Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 21:08   #5431
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
Hi everyone,

first, sincere apologies for my recent absence from the forums. This has been a week from hell, traveling extensively and dealing with other deadlines.

Many thanks again to Alexander, who, as alwaysm has been a star.

Just to reiterate what Alexander reported, 80/20 had no role in recording the public meeting. Our job was simply to organise the venue and speakers. I'm afraid I can't tell you any more about the video or any schedule for its release or otherwise. Right at the moment our key issue is securing information from the ISP's so we can complete the PIA.

We do need to have the PIA finalised soon. We've had some extremely valuable input from so many people and we continue to receive this input. My hope is that we can bring this part of the process to a conclusion fairly promptly so everyone can consider how to move forward.

Best wishes

Simon

Simon,

Before you finish dotting the i's and crossing the t's on your report have you considered speaking to some of the BT whistle blowers that have since surfaced? I'm sure we could put you in touch with one or two of the BT staff that might throw some extra light on this Phorm******* project.

regards
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2008, 21:13   #5432
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Simon,

Before you finish dotting the i's and crossing the t's on your report have you considered speaking to some of the BT whistle blowers that have since surfaced? I'm sure we could put you in touch with one or two of the BT staff that might throw some extra light on this Phorm******* project.

regards
Hello BadPhormula

to cableforum the more the merrier on the phorm fighting front..
Old 02-05-2008, 21:18   #5433
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Extended Web Interview on BBC Click???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7380384.stm

Can someone tell me if that is less edited that the version in the show? Their flash break my browser.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 21:30   #5434
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Simon,

regards
Welcome BadPhormula, and a very good suggestion. I'm sure any questions would be answered far more quickly than anything that may be outstanding with the ISP's.
Old 02-05-2008, 21:37   #5435
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Y'know, it's good to see this thread getting its edge again. Some good ol' plain talking is a great way to sharpen the wits for the real battle and that is in persuading our ISP that in this venture it has become a case of choosing sides between their very own paying subscribers and Phorm. Those big dollar easy money signs are clouding their judgement at the moment but I think they'll do the decent thing in the end.

Nice to hear from you again Simon (even if the message about the video is confusing ) but you must have a wry smile when you read comments like "Simon is a pawn" and "Simon is being used" and "Simon is innocent" (sorry, I made the last one up) I mean, really, please.

Readers, Simon is a big boy; he knows full well what this commission is all about and that this is a money deal, there's no wrestling with conscience that goes with it. It is business. There are no morals in business.

I have a new weblies mantra: you can fool 80% of the people some of the time and you can fool 20% of the people all of the time but I'm Thinking that you can't fool all of the people all of the time .
Old 02-05-2008, 21:38   #5436
Pasanonic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV + MUTV 20MB Phone.
Pasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post

Can someone tell me if that is less edited that the version in the show? Their flash break my browser.

Alexander Hanff

No Alex, that is not what I remember ( on a quick glance ) to have been in the original BBC click stream. The latter comments seemed new to me. ( yours especially )
I did attempt to grab the original video to put on youtube but I lost the audio for some reason.

edit:/ to be clear, there appears to be more content in your link.

I could be wrong, I've had a beer and will have to review both streams again
Old 02-05-2008, 21:43   #5437
Hank

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
There's defo a difference Alexander. Like for example, on the BBC Click prog, when you discuss Anti-Phishing, you make the point about it being in IE7 and he says "Which is switched off by default" (19mins in) wheras on the news version there is a bit of a further quip from Kent about that being interesting. Comes over on the news that he's made a good point really but then you did come back with facts about parliamentary discussions.

After the Pony discussion, there's no reference to the handful of people which 12,000 petition signatures represents etc and it's a shame that it misses off the part where the interviewer suggests the temperature in the room was boiling hot

Hank

Old 02-05-2008, 21:45   #5438
Pasanonic
Inactive

Pasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about themPasanonic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Simon,

regards
Good points if not the best way of addressing things ( I have a great aversion to the use of the word **** in any area )

I think you echo my sentiments that the PIA will have failed to comply with a few of the ICO recommendations regarding how a PIA should be performed and especially with respect to the people who should be spoken to regarding the issues. Specifically part II-2 relating to the stakeholder analysis.
Old 02-05-2008, 21:53   #5439
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Hello BadPhormula

to cableforum the more the merrier on the phorm fighting front..
Thank you Florence, I'm actually quite vocal over on BadPhorm. Why don't you come over to BadPhorm, we love to kick K*nt around like an old football.

