Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 23-09-2016, 16:17   #526
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Strange, that. One would have thought that a tuner would be reserved for 'on demand' viewing. I have lost track of the number of times I've been watching something from on demand and then get a dialogue box come up to say the box needs the tuner for recording.

It puts you off using it, and now I get into Catch Up only through my smart TV. I haven't seen any of the Virgin exclusives so far for that very reason.

Not having them allocated makes more sense to me. If one was dedicated solely to On Demand, then when on demand is not being watched, you have more tuners available for live recordings.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2016, 16:24   #527
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Not having them allocated makes more sense to me. If one was dedicated solely to On Demand, then when on demand is not being watched, you have more tuners available for live recordings.
Yes, I get that, but the fact that there is not a dedicated tuner for on demand programmes puts you off using it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 18:30   #528
blue666666
Inactive

Services: XL tv bb 200 mb tivo 500gb box
blue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to allblue666666 is a name known to all

is there any new news on the v6 like launch date or specs of the box we know it can do 4k
blue666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 18:53   #529
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The best thing to do is watch this space....
Old 24-09-2016, 22:04   #530
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

According to the VM contact centre advisor i talked to today in order to use the new box you must have the Superhub 3 anybody know why that may be?
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 00:24   #531
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
According to the VM contact centre advisor i talked to today in order to use the new box you must have the Superhub 3 anybody know why that may be?
You need a superhub 2 or 3 and on at least 100meg BB due to the fact the new v6 tivo doesn't have a built in modem
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:12   #532
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

He was adament that superhub 3 was required, he hinted he was testing one of the new boxes and in order to do that had to change to the superhub 3. But of course this could all have been a ruse to get me to upgrade my modem.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 14:56   #533
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, I get that, but the fact that there is not a dedicated tuner for on demand programmes puts you off using it.

That, I just don't get.
Old 25-09-2016, 15:02   #534
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Why do you need a tuner for on demand? I always thought as it was a streamed service it dodnt actually need a tuner anyway.

As you can record three things and still watch on demand.
Old 25-09-2016, 15:25   #535
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If you try to watch VOD when all 3 tuners are in use, it asks if you want to stop one of the recordings to do so. If you tell it to carry on as it was, you can't use VOD.

Is there an easy way to know if the box is using the VOD system or an app?

Is the new box not having its own modem a good or a bad thing?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:47   #536
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why do you need a tuner for on demand? I always thought as it was a streamed service it dodnt actually need a tuner anyway.

As you can record three things and still watch on demand.
Er - have you actually tried out that theory, Stephen?

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you try to watch VOD when all 3 tuners are in use, it asks if you want to stop one of the recordings to do so. If you tell it to carry on as it was, you can't use VOD.
That's right, Richard.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:
That, I just don't get.
It is annoying to have something you are watching interrupted by a dialogue box saying that it needs to use a tuner and then you have to remember to watch the rest at a later date.

This is not the case with apps such as the I-player or Netflix, of course.
Old 25-09-2016, 16:19   #537
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

It is annoying to have something you are watching interrupted by a dialogue box saying that it needs to use a tuner and then you have to remember to watch the rest at a later date.

This is not the case with apps such as the I-player or Netflix, of course.

Given that you know that if you have all 3 tuners active at a given time, OD won't be available to watch at that time. Therefore, simply choose another time to watch the OD show.

Don't limit the availability of three recordable tuners, when the solution to your problem is a simple one.
Old 25-09-2016, 16:53   #538
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Given that you know that if you have all 3 tuners active at a given time, OD won't be available to watch at that time. Therefore, simply choose another time to watch the OD show.

Don't limit the availability of three recordable tuners, when the solution to your problem is a simple one.
Or get something with 12 tuners and call it Q
Old 25-09-2016, 17:19   #539
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Well, given that I don't start viewing until about 8.30 pm and the three tuners are normally I use between 9 and 11 pm, this doesn't work for me. The three tuners are used because they are recording programmes I want to see and so limiting my recordings is not really what I want to do.
Old 25-09-2016, 17:30   #540
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Well, given that I don't start viewing until about 8.30 pm and the three tuners are normally I use between 9 and 11 pm, this doesn't work for me. The three tuners are used because they are recording programmes I want to see and so limiting my recordings is not really what I want to do.

Reducing your recordable tuners to two would make your problems worse. OD can be watched any time; scheduled shows have limited recording opportunities.

Your plan would cause more problems than you want it to solve.

Have you thought of looking at your planned recordings list before starting to watch an OD show?