Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:44   #5821
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

OK folks I have been trying to do something about the coverage from the PIA meeting. I have emailed a contact at the BBC to see if they still have their audio footage of the meeting and whether or not they would be willing to release it.

I know it is not a video but if they do have it at least people will be able to hear what was said during the questions and answers panel at the end. Of course there is no guarantee they have it and even if they do there is no guarantee they would be willing to release it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I will update the thread as soon as I receive a reply.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57   #5822
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
I see virgin media has already changed there T&C's to suit phorm

G Your details and how we look after them

2. By having the services we provide installed in your home and/or by using them you are giving us your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the purposes of providing you with our services, service information and updates, administration, credit scoring, customer services, training, tracking use of our services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data), profiling your usage and purchasing preferences for so long as you are a customer and for as long as is necessary for these specified purposes after you terminate your services. We may occasionally use third parties to process your personal information in the ways outlined above. These third parties are permitted to use the data only in accordance with our instructions.

Pity vm dosent say what there instructions are and if they ever leave the country .
All this data to share with phorm yay (not) starting to get really peed off with events and people.

That has been one of the terns and conditions of service for a long time. Certainly over a year. http://web.archive.org/web/200702141...ble/terms.html
Old 06-05-2008, 12:06   #5823
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK folks I have been trying to do something about the coverage from the PIA meeting. I have emailed a contact at the BBC to see if they still have their audio footage of the meeting and whether or not they would be willing to release it.

I know it is not a video but if they do have it at least people will be able to hear what was said during the questions and answers panel at the end. Of course there is no guarantee they have it and even if they do there is no guarantee they would be willing to release it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I will update the thread as soon as I receive a reply.

Alexander Hanff
Wasn't channel 4 also recording the event?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09   #5824
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Wasn't channel 4 also recording the event?
If memory serves C4 were not in the lecture theatre during the panel at the end, they were recording interviews with key speakers from the event outside.

If I have no luck from the BBC I will contact C4, I think they wanted to have a follow up chat with me anyway since they never managed to record my speech at the meeting, but I have been so busy I haven't managed to chase that up yet.

Alexander Hanff
Old 06-05-2008, 12:24   #5825
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My biggest concern is this whole Phorm saga might damage the one good thing Simon had his good reputation which in turn will devalue all his future work with Privacy international.
"might damage" = has damaged

If Phorm goes ahead and it installed into the ISPs I have a feeling Simon may step down at Privacy International for personal reasons.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:41   #5826
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post

If Phorm goes ahead and it installed into the ISPs I have a feeling Simon may step down at Privacy International for personal reasons.
Personally I hope you are very wrong about that. The whole Phorm issue aside, Simon has been an amazing advocate fighting for privacy rights for the best part of 2 decades. I believe we would all lose out if Simon were to step down from PI.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:46   #5827
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post

I feel Simon needs to decide just where his expertise and best interest are, working with firms like phorm or defending the civilians that are going to be harmed, at risk or othewise unprotected from these types of privacy invading companies with devious past history.

Look at what has happened since this was taken on IE.
1.Video was promised to be online Simon had his name to the post saying this would happen he was the one to apologise for Phorms bad behaviour.

2. Miss leading quotes from Kent making Simons position harder.

3. Links with Phorm and BTs illegal tests ( not investigated yet maybe the report should be on hold until this is investigated)

4. Links into Russia with Russian scriptors websites hosting the only video of the public meeting hacked with the link in the iframe going back to Russia.

5. The depth of intrusion that phorm can do if these same Russian scriptors adjust the get commands ( this will be hidden from the public and possibly the ISP)

6. The fact Phorm is run by people who have a reputation of spyware ( no matter how Kent rephrases this it was spyware placed on peoples computers without informed consent)

7. The reasons given for needing phorm are false there are many alternatives out there cost nothing and not as intrusive into your privacy.

8. All Phorm can say is google just because google makes some money from adverts they give those using their search engine. but google brings visitors to your website and if a business customers, costs you nothing to use the service. While phorm will take them away use your site content to profile the person and direct them to businesses on Phorm's platform and give you nothing in return so an easy way to look at the difference is one gives for free the other takes for free I would like ot stay with the one that gives me plenty for free..