I do enjoy lurking on CF though
Old 02-05-2008, 21:53   #5440
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasanonic View Post
Indeed. There is already a company ( forgive my vagueness, I'll look it up after I type ) who are offering UK students free mobile phones and free minutes in exchange for nothing more than accepting texts from advertisers.
That again is acceptable to me, there is a clear benefit for all parties and there is choice. ( take it or leave it )
Suspect you're thinking of Blyk who are just celebrating their 100,000th signup -- they offer 217 free texts and 43 free minutes (to any UK network) every month in return for receiving texts or MMSs for products and services reasonably well targeted at their exclusive 18-24 market.
(A Blyk user has been writing day-by-day accounts of his experience (and listing all the ads) for SMS Text News and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as bad as I'd expected.)

But I'm thinking more of intelligent(?), 'contextual' targeted mobile advertising: imagine a menu item on your phone called "Nearest to me" which leads to a list of categories (eg. cashpoint, pub, pizza, bus stop, hospital, petrol), select one and not only does your phone give you the name, address and phone number but also a map showing your location, the 'target' location and directions to get there. In time, it could even know what kind of pub you like and which bus you're likely to be catching and offer you it's timetable...

Many businesses would pay a small fortune for those clicks -- not least the nearest florist to the hospital! -- and, I suspect most people would be happy for the assistance rather than feeling like a bucket for ad-fodder.

In my less than humble opinion, *that's* the area of advertising that'll succeed in the future.
Old 02-05-2008, 21:56   #5441
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent;
"The reality is that most people would like it (webwise) turned on by default".
Where does he get that gem from? The only thing I want turned on by default is Kylie Minogue. lol
Old 02-05-2008, 22:05   #5442
BadPhormula
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasanonic View Post
Good points if not the best way of addressing things ( I have a great aversion to the use of the word **** in any area )
Well I'm sorry you don't like my choice of expressing myself but Phormscum has that kind of effect everytime I think of them. They are total retches and it boils my blood that cheeky K*nt has managed to get as far as he has. However I'm sure the yin/yang will balance itself out when I see him skidding along Heathrow runway in his MiG trying to get off in a hurry, when Phorm finally fails.
Old 02-05-2008, 22:14   #5443
Pasanonic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
In my less than humble opinion, *that's* the area of advertising that'll succeed in the future.
That's an area of advertising that I feel I, and I suspect many people would find useful.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:
Well I'm sorry you don't like my choice of expressing myself but Phormscum has that kind of effect everytime I think of them. They are total retches and it boils my blood that cheeky K*nt has managed to get as far as he has. However I'm sure the yin/yang will balance itself out when I see him skidding along Heathrow runway in his MiG trying to get off in a hurry, when Phorm finally fails.

hehe, I don't want to censure your opinion and you are welcome to it my friend.

Given the mention of the MIG again can I just point out that in 2001 I went to Russia with Incredible adventures and flew in a MIG -25 Foxbat as part of their 'edge of space' offering.
This was the most fantastic experience of my life and I suspect will only be beaten if I go back as they now offer the experience in a MIG -31 Foxhound.
As an amateur pilot there could be no better thing for me and I have Kent to thank for that experience. He was of course long gone when I took up my option but without his entrepreneurial foresight in that area I'd never have had the chance.

As he has said, he is not the devil. He is however, in this poster's opinion, an idiot. ( IANAP) p=psychiatrist
Old 02-05-2008, 22:21   #5444
BadPhormula
cf.addict

Quote:

Alexander Hanff

This is a different version. It doen't have all the Phorm fluff at the beginning and it has some of the fight scenes that were omitted from the sanitised TV version.
Old 02-05-2008, 22:26   #5445
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
This is a different version. It doen't have all the Phorm fluff at the beginning and it has some of the fight scenes that were omitted from the sanitised TV version.
That made me chuckle thanks.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread