Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 29-09-2016, 17:11   #571
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

The new TiVo (as I understand it) does away with the internal modem altogether.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2016, 17:23   #572
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Sorry, I thought it was rhetorical.

I'd like to imagine that a network PVR would have dedicated bandwidth, so would be unaffected by local congestion.
Thanks good to know that makes sense it would be seriously annoying if your areas congestion caused you issues when trying to watch your shows.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 19:36   #573
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder if local congestion is what's causing the TiVo to run slow?

People have noted that it seems worse in evening peak time, I've also noticed that it's worse in the early hours of the morning too when you'd think that demand would be low.

When it's really this bad you repeatedly get the "there's been an unexpected problem" error screen when attempting to get into 'My Shows'.

There's been suggestions that this is because it needs to access VM servers to perform some functions that I assumed would be done by the box itself.

Is this true and does it use the dedicated TiVo connection if it is?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 19:52   #574
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder if local congestion is what's causing the TiVo to run slow?

People have noted that it seems worse in evening peak time, I've also noticed that it's worse in the early hours of the morning too when you'd think that demand would be low.

When it's really this bad you repeatedly get the "there's been an unexpected problem" error screen when attempting to get into 'My Shows'.

There's been suggestions that this is because it needs to access VM servers to perform some functions that I assumed would be done by the box itself.

Is this true and does it use the dedicated TiVo connection if it is?
No, navigating through menus doesnt have anything to do with congestion, even if you were to pull the white coax out the back of the box so it has no signal it will still be slow

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Sorry, I thought it was rhetorical.

I'd like to imagine that a network PVR would have dedicated bandwidth, so would be unaffected by local congestion.
If its going through the hub how will virgin know what traffic is PVR?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 20:03   #575
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Well, it's almost October and still no news about the new tivo. About time we had the details now, assuming its still launching this year. Very surprised at the lack of leaks.
Old 29-09-2016, 20:12   #576
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Well, it's almost October and still no news about the new tivo. About time we had the details now, assuming its still launching this year. Very surprised at the lack of leaks.
What do you want to know?
Old 29-09-2016, 20:13   #577
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Patience Horizon....
Old 29-09-2016, 21:20   #578
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Even if you were in a highly utilised area, tivos lock onto docsis1 (although they can use the docsis 3 frequencies with no bonding, but I've only seen this a couple of times) all the d1 CMTS basically have the odd modem and the return path for stb's
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 21:44   #579
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What do you want to know?
Everything, but especially what can it do and what will it cost? And I think its already been mentioned that it will use the same software as current boxes, but I want this confirmed. I don't really see how the new boxes can be so much faster using the same software.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Patience Horizon....
BUt like everyone facing price rises and considering leaving VM, I want to know when the new tivo is coming and what it will cost? I am patient, but VM is not if I want to get out of contract due to the rises.

Last edited by Horizon; 29-09-2016 at 21:50.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 21:59   #580
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Everything, but especially what can it do and what will it cost? And I think its already been mentioned that it will use the same software as current boxes, but I want this confirmed. I don't really see how the new boxes can be so much faster using the same software.

BUt like everyone facing price rises and considering leaving VM, I want to know when the new tivo is coming and what it will cost? I am patient, but VM is not if I want to get out of contract due to the rises.
Doubtless, there will be plenty more price rises coming down the line, Horizon!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 22:34   #581
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Even if you were in a highly utilised area, tivos lock onto docsis1 (although they can use the docsis 3 frequencies with no bonding, but I've only seen this a couple of times) all the d1 CMTS basically have the odd modem and the return path for stb's
Whats that got to do with the v6?

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Quote:

What we know so far:

They use the same software as the Tivo, they are really quick, when you press MyShows, its loaded in the blink of an eye.
It has a RF remote so you can put in in a cupboard.
Its small, its about the same size as a VHD
It doesnt have a modem built in, it connects via wifi or ethernet.
It has 6 tuners
Old 29-09-2016, 22:35   #582
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

After having a play with one of these boxes i can assure you it is fast . BBC player loads very quick .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 22:40   #583
Horizon
Media Watcher

.... but so did the original tivo when it was launched? Does it use the same software as jb66 said it does? If so, that's worrying for a start.

When are we going to get the details? When, when , when.....
Old 29-09-2016, 22:43   #584
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

Makes the Tivo when it started still look slow . if i was to put the 2 boxes side by side the layout on screen is the same .It needs a cable modem to deliver some of the services as others have said it has ditched the inbuilt cable modem .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 06:03   #585
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Doubtless, there will be plenty more price rises coming down the line, Horizon!
Indeed that happens with all the companies out there in the market...