Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2020, 19:45   #5581
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

As far as I can see the Government has been increasing the capacity for processing tests ever since the pandemic started. There were not enough NHS labs in existance and, IMHO, it would not have been possible to build all the new facilities the NHS would have needed in the time given so going to the private sector was the only way possible. Emergency plannig could never be expected to be able to cope with such an unprecidented demand either at NHS or in the private sector

Can't find a singe neat link covering the increases of Laboritory capacity but here are just a few.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/n...-testing-labs/

https://www.rcpath.org/uploads/asset...9-Testing-NHS-

Laboratories.pdfhttps://www.medicaldevice-network.com/comment/lighthouse-labs-uk-covid-19-testing/
Old 14-09-2020, 19:47   #5582
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We're not employed to do better nor are we responsible for it. They are.
That's what makes it so easy for you to criticise, Damien.

Have you got sacked everytime someone who knows not very much decides to criticise your work?
Old 14-09-2020, 19:55   #5583
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

If the selfish brigade who have absolutely no symptoms stop taking up valuable testing, designed for people who really do have symptoms, then maybe, just maybe, more places would become available for those in need of a test.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:56   #5584
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Are yes, the age old answer to everything, because that always solves the problem
Repeated incompetence would get you the sack in any other job.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:58   #5585
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Have you got sacked everytime someone who knows not very much decides to criticise your work?
This is a nonsense argument.

The Government are and should be held to account on the results of what they produce. The logical conclusion of your argument that since we're not in charge we cannot judge is an argument to never criticising the Government at all.

I somehow doubt that this understanding would be extended by you to anything else and just seems to be involved in this one instance but you don't like it.

Forgive me if I am wrong and you've never criticised anyone in a position of authority you don't have?

And even when we do actually know something about what they're doing. Such as their NHS app that was never going to work and then turned out not to work we're still not allowed to criticise the Government.

Last edited by Damien; 14-09-2020 at 20:02.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:59   #5586
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If the selfish brigade who have absolutely no symptoms stop taking up valuable testing, designed for people who really do have symptoms, then maybe, just maybe, more places would become available for those in need of a test.
l see lets demonise another group again as its such a easy thing to do to divert the blame from such wonderful world beating testing....
Old 14-09-2020, 20:00   #5587
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There’s actually no real evidence for this. Nice of the Government to throw up a straw man though for their fans to use as a diversion tactic.

Still we will have 10 million tests a day by February. Hopefully they won’t get stuck at Calais as we send them to Germany for lab capacity.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:02   #5588
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ah yes, I forgot you have subscribed to the paranoia.

The very small minority who get really ill will end up in hospital, where they can be treated properly, and as part of that, it will be verified if its down to CV19.

The vast majority of people will get a few symptoms, perhaps feel a little ill, and shake it off.
In fact, your own previous posts were telling us how we are all likely getting immune to it without even knowing.

Its amazing how many members of this forum would manage to do so much better, after the fact of course.
Oh right, I forgot this whole pandemic is just mass, global hysteria for no reason. Next you'll be telling me that hundreds of thousands of people haven't died.

Quote:
Not really. You may recall that there were issues about the accuracy of the tests. This is not as straight forward as some would have us believe.
Oh I know it's not straightforward at all, all the more reason why I'd prefer the best people were in charge of dealing with it.

Quote:

You don't have to be an expert to know if something could be done better. If nothing else, the government should at least release a statement on the matter rather than letting us wait for Nicola Sturgeon to call them out on it. I'm a big fan of transparency but right now there's no bloody tests and there's nary a word from the government.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:03   #5589
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
This is a nonsense argument.

The Government are and should be held to account on the results of what they produce. The logical conclusion of your argument that since we're not in charge we cannot judge is an argument to never criticising the Government at all.

I somehow doubt that this understanding would be extended by you to anything else and just seems to be involved in this one instance but you don't like it.

Forgive me if I am wrong and you've never criticised anyone in a position of authority you don't have?
You’re wasting your time. Old Boy’s wild contortions and contradictions throughout this thread can only be summarised by the Government are right, all of the time, even when being right at a later point contradicts being right initially. Nobody, nobody, could have done better. Ever.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:03   #5590
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s actually no real evidence for this. Nice of the Government to throw up a straw man though for their fans to use as a diversion tactic.

Still we will have 10 million tests a day by February. Hopefully they won’t get stuck at Calais as we send them to Germany for lab capacity.
You can believe what you want, but I know for a fact people that have done this, and if that's what's happening with a few people I know, then I'm pretty sure it's happening all over.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:04   #5591
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Oh right, I forgot this whole pandemic is just mass, global hysteria for no reason. Next you'll be telling me that hundreds of thousands of people haven't died.

Oh I know it's not straightforward at all, all the more reason why I'd prefer the best people were in charge of dealing with it.

You don't have to be an expert to know if something could be done better. If nothing else, the government should at least release a statement on the matter rather than letting us wait for Nicola Sturgeon to call them out on it. I'm a big fan of transparency but right now there's no bloody tests and there's nary a word from the government.
The official line is they would have to have either died anyway or died of something else.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:05   #5592
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

My East European boiler service man spent about 20 minutes this morning telling me all about how Covid is a Jewish conspiracy. It’s a bit of a nuisance, I have quite an old wood pellet (biomass) boiler and there are very few people qualified to service it. So I just nodded and smiled and waited for him to go away.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:05   #5593
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l see lets demonise another group again as its such a easy thing to do to divert the blame from such wonderful world beating testing....
That's a stupid comment, I expected better from you, Den, I'm not demonising anyone, just pointing out that its been happening.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:07   #5594
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Repeated incompetence would get you the sack in any other job.
In my experience, of 3 large companies, over 40 years, no, it wont.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Oh right, I forgot this whole pandemic is just mass, global hysteria for no reason. Next you'll be telling me that hundreds of thousands of people haven't died..
Being an ass as usual.

Hundreds of thousands of people have died of many things, billions have not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:08   #5595
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Scotland wasn't being singled out. Then again, why doesn't Scotland do it's own?
Closed Thread