Now I can go on but I think 8 so far is more than enough to say why Phorm is bad for Customers, privacy, ISPs and Simon.
Old 06-05-2008, 13:18   #5828
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
<snip>

8. All Phorm can say is google just because google makes some money from adverts they give those using their search engine. but google brings visitors to your website and if a business customers, costs you nothing to use the service. While phorm will take them away use your site content to profile the person and direct them to businesses on Phorm's platform and give you nothing in return so an easy way to look at the difference is one gives for free the other takes for free I would like ot stay with the one that gives me plenty for free..

Now I can go on but I think 8 so far is more than enough to say why Phorm is bad for Customers, privacy, ISPs and Simon.
Not to mention the fact that if you (as either a consumer or website owner) don't want Google to "profile" you, then they do seem to respect your wishes, and even you don't believe they are respecting your wishes, their methods are easy to block.
Old 06-05-2008, 13:23   #5829
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

on the google thread.... more free offerings from yahoo too......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7385285.stm

seems to make webvise a bit redundant really...
Old 06-05-2008, 14:14   #5830
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogster View Post
on the google thread.... more free offerings from yahoo too......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7385285.stm

seems to make webvise a bit redundant really...
Posted that a few posts before and again no profiling of your internet or reading every packet that comes to your PC. Makes Kents words more like spyware than ever.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

While it is fresh in our minds that Phorm looks to have stolen the name and design of the log from an older company in Sheffield the name Webwise was in use in the BBC for schools befopre Phorm changed from 121media.. Doe this show some lack of imagination from managment or just it is cheaper to modify what is already about making more profit for them to scam off..MPO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/askbruc...pyware_1.shtml
Again my personal opinion

Perhaps BT, TalkTalk and VM need to do a complete investigation thems elves beore they become straggled by the redtape of what could be a con in full flow.
Old 06-05-2008, 14:45   #5831
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
{..}
While it is fresh in our minds that Phorm looks to have stolen the name and design of the log from an older company in Sheffield the name Webwise was in use in the BBC for schools befopre Phorm changed from 121media.. Doe this show some lack of imagination from managment or just it is cheaper to modify what is already about making more profit for them to scam off..MPO
{...}
Webwise = soft, fluffy name for users.
Phorm = name for financial markets and advertising community to show how hard they are.

-----

I've been thinking about one of 80/20's comments over the weekend. That blocking Phorm might involve a trade war with the US.

Does this mean that Smith & Wesson will be opening a Guns 'R Us in the near future?
Old 06-05-2008, 14:55   #5832
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Phorm = name stolen from

http://www.php-form.net/phormation.php

phorm.com even had hosted the download for it at some point.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/pho..._type=IEPlugin

Quote:
The title could not be determined.
URL of the download publisher: http://phorm.com/phormation.php
URL of the download: ftp://ftp.holotech.net/phorm/phninstall.zip
Old 06-05-2008, 15:18   #5833
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Phorm = name for financial markets and advertising community to show how hard they are.

-----

I've been thinking about one of 80/20's comments over the weekend. That blocking Phorm might involve a trade war with the US.

Does this mean that Smith & Wesson will be opening a Guns 'R Us in the near future?
MPO The US can have phorm and their trade there are plenty of fish in the sea and we are supposed to be a free country since when did we become USA prisoners to their will?

When did we surrender to anyone who tries blackmail to get something not palatable accepted?

Also if Phorm goes ahead where do you think the lion share of the money wil be not BT, VM or Talktalk but USA you can be sure Kent never seems to make a profit so obviously good at cooking...
Old 06-05-2008, 15:29   #5834
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post

-----

If that's true, it's another strike against democracy by "the land of the free"..
Old 06-05-2008, 16:07   #5835
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought you would all like to know what goes on over at the BT forum where a lot of us guys here came from.

A thread made by a fellow called Andrew (one of us here, I think) complaining about BT censoring their forums and removing any threads/posts mentioning Phorm and/or Webwise has just been removed from the forum.

I'm utterly disgusted at this and will be making a written complaint to BT about this.

Anyway, before they removed the thread, I grabbed a copy (it was in my cache) which I am going to up to my webspace somewhere; as soon as I do so, I will be inviting you all to PM me for the url to the thread. Obviously I can't post the url publicly as i can't afford to have BT threatening me.

OB
Closed Thread