should volunteer to get infected. The Harold Shipman approach to immunity.

That’s a plan actually - we should pay these old folk writing these articles to get infected and self isolate for 28 days on a do not resuscitate basis. The amount of saved state pension in the long run will by far cover the accommodation costs.

Last edited by jfman; 22-09-2020 at 20:38.
Old 22-09-2020, 20:54   #5954
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think everyone who voted for Boris knew the kind of person they would get so I've been quite surprised by the buyer's remorse I've been reading over the last months. He's been promoted beyond his ability - good at a figurehead job like London Mayor (except for the wasteful spending on the garden bridge and routemasters) but terrible at leading the country. His lack of attention to detail and preference to wing it instead of working hard is well known.

This article today from the FT delves into some of the problems he is making within his own party regarding his approach to tackling the pandemic.

https://www.ft.com/content/50c34a1a-...5-4dc7bd4d176c
There are rumours flying about that he is having an affair with a Russian musician and that he is close to resigning because he is finding it difficult to live on the PM salary of £150,000 a year, is fed up of Brexit and the pandemic.
Old 22-09-2020, 21:35   #5955
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There are rumours flying about that he is having an affair with a Russian musician and that he is close to resigning because he is finding it difficult to live on the PM salary of £150,000 a year, is fed up of Brexit and the pandemic.
Links please.