Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 22:27   #5791
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I hadn't mentioned it but I did receive an email from a prominent legal expert (whom we all admire) requesting permission to use my section on Copyright, Designs and Patents Act for an upcoming ISPA Legal Forum as he considered it work original to me.
Alexander, if you haven't seen this post on vm.feedback you might enjoy it;

Are VirginMedia still part of the ISPA?

[Oct 2007 ISPA spokesman said] "ISPs cannot monitor or record the type of information passed over their network. ISPs are no more able to inspect and filter every single packet passing across their network than the Post Office is able to open every envelope. ISPs deal with many more packets of data each day than postal services and data protection legislation actually prevents ISPs from looking at the content of the packets sent," he added.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7059881.stm

[April 2008 Richard Clayton, Treasurer, FIPR said] "The Phorm system is highly intrusive -- it's like the Post Office opening all my letters to see what I'm interested in, merely so that I can be sent a better class of junk mail."
http://www.fipr.org/press/080317phorm.html
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 22:30   #5792
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Yeah I read the BBC article when it was published last year, but it is a good point all the same.

Alexander Hanff
Old 05-05-2008, 22:36   #5793
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post

Are VirginMedia still part of the ISPA?

[Oct 2007 ISPA spokesman said] "ISPs cannot monitor or record the type of information passed over their network. ISPs are no more able to inspect and filter every single packet passing across their network than the Post Office is able to open every envelope. ISPs deal with many more packets of data each day than postal services and data protection legislation actually prevents ISPs from looking at the content of the packets sent," he added.

[April 2008 Richard Clayton, Treasurer, FIPR said] "The Phorm system is highly intrusive -- it's like the Post Office opening all my letters to see what I'm interested in, merely so that I can be sent a better class of junk mail."
http://www.fipr.org/press/080317phorm.html

Now those would be good quotes to post on file sharing forums, I should think it would encourage bit-torrent users to sign the petition
Old 05-05-2008, 22:36   #5794
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Actually, from that same BBC article I noted this too

"'ISPA does not support abuses of copyright and intellectual property theft', said an ISPA spokesman."

... which doesn't fit well with the parasitic stealing of copyright web pages.
Old 05-05-2008, 22:40   #5795
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
{ snip }
{ snip }
This relates to the whole "mere conduit" argument I was referring to a few pages back. The ISPs often quote this kind of argument in reference to filesharing and the RIAA and MPAA etc yet when it comes to Phorm their "mere conduit" argument falls to pieces. They are being hypocritical in the extreme.
Old 05-05-2008, 22:41   #5796
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, from that same BBC article I noted this too

"'ISPA does not support abuses of copyright and intellectual property theft', said an ISPA spokesman."

... which doesn't fit well with the parasitic stealing of copyright web pages.
None the less, the ISPA do seem very enthusiastic about Phorm http://www.nma.co.uk/Logon/ResourceB...icleID%3d37294
Old 05-05-2008, 22:43   #5797
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Joining BT forums:

I joined using my BT phone account - I am not a BT broadband user. A lot of the forums are specifically to do with phones not broadband.
Old 05-05-2008, 23:04   #5798
SpinyNorman
Inactive

SpinyNorman is an unknown quantity at this point

Touching on what Dephormation said about ISPA

From the ISPA code of practice
http://www.ispa.org.uk/about_us/page_16.html

Quote:
4.1 Members shall comply with UK legislation relating to data protection.
so no interception then

Quote:
4.3 Where Services involve the collection of personal information, such as names and addresses, from individuals (Data Subjects), Members shall make it clear to Data Subjects the purpose for which such information will be used. Members shall also identify the data user (if different from the Member or Data Subject) and give the Data Subject the opportunity to object to such usage where it is not essential for provision of the service.
Now I really don't think Phorm/webwise is essential for provision of service.
Old 05-05-2008, 23:09   #5799
Dephormation
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
Touching on what Dephormation said about ISPA
From the ISPA code of practice
http://www.ispa.org.uk/about_us/page_16.html#Data%20prot
ISPA seem to be struggling with two conflicting corporate personalities at the moment.

Deep Packet Inspection - they can't decide whether they can or can't do it (but it seems that goat has now been ritually sacrificed for greed).

Privacy - they can't decide whether the law applies to them, or doesn't.

Copyright - they do not support copyright and intellectual property theft, but don't think laws of copyright apply to them when they steal web content for profiling

At very least, they are getting some very odd and very inconsistent legal advice.
Old 05-05-2008, 23:11   #5800
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
I had issues trying to sign up. Maybe due to me using safari. Oh well am sure there are many there trying to take the fight to BT
BT don't like Safari. It doesn't cope with Webwise...
Old 05-05-2008, 23:15   #5801
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
BT don't like Safari. It doesn't cope with Webwise...
Exactly the reason I am now using safari for the majority of my surfing.
Old 05-05-2008, 23:19   #5802
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi All, I expect that a lot of you have seen "Phorm" related stuff on YouTube but just in case anybody else would like to look here is the link -
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...m&search_type=
keep up the hard work you lot, you are all just brilliant!

davethejag
Old 05-05-2008, 23:19   #5803
tee cee
Inactive

tee cee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
None the less, the ISPA do seem very enthusiastic about Phorm http://www.nma.co.uk/Logon/ResourceB...icleID%3d37294
That spokesman would be Nicholas Lansman .. long standing PR highflyer who formed a company "Political Intelligence". a lobbying company in Westminster.
BE WARNED ... He has the ear of the govt

tongue forked springs to mind

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/.../trustees.aspx
Old 05-05-2008, 23:28   #5804
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

[COLOR="Blue"]Are VirginMedia still part of the ISPA?

And that was also an interesting quote from Lord Triesman, member of the Government
Lord Triesman, the parliamentary Under Secretary for Innovation, Universities and Skills, said intellectual property theft would not be tolerated.

I've given it a whirl on BT Beta forums.
Should we be contacting the Lord Triesman and asking him if he feels just as srongly about Webwise/Phorm?
Old 05-05-2008, 23:38   #5805
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post

cut---

this site being hacked again smacks a lot of insider and yes Kent is my number 1 suspect considering it is the only videos of the meeeting and phorm failed to release theirs. I hope the hosting company checks logs and starts to report this to authorities people like them have to learn we will not take this type of ebullying...

I have downloaded all the videos so if anyone wants a copy I can upload and send links over pm
Can't we put the video's youtube? or are they there already?
Closed Thread